What's your favorite US departure port?

What's your Favorite US Departure Port?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite US Departure Port?

What's your favorite U.S. Departure Port?

Baltimore, MD

Bayonne, NJ

Boston, MA

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Galveston, TX

Los Angeles, CA

Miami, FL

Norfolk, VA

Port Canaveral, FL

San Diego, CA

San Juan, PR

Seattle, WA

Seward, AK

Tampa, FL

I Love the proximity of the airport, hotels and cruiseport in Ft. Lauderdale. In contrast Galveston is just awful. Incredibly long ride from the airport there. I haven't been out of Port Canaveral yet, but that seems to have a similar problem with a long and very expensive ride from Orlando to get there. Tampa felt very crowded and maybe even a little difficult to figure out.

My evaluation of the cruise ports is skewed because I'm coming from up north and have to fly in. I have no idea what the parking or drive in is like.

I voted Port Canaveral and Miami. Both are different experiences, I love the gorgeous setting sailing out of Miami, but I love how easy Canaveral is and that it's not a long drive from home, on the other hand, the area looks like a nuclear plant.

You left out Jacksonville, Fl which does have a nuclear plant in full view of the dock! Not to mention really ugly river water, but Dames Point Bridge is neat.

I love San Juan. Just the fact that it is a destination all in itself. Also the dock is right there in Old San Juan so you get to see a whole lot.

I do love the Miami skyline and the view of South Beach when sailing out of there.

EDIT: I just realized I had moved over to the RCL board. Just ignore the Jacksonville comment....

I Love the proximity of the airport, hotels and cruiseport in Ft. Lauderdale.

My evaluation of the cruise ports is skewed because I'm coming from up north and have to fly in. I have no idea what the parking or drive in is like.

Agreed with all points made!

For a First Time Cruiser.... nothing beats the ambiance of the Port of Miami BUT.......... I think Boston is the EASIEST for checking in. MassPort has PLENTY of people waiting and eager to asssit with your embarkation. SMOOTH..........

I like leaving from Galveston best because it's only about an hour drive from the house. It's so much easier if you don't have to fly. However, the itineraries from Galveston are not attractive. I've been to Cozumel enough already!

The itineraries from Fort Lauderdale and San Juan are so much more attractive to me, I love the southern Caribbean islands. I just wish I didn't have to fly to get there. :(

You left out Jacksonville, Fl which does have a nuclear plant in full view of the dock! Not to mention really ugly river water, but Dames Point Bridge is neat.

I love San Juan. Just the fact that it is a destination all in itself. Also the dock is right there in Old San Juan so you get to see a whole lot.

I do love the Miami skyline and the view of South Beach when sailing out of there.

EDIT: I just realized I had moved over to the RCL board. Just ignore the Jacksonville comment....

Just for the record,that's not a nuke plant.It is our new clean air electric company power plant.The stacks just look like a nuclear plant.

While I voted for Miami as my favorite because of the incredible views in every direction, I have to also give Honorable Mention to Fort Lauderdale because the sail away is so fantastic, especially if it is dark. Folks up in those big apartment buildings wave, blow horns and sirens, flash lights etc. It is a fabulous send off.

That said, Fort Lauderdale last season had some serious downside. I remember one December cruise that was a monster of an effort just to get to the ship. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper, including delivery trucks. It was chaos at the luggage drop off. The lines were twenty cars deep at the port security gate. Finding a parking place was a challenge.

Once on the ship, all was heaven, but what a frustration it was to get to the ship! That weekend, I think all the world's biggest cruise ships were in that very port. It was an awesome sight to see, but the port was overwhelmed, pure and simple.

Just for the record,that's not a nuke plant.It is our new clean air electric company power plant.The stacks just look like a nuclear plant.

Thank you for the correction. I have sailed out of there twice now and always wondered. Right after I posted that I thought I should do a little research and see if that was an actual nuclear power plant..

Port Canaveral is in the lead, with Miami in Second, Ft. Lauderdale in third, San Juan in fourth, and Bayonne in fifth! (And my favorite, Galveston, is currently in sixth!) And Way to go Boston, Seattle, & Seward! Each have 0 votes! :eek:

Archived