Packing Cubes

ChuckL88

I know HAL will provide a power strip if notified ahead of time, can't speak for other lines. You cannot take a strip or splitter that has a surge protector; it is a fire hazard. You should be able to take one that does not have a surge protector -- these are generally sold as "extension cords" at least over here... those sold for computers et al will usually have a surge protector. If "joules" are mentioned, it has a surge protector.

I took five short multiplugs (one for each cabin of my family group) on recent AK cruise. No one pulled them out to check for (lack of) surge protection! But please don't try to sneak one on that has surge protection -- fire at sea is not to be risked. (I know you wouldn't try this Chuck, talking to other readers.)

I know HAL will provide a power strip if notified ahead of time, can't speak for other lines. You cannot take a strip or splitter that has a surge protector; it is a fire hazard. You should be able to take one that does not have a surge protector -- these are generally sold as "extension cords" at least over here... those sold for computers et al will usually have a surge protector. If "joules" are mentioned, it has a surge protector.

I took five short multiplugs (one for each cabin of my family group) on recent AK cruise. No one pulled them out to check for (lack of) surge protection! But please don't try to sneak one on that has surge protection -- fire at sea is not to be risked. (I know you wouldn't try this Chuck, talking to other readers.)

Thanks for the faith Crystal I wouldn't dream of it, I have read that Carnival's room steward can give you a "power board" aussie lingo when requested. I am thinking of taking my own though something like this.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/4-port-usb-charging-station/2197801

Do you think that will be ok? Not the actual one I was looking at but does the same job

My old ones are Eagle Creek. I got more off Amazon--I don't know the brand and am too lazy to walk into another room to look, but they were cheap things. I've also picked up various plastic envelopes for storing paperwork and odds and ends (like cables or whatever).

I fold clothes in them; I don't roll.

There's virtually nothing I won't put in a cube or envelope or other organizing object, frankly, as long as it fits. I love it. I also recently bought a drawstring laundry bag for my laundry and one of those hangable rolls for toiletries.

I am thinking of taking my own though something like this.

Do you think that will be ok? Not the actual one I was looking at but does the same job

The one you linked seems to be OK, no "joules" mentioned and no reset switch (another tip-off) shown.

Looks OK to me; not a guarantee it will be allowed but you can protest "NO SURGE PROTECTOR"! and good luck!

The one you linked seems to be OK, no "joules" mentioned and no reset switch (another tip-off) shown.

Looks OK to me; not a guarantee it will be allowed but you can protest "NO SURGE PROTECTOR"! and good luck!

Thanks again Crystal, and protest I will

We too use the 2.5 gallon Hefty bags. I lay out an outfit (shirt, shorts, underwear, socks), put it in a bag and press all of the air out of it before sealing. When I get up in the morning before wife, I grab a bag and head for the shower. That way, I don't have to be rummaging around trying to find clothes and wake her up.

We fly in so it makes it nice if our luggage gets searched we don't have to worry about them pawing through our clothes and making a mess.

I have never used or needed packing cubes. With a couple of exceptions, I have been around the world with a carry-on, a backpack, and a purse that fits in my backpack.

My nature is to pack just what I need, which is not much, and no more. I don't overstuff my carry-on so wrinkles are not a big issue.

I'm a self-identified packing perfectionist. I tried using packing cubes once but didn't like them. '

I pack by using the right size bag, not cramming it full, and carefully folding everything as flat as possible. I generally have very good luck using this method and can fit more in a bag than by using packing cubes or by rolling. Clothes hardly wrinkled -- of course, I don't take things that wrinkle a lot anyway (e.g., no linens, no crisp cottons).