Tender in Maui

wilfros

This coming week we are going to book Golden Princess to Hawaii (Feb 2012) and have a question about tendering in Maui.

Who does the "tendering"? Is it the lifeboats owned and operated by Princess or a private company hired by Princess?

One other thing... I have been looking at Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii on Google Earth. Can anyone tell me exactly where the tender drops us off and picks us up?

Thanks

This coming week we are going to book Golden Princess to Hawaii (Feb 2012) and have a question about tendering in Maui.

Who does the "tendering"? Is it the lifeboats owned and operated by Princess or a private company hired by Princess?

One other thing... I have been looking at Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii on Google Earth. Can anyone tell me exactly where the tender drops us off and picks us up?

Thanks

Princess uses their own tenders which drop you off at Banyan Street Park, right near the huge banyan tree.

Princess uses their own tenders which drop you off at Banyan Street Park, right near the huge banyan tree.

Thanks Pam, somehow I knew you would have this information.

I appreciate it and have already found it on Google Earth, complete with the "big" tree. Also glad to hear Princess is responsible for their guests all the way to shore.

Wilfros: you will love this cruise. We sailed 2/26/11-3/12/11 on the Sapphire Princess. Maui was our favorite port. As Pam said, the tender drops you off at Banyan Street Park on Front Street. We booked a morning whale watching excursion through the ship, then spent the afternoon checking out the shops and restaurants on Front Street.

Absolutely loved the four sea days to and from Hawaii!

So, here is a bit of history of our last cruise. We sailed with one of the smaller Holland America lines ships.............and our last port was to be in Lahaina.........with the Oosterdam.

Princess had not experienced being in the tender port of Lahaina with another ship......and many things were said.......of how the tendering might be very slow.

To witness, it was not! Everyone that wanted to get off, got off, within one tender............just at the start.

5 years ago...........a ship caught a bit of rock, and sunk just outside the Lahaina harbor. Now, the Coast Guard wants control.....of tenders going in and out.

So, with two ships in port.......it might be a 5 to 10 minute wait, just outside of the breakwater.........but it's really nothing.

Don't change venues........because of the delay of having two ships in Lahaina Harbor at the same time.

Rick

Wilfros: you will love this cruise. We sailed 2/26/11-3/12/11 on the Sapphire Princess. Maui was our favorite port. As Pam said, the tender drops you off at Banyan Street Park on Front Street. We booked a morning whale watching excursion through the ship, then spent the afternoon checking out the shops and restaurants on Front Street.

Absolutely loved the four sea days to and from Hawaii!

My favorite itinerary so far (we've done it twice' date=' on the Island and the Golden).[/quote']

Don't change venues........because of the delay of having two ships in Lahaina Harbor at the same time.

Rick

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information.

We plan on taking our time getting off the ship (Golden Princess) then (I guess) taking a cab or something up the coast to Whalers Village. If I understand correctly The Westin Maui Resort & Spa is right beside the village so there should be lots of amenities for us to spend some quality beach time and shopping all in one.

Rick: I am not quite sure what you mean in your last statement but we will not be cancelling or changing anything because of the tendering. I was just curious as to where it would place us once on land. We took a quick little cruise this past Feb on Carnival Pride and while on the Carnival Boards there were some discussions about some sort of tender experience and it sounded, to me, as thought there was a company Carnival hired to tender their guests and just wanted to know if Princess did the same.

We were supposed to go on this exact cruise this last May but had to cancel (travelling companions had to take a time out to fight cancer) so now the trip is even more important to all of us.

Again... Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information.

We plan on taking our time getting off the ship (Golden Princess) then (I guess) taking a cab or something up the coast to Whalers Village. If I understand correctly The Westin Maui Resort & Spa is right beside the village so there should be lots of amenities for us to spend some quality beach time and shopping all in one.

Rick: I am not quite sure what you mean in your last statement but we will not be cancelling or changing anything because of the tendering. I was just curious as to where it would place us once on land. We took a quick little cruise this past Feb on Carnival Pride and while on the Carnival Boards there were some discussions about some sort of tender experience and it sounded, to me, as thought there was a company Carnival hired to tender their guests and just wanted to know if Princess did the same.

We were supposed to go on this exact cruise this last May but had to cancel (travelling companions had to take a time out to fight cancer) so now the trip is even more important to all of us.

Again... Thanks for all the responses.

There is a breakwater at Lahaina Harbor. The ships tenders (not one's that are hired out) will drop you off at that point, which is right in front of the Pioneer Inn, and across the street from the worlds largest Banyon Tree, and the County Courthouse. Walk one block mauka (towards the mountains) and you will find yourself on Front Street, which is loaded with restaurants and shops.

One could spend a whole day discovering Lahaina.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!:)

Rick

We were on Sapphire to Hawaii in March. The coolest thing was that our whale watching boat pulled right up to the ship for us to board. They dropped us off in Lahania after seeing a lot of whales. Saved us a tender trip.

If you want to save a little money, across from the Banyan Tree is the Wharf Cinema Center and around the back you can catch a bus that will take you to Whaler's Village, right in the center of Kaanapali Beach. It is $1 and here is a link to the schedule - the route you need is the Kaanapali Islander: http://www.mauicounty.gov/documents/Transportation/bus_routes_020711.PDF

Next door to Whaler's Village is the Westin, and there is also an activity center there if you want to rent chairs, etc. You can also walk up the beach to the Sheraton at Black Rock where you can snorkel off the beach. All along that stretch there are places to rent whatever you need for a great beach experience.

If you want to save a little money, across from the Banyan Tree is the Wharf Cinema Center and around the back you can catch a bus that will take you to Whaler's Village, right in the center of Kaanapali Beach. It is $1 and here is a link to the schedule - the route you need is the Kaanapali Islander: http://www.mauicounty.gov/documents/Transportation/bus_routes_020711.PDF

Next door to Whaler's Village is the Westin, and there is also an activity center there if you want to rent chairs, etc. You can also walk up the beach to the Sheraton at Black Rock where you can snorkel off the beach. All along that stretch there are places to rent whatever you need for a great beach experience.

WOW!!! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks so much.

Yes, thank you! Planning our 3rd princess rt hawaii and have never known this info! What a great suggestion!!!

The $1 bus is the BEST! We've used it to go to Ka'anapali everytime we've cruised to Hawaii. Snorkeling at the Sheraton Black Rock is where my fascination with snorkeling/diving began. But it's best for strong swimmers.

Tendering to Maui was easy...... but the lines for getting back to the ship were horrendous.

Sandy in Spain

Lahaina is one place where we strive to be on the last tender back to the ship. By the end of the day, there is a huge number of passengers at the Pioneer Inn's outdoor tables enjoying one last cold one. The ship's security officer typically keeps us all informed as that long line dwindles down, telling us when we need to be finishing up and paying our bar tabs. Then, the group of us walks across the street and boards the tender with no wait at all. Much more pleasant than waiting in line for upwards of an hour! (And, before the Princess "police" feel impelled to comment- no, we're not delaying the last tender. We're just avoiding the line).

I think it's ao cool that all of you love this itin. as much as we do. :)

We're booked for our third time. This time we're going with DS (his 2nd time), and DIL (her 1st). They will have their 7th wedding anniversary during the cruise.

Pat

I think it's ao cool that all of you love this itin. as much as we do. :)

We're booked for our third time. This time we're going with DS (his 2nd time), and DIL (her 1st). They will have their 7th wedding anniversary during the cruise.

Pat

What's not to love??? 8 days at sea on a GREAT SHIP and a vacation in Hawaii!

Life can't get much better than this!

We took this bus up to Cannery Mall (my daughter decided she wanted to check out the little dojo that's a short walk from there). It just took finding the right person to ask for directions to the bus stop (we first went to the courthouse, but that person's directions were too vague...a little info table on Front Street, I think, gave us better directions). You have to go in back of the Cinema Mall to the little street there.

Shawilson beat me to it LOL as I was going to say, my favorite part of the Maui stop was being picked up at the ship for our whale watch.

The Whale watch boat pulled right up to the ship and we boarded it...took off and saw whales within 5 minutes. It was a great day. Lots of whale spotting that day. We had the FIRST (earliest) time for the whale watch.

The later times, you are not picked up at the ship.

When it was over, the boat took us to Banyan Tree area -which we LOVE!

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU!! EXACTLY what I was looking for. Appreciate it!

This cruise on the Golden has been my favorite one!

We did the first Whale Watch time slot, and the whale watching boat picked us up at the ship. Just a step over onto the boat. Easy and safe. Saw lots of whales within minutes of leaving the ship.

They took us back to Lahaina and we spent the day exploring the courthouse, the banyan tree, all the little shops and sat and ate lunch while watching the tours coming in and out.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all!

Can anyone tell me how long it is for the tender from the ship to Lahaina? I am trying to plan our day and want to make sure I leave enough time to get off the ship and into town.

thanks!

:D

I haven't done it yet (we will next March), but we take many land vacations in Maui and the town is only a few hundrend yards from where the ship moors.(anchors?) I would think it wouldn't take too long.

Don't worry, someone who has done this will answer shortly!

Archived