Dress code in Blu

louise44

Prior to our Oct. 31 Equinox cruise, I read a post on CC indicating that the dress code in Blu had recently changed; formal dress was no longer required on formal nights...smart casual was now the dress code in Blu for ALL nights of the cruise. Before we left, I called Celebrity and they confirmed this change. Of course, when we went to Blu the first formal night, they had never heard of this change and told us formal attire was still required.

When we got back, I called Celebrity about this,and their Guest Relations said no such change to dress code has occurred. Can anyone clarify where this information originally came from? Others must be confused too.

If anyone has information about this, many thanks!!

Prior to our Oct. 31 Equinox cruise, I read a post on CC indicating that the dress code in Blu had recently changed; formal dress was no longer required on formal nights...smart casual was now the dress code in Blu for ALL nights of the cruise. Before we left, I called Celebrity and they confirmed this change. Of course, when we went to Blu the first formal night, they had never heard of this change and told us formal attire was still required.

When we got back, I called Celebrity about this,and their Guest Relations said no such change to dress code has occurred. Can anyone clarify where this information originally came from? Others must be confused too.

The change was about three weeks ago, perhaps they didn't get the message on board yet which would not surprise me. The change in policy is located in the UK web site and it is also on the Celebrity Caribbean e-booklet, I believe page 49...Here's the one from the UK site. Additionally, our host Andy contacted Celebrity and had it confirmed by them. I thoroughly trust Andy.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/before-your-cruise/speciality-dining.aspx

Were you permitted to dine? Did you change into more formal attire?

Maris

Hopefully this link will work for you page 95 caribbean ebrochure. Middle bottom of page. Hope this clears it up.

http://viewer.zmags.com/services/DownloadPDF

MSTS

As I noted in a different thread, in addition to msts's reference, it also clearly states on my e-Docs (and I assume everyone else's) for my December cruise that the Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual and Above at all times, and also clearly notes that this includes Blu for AQ guests. I got my e-docs about two weeks ago.

As I noted in a different thread, in addition to msts's reference, it also clearly states on my e-Docs (and I assume everyone else's) for my December cruise that the Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual and Above at all times, and also clearly notes that this includes Blu for AQ guests. I got my e-docs about two weeks ago.

Thanks for the additional info will check our e doc's we just received earlier this week.

Mike

It's probably going to take a good three months before this trickles down to all the ships, remember when the specialty restaurants changed dress codes it took a good while for it to be enacted on all the ships.

But they can't expect pax, who have read either their e-docs or marketing brochures (especially if they aren't on CC and/or are not frequent X cruisers), to pack formal-wear if they read that they don't have to, just because the crew "may not have gotten the message yet".

But they can't expect pax, who have read either their e-docs or marketing brochures (especially if they aren't on CC and/or are not frequent X cruisers), to pack formal-wear if they read that they don't have to, just because the crew "may not have gotten the message yet".

I'm not saying you should, (we sure wouldn't) just saying be prepared for the message to have not yet trickled down.

Thanks to all for this clarification -- smart casual it is. But (and I ask this in a very small, meek voice) what specifically are the "e-docs" to which some of you refer? And should I already have received them from Celebrity for a Nov. 28th cruise date? Help me out, I'm new at this!

Hi, you should have received an email stating that your edocs are ready for printing. If you did your own reservation, then go to the X website, go to manage my reservation, complete your on line check in, & that should trigger your edocs, if you used a TA, then I don't know what you do, contact them, I guess.

Thanks to all for this clarification -- smart casual it is. But (and I ask this in a very small, meek voice) what specifically are the "e-docs" to which some of you refer? And should I already have received them from Celebrity for a Nov. 28th cruise date? Help me out, I'm new at this!

The edocs is a multi page information booklet (roughly 20 to 25 pages) for your cruise. It is specific for you and your cruise and the official title is "Guest Ticket Booklet". They used to send a nice spiral bound hard copy of this but stopped doing that a couple years back (although you can still get this for a fee). Years ago it contained a true cruise ticket and forms to be filled out. In recent years it has become more of an information only document as people fill out the forms on the internet ahead of time as part of their on-line check-in process.

You should have done the on-line check in on Celebrity's website by now. At the end of that process there is a screen which allows you to print an "xpress pass" which is very useful at the port. If you did this well in advance of your cruise then about 4 or 5 weeks before there will be a link on the page where you would go to print your express pass that allows you to view and/or print your edocs. If you book closer than the 4 to 5 weeks before the cruise then the link usually appears hours or days after you do the on-line check in and sometimes before. You should receive an email notifying you that your documents are ready to print out along with a link to the pate. Some travel agents do this themselves and mail the printed documents to their clients and some might even order them the old fashioned hard copy cruise documents.

I hope this helps!

What did you wear that night? Were you turned away? We don't too terribly formal anymore on formal nights, but our smart casual is pretty dressy. Black slacks and nice jackets or sweater sets. I wear dressy black pants with dressy jackets/jewelry for formal.

I emailed Celebrity a few weeks back when this subject first came up.

Got this reply last Friday:

Dear Ms. XXX:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

The information from the UK website is correct. There is no formal attire dress code for Blu.

Ms. XXX, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

We were on Infinity the last two weeks and dined in the SS United States on two of the three formal nights. Most men dining there wore suits or tuxes and the women were in dresses and evening gowns. But there were also a number of people in smart casual attire. So at least the staff on Infinity got the message about the dress code or else they chose not to press the issue.

I will also add that there were many more men in tuxedos than I expected to see based on the discussions I read on this website. I estimate that 25% to 30% were dressed as such and their "dates" were in evening gowns. Really a nicely dressed crowd on those nights.

We were on Infinity the last two weeks and dined in the SS United States on two of the three formal nights. Most men dining there wore suits or tuxes and the women were in dresses and evening gowns. But there were also a number of people in smart casual attire. So at least the staff on Infinity got the message about the dress code or else they chose not to press the issue.

I will also add that there were many more men in tuxedos than I expected to see based on the discussions I read on this website. I estimate that 25% to 30% were dressed as such and their "dates" were in evening gowns. Really a nicely dressed crowd on those nights.

I would hope the staff in SS United States got the message since "smart Casual" in Specialty restaurants has been in effect for a couple of years. This thread is about the new change to Blu.

Frank, I think that people wear what they want to wear. There are many people who choose Celebrity because they like to dress up on formal nights. I started bringing my children on cruises when they were 5 & 8, and had them dress in suits for formal night, and long dockers for other nights, with collared shirts, no t-shirts. This taught them when it was right to dress properly in their lives, and they still do. They are now 23 & 26, and when I tell them that they don't have to wear a suit to a certain event, they still want to. I just told them that they can wear "party attire" to something this coming weekend, and they told me that to them "party attire" was a suit. Keep in mind that when you read these threads, you are getting the opinion of a very small percentage of cruisers on board at any one particular time.

Frank, I think that people wear what they want to wear. There are many people who choose Celebrity because they like to dress up on formal nights. I started bringing my children on cruises when they were 5 & 8, and had them dress in suits for formal night, and long dockers for other nights, with collared shirts, no t-shirts. This taught them when it was right to dress properly in their lives, and they still do. They are now 23 & 26, and when I tell them that they don't have to wear a suit to a certain event, they still want to. I just told them that they can wear "party attire" to something this coming weekend, and they told me that to them "party attire" was a suit. Keep in mind that when you read these threads, you are getting the opinion of a very small percentage of cruisers on board at any one particular time.

I'm sorry, what opinion? there are no opinions. The dress code has changed. Celebrity changed it yet didn't effectively get that message to the ships. This is not a thread about appropriate dress.

This is true Cruise Junky, but I was just responding to Frank's line about the number of people wearing tuxedos, and how he was surprised after reading the boards. More interesting than reading exactly which page of an e-folder the information is in, as we established the answer to that regardless of page number.

This is true Cruise Junky, but I was just responding to Frank's line about the number of people wearing tuxedos, and how he was surprised after reading the boards. More interesting than reading exactly which page of an e-folder the information is in, as we established the answer to that regardless of page number.

Keep in mind though, I think Frank was on a Panama cruise which is a lot longer than the normal 7 day crowd so the demographic and dress code would have been quite different.

Archived