Sticker shock!!

Hal from Ohio

Plan to cruise a few days before visiting parents in Texas. Looking at Continental. Flying open jaw (I think?!?) on the following dates:

11/29/09 CLE-FLL

12/05/09 MIA-MFE

12/08/09 MFE-CLE

Price for 2 has been hanging around $1.200-$1,300 for the past few weeks. Today I checked and the price skyrocketed to nearly $2,300. Doesn't appear that many seats have sold. I've never experienced a swing in pricing that dramatic. Anyone have a clue what may be driving the crazy prices?

Also saw those prices from CO. You can drop them by about $85 per head by flying into FLL on Saturday instead of Sunday. Highly recommended - more cushion before your cruise, nice night to stay in FLL with a good rest before boarding, and a cash savings even with a hotel night tossed in (Priceline name-your-price is a good source for hotels in Florida).

Doesn't appear that many seats have sold.

What gives you that impression?

I've never experienced a swing in pricing that dramatic. Anyone have a clue what may be driving the crazy prices?

Although it doesn't seem to be the case this time round doubling and tripling of prices overnight is not uncommon. Travel or book tickets enough and you'll see it.

Flying open jaw (I think?!?) on the following dates:

Doesn't appear that many seats have sold.

First, what makes you think this? Do you have a line into the internal reservations information at the airlines? If you're looking a seat maps, forget it - they tell you next to nothing about how many tickets have been sold.

Second, you're not making a open jaw trip; you're making what's known as a circle trip. These can be difficult to price. But when you combine that with going to a really out-of-the-way place like MFE, that may be a factor in really high prices.

I haven't had time to do any detailed research, but a quick and dirty look suggests that you may well get cheaper prices if you buy a round-trip ticket from CLE to FLL (or MIA), and then another "nested" round-trip ticket from FLL (or MIA) to MFE. Give that a try; play around with the Florida airports to see if one is better than another.

Another vote for flying into FLL a day early. Since you live around Cleveland, you know that the weather is very unpredictable. All you need is a snow or ice delay. Go down a day early, get a nice price on a hotel on Hotwire, and relax by the pool :D

Joe<---Just countin' down the days! :D

We learned our lesson well while flying out of CLE to FLL in March 2008 to board Celebrity's Millenium. Our flight to FLL was cancelled as Northeast Ohio experienced the worst snowstorm in 25 years (the storm closed Cleveland Hopkins for the first time in 25 years). We had booked the air through Celebrity because the price was $149 per person round trip. As a result of the delay, Celebrity and Continental made arrangements to fly us to the ship's first port (San Juan) on Tuesday. First thing we saw in our stateroom was a letter of apology from Celebrity, and refund of $700 for the two days we missed. All this after flying 8 of us to San Juan at no additional charge.

We were absolutely blown away. The cruise line has no control over the weather. We were just thankful to get out of Ohio's winter and join the ship. Lesson learned .... now we will always fly in a day early and purchase travel insurance.

I have also noticed that flights are extremely high for the week in Feb that I need. We have zero flexibility on our dates and most flights BUF to FLL for 2 adults are over $1000. I realize that it's high-season but that's a far cry from what we're used to paying. :(

2P.P1

When you have zero flexibility, you are at the mercy of the supply/demand equation. I was used to paying a 75 cents for a pint of beer, but then the 70's ended. ;)

Yes I understand that but it's a tad hard to take when I'm paying $480 taxes in AND including cancellation insurance for 2 adults next week for a flight from BUF to SEA. We go to Ft Lauderdale every year about the same time and I've never seen airfare prices as high as I'm seeing right now. It's a real shocker. :eek:

2P.P1

Keep in mind airfares were artificially low...either too many seats with too few passengers, or competing with startup discount carriers who had unsustainable fares and went out of business. Airlines have reduced capacity and flights (6000 fewer US domestic flights per week than a year ago) to shore up fares. Florida has been hard hit with service cuts since they have a lot of leisure travelers and airlines would rather put their assets to use on more lucrative destinations. Some airlines have dropped certain Florida cities entirely.

Unfortunately it's the "new normal", we all enjoyed it while it lasted....

You will generally not get decent airfares when you try to fly to obscure airports like McAllen. Try pricing for other larger Texas airports in the region and rent a car to get to your final destination. Also take a look at Southwest since they often will not show on certain popular internet sites.

Hank

You will generally not get decent airfares when you try to fly to obscure airports like McAllen. Try pricing for other larger Texas airports in the region and rent a car to get to your final destination. Also take a look at Southwest since they often will not show on certain popular internet sites.

Those "larger" airports aren't exactly around the corner. 240 miles one-way from San Antonio or 350 one-way from Houston. Even Corpus Christi and Laredo (neither of which fits that "larger" category) are 160 miles away from McAllen.

Take the CO ticket.

We go to Ft Lauderdale every year about the same time and I've never seen airfare prices as high as I'm seeing right now. It's a real shocker.

Maybe I shouldn't mention the mileage runs from SEA to FLL I have booked for $203 all-in.....:cool:

I have also noticed that flights are extremely high for the week in Feb that I need. We have zero flexibility on our dates and most flights BUF to FLL for 2 adults are over $1000. I realize that it's high-season but that's a far cry from what we're used to paying. :(

2P.P1

Check Allegiant Air flying out of Elmira/Corning, NY. They fly into Orlando which isn't too far from FLL for the potential savings. I realize that you would have a 2.5 hour drive from Buffalo in Feb, but it may be an option. I just priced flights under $400 roundtrip per person during the busy week in February when school is out. I just used Allegiant for our April cruise because of the great rates, although we have about a 4 hour drive to Elmira...it's worth the savings!

BIG RED FLAG on Allegiant for flights to cruises: Allegiant's business model is using many small airports to feed vacation travel to popular tourist destinations. The warnings:

1) Allegiant often has only 1 flight on a day from various locations. If there is a problem with that flight, you are stuck, as Allegiant has no interline arrangements with other airlines.

2) In addition to the reduced schedule per day, they rarely have daily flights from those small airports. Usually, it is 2-3 times per week.

3) Allegiant is VERY quick to cancel routes/cities that are not performing well for them. There have been a number of cities where Allegiant has come in, and then left - all due to poor financial performance.

Further, that drive from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale isn't as close as the poster makes it seem.

If you are REALLY set on using them, be aware that the website for the airline is www.allegiantair.com. Using just allegiant.com brings you to a general travel site.

UPDATE: From Elmira, Allegiant runs TWO flights a week - one R/T on Thursday, another R/T on Sunday. To quote Porky the Pig: "That's All, Folks!"

Unfortunately it's the "new normal", we all enjoyed it while it lasted....

You mean that we can't expect airlines to operate at a loss forever, or expect their employees sacrifice their wages and beneifits to subsidize our cheap trips? Just what are things coming to?

:)

2P.P1

A few days late on your comments but yes, I also saw some dates in Feb that have some higher than usual prices BUF to FLL (and returning). They do center around Presidents Day week but even for a school breaktime when they are traditionally up which is to be expected they are higher this year than we've ever seen. Fortunately we've booked our cruise later this year and are able to avoid those higher prices:)

Further, that drive from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale isn't as close as the poster makes it seem.

It was about 3 hours from Port Canaveral to Miami when I drove it between our back-to-back cruises (from two different ports - Port Canaveral and Miami) two weekends ago; The drive from Sanford looks to add another hour to the drive. "Close" is a relative term. Google map it and decide for yourself. I used the turnpike and traffic wasn't bad at all on a weekend morning.

UPDATE: From Elmira, Allegiant runs TWO flights a week - one R/T on Thursday, another R/T on Sunday. To quote Porky the Pig: "That's All, Folks!"

That's incorrect. They also have flights on Saturday and Tuesday that week in February. My suggestion would be to get travel insurance if you are concerned about Allegiant canceling flights.

I know that I just paid $450 total for 2 people (all taxes and fees included) for a flight from Elmira to Sanford using Allegiant Air in April. We fly in the day before the cruise, so I Hotwired a hotel (the Hyatt Place) in Lake Mary (very close to the airport) for $75 (including all taxes and fees). We will rent a car from Budget at the airport and drive down to Miami the next morning. Oh yeah, parking at the Elmira airport is only $32.50 for the week! The risk/reward ratio is personal preference...but it works for me.

Check Allegiant Air flying out of Elmira/Corning, NY. They fly into Orlando which isn't too far from FLL for the potential savings. I realize that you would have a 2.5 hour drive from Buffalo in Feb, but it may be an option. I just priced flights under $400 roundtrip per person during the busy week in February when school is out. I just used Allegiant for our April cruise because of the great rates, although we have about a 4 hour drive to Elmira...it's worth the savings!

I'd already have a 2.5 hour drive to Buffalo so driving to Elmira isn't going to happen. If I'm willing to drive over 4 hours, Detroit is a much better option. I know Florida very well and considered Orlando but with no extra time, the drive isn't worth it. But thanks for your input. :)

2P.P1

Archived