Cruise nightmare! Need help!

bobo29

Long story short, I had four cabins on the the NCL Dawn which was supposed to leave yesterday. The cruise was cancelled and we were lucky enough to rebook on RCCL Navigator of the Seas, leaving today. Lucky we thought, last night we found out that RCCL placed our four cabins into two because they accidentally overbooked. This will not work for us and after hours on the phone the only thing they would offer is to put us on the Oasis leaving tomorrow. We are not too excited by this as the cruise is a day shorter, but their stance is we are upgrading ships and giving us a balcony instead of an oceanview.

I feel like I am bent over a barrel because I have family that flew in to cruise and my daughter only gets one week off and this is the week. We are supposed to talk to someone today in higher management, but I am not too optimistic. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Does anyone know what I can do?

You are "over a barrel"--and not through ANYONE'S fault.....hopefully, you bought travel insurance that will help with any financial issues!

Go on Oasis...you'll be one of the first on her. True--one less day, but if you'd stuck with NCL, then you'd have nothing...so...

The NCL is another issue. I booked on RCCL after finding out the Dawn was cancelled. Then RCCL overbooked and put me in a cabin with my mother in law - that's romantic. Do the people here work for the cruise lines????

This is a joke, right??! You were going on the Dawn(of all ships :-( and now you're in a balcony on the largest, newest ship with all the bells & whistles and you're complaining??

Some people wouldn't know a good thing if it slapped them in the face! Go, have a wonderful time and consider yourself and family extremely fortunate!

Well, the next time someone else picks your vacation plans for you, you will understand. This is like ordering a steak for dinner and having the waiter serve you a pork chop - but be happy because you got something to eat - even though you are paying hard earned money in these economic times! Yeah, be happy everyone, people know what you want even if you don't realize it. IT IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!

I do feel bad that you have been put through so much frustration....but you are still going on a cruise!

How would you have felt if you had to scramble for hotel rooms for a week, or turn around and fly home?

Some of us would consider this an upgraded vacation, even though it is a day shorter. I haven't been on Dawn, but I have been on the sister ship, Star and have to say, you should feel lucky to have gotten away from Dawn :)

Try instead to look at the bright side of life instead of stamping your feet in frustration with what you cannot change. You got a huge upgrade in ship and cabin...be happy.

Sometimes having to reschedule things at the last minute doesn't always go as well as we would like. I'm guessing that the alternative cruise line picked up a bunch of passengers like you, who were bumped off the Dawn..

and they overbooked. Stuff happens.

Seems like you could cancel altogether and hope your cruise insurance will cover most of your costs, or go on the other ship -- yes, a day less, but still a cruise. At least you have alternatives -- it could have happened that there were no other ships to move to.

But there are just so many cabins on a ship -- once they're filled, they're filled. I'm sorry this is working out so badly.

While you may feel put out and bothered that RCL made a mistake with the new booking for the Navigator - they are offering the Oasis instead to make up for their error and I am assuming at the price for the Navigator booking???? If so that should be a tremendous price savings, I would jump all over that opportunity. But I suppose that is just me.

Okay, this is not my point. Once again the little guy - the consumer - is abused. I don't exactly want to go on the Oasis, but if I have to what should I ask for?
Your choice is to a) Tell RCCL that you will not accept the booking as two cabins and ask for a refund unless they give you the four OV cabins on the Navigator or b) take the upgrade to the Oasis.

Most people here would jump at the upgrade, it would cost you a lot more to buy the balcony cabins they are upgrading you to. Taking the first choice means you may not cruise if they cannot find you two more cabins on the Navigator. Being as you might be one of the last bookings made, you probably are very low on the priority list, but if you are sure you don't want the Oasis, tell them that.

Okay, this is not my point. Once again the little guy - the consumer - is abused. I don't exactly want to go on the Oasis, but if I have to what should I ask for?

Abused? They offered you an upgraded stateroom on a brand new ship! Most would say they have blessed you, not abused you.

So you had four cabins on Dawn, and got those turned into two cabins on Navigator, and now to make up, RCCL is offering four balconies on Oasis, but with one day shorter...correct?

If you have not paid extra for any of these changes, then I think the Oasis is a great deal. Even if only two balconies...still pretty cool.

But makes no difference - you say you have family committed..so go! Tomorrow is not a sure bet for any of us.

Odd post, I half suspect - but could resist replying. Like looking at a car crash or something.

So provide a few more details, if you care too.

What did the documentation for the original booking with RCCL say? Did it have the cabin numbers for 4 different cabins? Did all paperwork look good for the Navigator? If you never got paperwork in hand, then you are partially at fault.

How did you find out there was a problem on the Navigator?

I think that is important because if the original booking on the Navigator was all right with 4 cabin numbers then I think you may have a case to ask for some OBC to make up for the extra day.

But if somehow the original paperwork showed 2 cabins and you did not catch in time, then I think their offer sounds very fare.

It really depends on how the mistake happened.

Hope it all ends well.

OP - I'd be upset too! It never fails to amaze me how many people defend their cruiseline of choice, even when that cruiseline give you a bum deal. If you book and pay for 4 cabins on a ship, you should get 4 cabins on THAT ship, not another ship of the cruiseline's choosing. :rolleyes: Frankly, I don't want to be on one of the first sailings of Oasis when most of the staff is still getting familiar with the ship.

"Technically" Oasis would be considered an upgrade since it is a more expensive cruise, but I'd rather be on the ship an extra day. They haven't even addressed the hotel money that you are out by having to pay for a night in Florida that you haven't planned. RC should give you something to cover that.

To the OP,

It is a shame that your original cruise was cancelled. But things happen. At that point your situation was this, you now had I presume air to Florida, and no cruise to take you also had a complete refund coming from NCL PLUS 50% off your next cruise with them.

You don't say if you had travel insurance, If not I bet you will next time, anyway, so you could just not go.

But you opted to not take that option.

So you contacted RC and booked SOMETHING, Do to the general mess and confusion the DAWN incident caused, your booking got messed up with RC.

At this point your options were tell them to give you your money back because THEY screwed up the reservation.

Or take the rather generous offer on the Oasis. I would NOT by the way go on that horrible ship. New or not, I think it is an abomination. but that is my opionion. Many people are champing at the bit to take it.

The thing is you are not an abused consumer, you are unfortunately a consumer caught up in a change in plans that is no ones fault. In these situations best laid plans go astray.

Either go on the Oasis and make the best of it, try to have a good time or cancel the whole thing and start over, or just book rooms in FL and do some stuff there.

What ever you choose I hope it works out for you.

Long story short, I had four cabins on the the NCL Dawn which was supposed to leave yesterday. The cruise was cancelled and we were lucky enough to rebook on RCCL Navigator of the Seas, leaving today. Lucky we thought, last night we found out that RCCL placed our four cabins into two because they accidentally overbooked. This will not work for us and after hours on the phone the only thing they would offer is to put us on the Oasis leaving tomorrow. We are not too excited by this as the cruise is a day shorter, but their stance is we are upgrading ships and giving us a balcony instead of an oceanview.

I feel like I am bent over a barrel because I have family that flew in to cruise and my daughter only gets one week off and this is the week. We are supposed to talk to someone today in higher management, but I am not too optimistic. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Does anyone know what I can do?

You've been given your options. If none of them are satisfactory, cancel and get your money back.

Or, pick one of the options.

"Higher" management isn't going to be able to offer what's not there....

Sorry, OP, I'm not seeing this as a nightmare? Sure, sucks that the cruise you were going to take got cancelled, but then you had another option, then swapped to a third.

had there been no Plan B, this would suck major rocks for you, but, there's a cruise with upgrades built in. Why would you second guess that success???

Hop onboard before they change their minds!

If they agree to cover the cost of a hotel accommodation for one extra night that you have to stay in the port of call, then it's one of the best deals I've ever heard of!:)

Archived