Live From the Dream 4/17/10!

The Klev

The hardest part of beginning an article for me is the first sentence. How do you capture the reader, provide them with enough incentive to continue reading your piece until the very end? How did Melville create such a masterpiece by providing us with “Call me Ishmael?” Or Camus’ “Mother died today, or yesterday…I don’t remember?” Well, I’m going to give you…

“Live From the Carnival Dream!”

I hope this will suffice for what I’ve got to say.

The trip started relatively uneventfully. Lots of dollars spent at uFood and Asian Wok as we had a 5:20 flight to Miami. We used miles so the layover to go from Boston to Orlando was Miami. All seemed pretty good until our pilot said we had an arrival hold due to “VIP Departure.” This meant we had to slow down and begin to circle. What is “VIP departure,” you ask? President Obama was leaving Miami, so all of MIA, and all planes arriving had to cease doing what they were doing so he could leave safely. Amazing how the leader of the free world can stop one of the world’s busiest airports dead in its tracks.

Sunset while we circled:

P1010006.jpg

Once we arrive in Miami, the silence from our gate agent was deafening. Thanks to my handy FlightAware app on my iPhone, I realized our flight to Orlando, originally scheduled to depart at 10:35 P.M., was an hour late. Realizing it was too late to retrieve our luggage to rent a car, we waited and finally departed at 11:40.

We got to Orlando, rented our minivan from Thrifty, and took off for the Radisson, where many of our fellow Cruise Critic neighbors were staying. Arriving at 2:00 A.M., we were greeted by a fellow cruiser, who was creaming at the poor registration agent that she could not take the 1:00 P.M. shuttle, and she had to be on a shuttle no later than noon. After 15 minutes, her husband hurried her off, much to my delight. (Port Canaveral cruise tip number 1 – if your hotel has shuttle service to the port, book early)

Realizing my oldest two kids and I could not sleep due to this recent entertainment, we took off for Ron Jon Surf Shop on Cocoa Beach, located five minutes from the hotel and open 24/7. This trip was a huge success, both for us and for Ron Jon, as we dropped plenty of shekels on surf wear our kids will wear for one season. (Port Canaveral Cruise Tip number 2 – if you plan on going to Ron Jon, go off-hours as you may have to park close to ¼ mile away and wait on insufferable lines if you go during peak hours.) At 3:15 A.M., we headed out, had breakfast at Dunkin Donuts at 3:20, and went to our room and crashed.

A successful evening/morning at Ron Jon!

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

“Live From the Carnival Dream!”

Early Klev,

Works for me. 'In keeping with Melvile, 'call me The Klev' would have been a catchy way to begin. :)

One question though, did you swim out to meet her or are you boarding tomorrow and just wanna get an early start? :D

Once on board and posting, I recommend that you type your thoughts and recollections on Notepad or Wordpad, then sign on to the internet to post and be sure and copy each post before hitting submit or you'll loose it to cyberspace. The internet on board times out rather quickly if you are busy typing replies.

Most of all I wish you a great crusie! We were on the April 3 Dream sailing and had a great time. She's a fine ship with a tad too many people, but if you are patient you can avoid the lines.

The best advice I can offer for sailing Dream is on sea days not to bother bringing your own Carnival towel from your cabin; your fellow cruisers will have the chairs stocked with towels so all you have to do is show up and enjoy the sun. :eek: ;) When you leave, be sure and drop the used towel off to the towel collection area on Lido.

The Radisson is a nice hotel. If I were to give it a star rating, I’d give it a solid 3, leaning towards 4 based on location to the port and attractions, as well as customer service.

I awoke to teach’s 9:30 text asking if I was awake. I actually wasn’t, but it was a nice alarm to wake up to. Of course, my kids lept to their feet, jumped into their new unaffordable swimwear and, in all my glory of no sleep, no shower and no consciousness, I went downstairs to drop off the kids at the pool.

P1010017.jpg

Teach and Erin:

P1010015.jpg

My son Marcus:

P1010016.jpg

Some notes about the Radisson – it’s a great hotel with more than comfortable accommodations. The pool area is more than sufficient, with an arcade, small fitness center, and apparently tennis courts which aren’t very accessible to the hotel guests as it is frequently in use. If you’d like to get a view of the port, request a room on the 3rd floor facing the port, and you will see either the top or rear of the ship depending on your building. We are on the 3rd floor of building 2 and have a limited view. There is, however, a sandcastle building contest going on here and, for the fee of $8 per person, I can see a bigger and better version of what I do with my kids, but certainly don’t get the same pleasure.

Sandcastles from our room!

P1010011.jpg

So I went down to the pool, played with my Olympus 1050 SW waterproof camera, dropped more $$$ on the video games, and hung with the family teach. (Radisson Tip number 1 – the lunch fare is edible and affordable. Burgers, sandwiches and quesadillas in the $7 range, with some specials, such as conch fritters, thrown in for good measure.)

Soon thereafter, we were greeted by the family of Rosemary and Bill from Rochester, and then by sailchamp (Julia and Jim) with kids in tow. The adults and kids have bonded, and I’m comforted by the fact that, should all remain status quo, my children will have enjoyed this cruise.

Bill and Jim greeting me with adoration:

P1010021.jpg

We have since met #1cruiseprincess and w8tingtocruz (I know I got that wrong) and their significant others, sames and friends, and hope to report more as our little meet and greet here continues.

Our plan is to drop off the family Klev at the port around 10:00 or so, drop off the car at Thrifty, and then grab a shuttle back to wait in line to embark.

Based upon what I saw down A1A, the closest rental agent to the port is Budget, then Enterprise, then Thrifty, all being within a mile or two of the port.

If you have any questions about the Radisson, please let me know and I will try to provide an answer before I leave tomorrow.

I live in the area and keep seeing that sand castle event being advertised... now that I see it it doesn't look like much... is what's in your pic pretty much it or is there other stuff off to the left/right?

Also I've been archiving images from the webcam and can tell you the chairhogs start to show up on deck at around 5:30am. :-)

Some quick updates from the meet and greet.

Here's Joe (little sailchamp) and Daniel (little teach) going to play tennis

P1010004.jpg

And Colin (k2excursion), Sharon (luv2travelnow and Mitch)

P1010003.jpg

The Wisconsin gang!

P1010001.jpg

Mrs. Klev (bryna) and the Hostess with the Mostest!

P1010002.jpg

Seems as if beers at the bar are limited to domestic choices (Bud, Miller, Coors) We are seeing lots of different varieties being brought in by the guests, along with cases of bottled water for the cruise.

Will keep you informed.

1. We are doing the Western. Did a similar itinerary last year and loved it!

2. I am actually keeping it on Word and saving it as I'm going to read the full vesrion when I get back to creat an album/book.

3. Thank you

4. Thank you

5. I will as we plan on doing serious karaoke. We were rehearsing poolside much to the chagrin of our chaise neighbors.

Can you tell me if you noticed if there were any stores near the Raddison where one could purchase some wine? A CVS or a Walgreens would do. Thanks and have a great cruise. We don't sail until August, but I'll be following your review.

Can you please find out if there is a charge for the sauna and steamfoom?

Also, Can you take pics of the serenity area, and the Lanai!!

And Pics of Room 9359? Just Joking!!, But It would be nice if you can!!:p

I Hope You And, Your Loved Ones Have The Best Cruise Ever!!!!:D

At some point this week, could you pop into the ship's "general store" <for lack of a better phrase> and see if they have a lotion called Sea Safe? I have read on CC lately about sea lice in the waters of Roatan and Mexico and want to buy some of this Repellent lotion but they do not sell it here in the northeast. I will be looking for it when we get to Fla. in 2 weeks, but I'm hoping that as a "last ditch effort" I may be able to buy it on the ship.

Thanks In Advance! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!!!!!;):D

thanks so much for your review. I always appreciate reviews with details and lots of pictures and yours looks like it will be wonderful.

If you have a moment could you post the new "Fun Times" (Carnival Capers) - thanks

Can you tell me if you noticed if there were any stores near the Raddison where one could purchase some wine? A CVS or a Walgreens would do. Thanks and have a great cruise. We don't sail until August, but I'll be following your review.

Plenty. There is a Publix, a Walmart and 3 package stores within 2 miles south of the Radisson on A1A. No worries.

Archived