Queen Victoria January 19-30 review

Jim Avery

Have printed the boarding passes and the Cunard e-tickets and are packed so, it must be time. I will post on board as the mood strikes but productivity can sometimes be low when on board.:eek: Since it seems we get 8 hours free internet, I suppose I have no excuses for not posting.:D This cruise marks several "firsts" for us. It is our first Cunard cruse since the mostly disorganized mess of the QM2 Maiden Voyage. Our first balcony cabin ever. Yep, 45 cruises and no balcony cabin ever. Our first visit to a couple of the islands and first time for the Panama Canal. In all the years I worked at sea, never even got close. Usually worked in such fun places as the North Atlantic or Bering Sea.:eek: And, first time on Queen Victoria. All our cruises since QM2 in January 2004 have been on SeaDream or Seabourn so QV will seem rather large to us. I will really try to refrain from any comparison type chatter as they are the typical apples/oranges comparison. Both nice, just different. We like the overall good reviews lately from QV and are looking forward to sea days and dress up too. Our practice is to travel in carryons only and we have managed to pack that way. I heartily believe in the 2 types of baggage theory: Carry on and Lost.:D Another plus on this trip is roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale. As Florida residents, that really appeals even though we are flying from our little corner here in the Florida Panhandle. 2 free tickets on Southwest beats 8 hours driving each way. I am looking forward to meeting approximately 10 Cruise Critic couples listed on the roll call on Friday morning at 11:30 in the Commodore Club. I invite all others on board to chime in here with their likes and dislikes during this cruise. We are really looking forward to being on Queen Victoria.:D

Have printed the boarding passes and the Cunard e-tickets and are packed so, it must be time. I will post on board as the mood strikes but productivity can sometimes be low when on board.:eek: Since it seems we get 8 hours free internet, I suppose I have no excuses for not posting.:D This cruise marks several "firsts" for us. It is our first Cunard cruse since the mostly disorganized mess of the QM2 Maiden Voyage. Our first balcony cabin ever. Yep, 45 cruises and no balcony cabin ever. Our first visit to a couple of the islands and first time for the Panama Canal. In all the years I worked at sea, never even got close. Usually worked in such fun places as the North Atlantic or Bering Sea.:eek: And, first time on Queen Victoria. All our cruises since QM2 in January 2004 have been on SeaDream or Seabourn so QV will seem rather large to us. I will really try to refrain from any comparison type chatter as they are the typical apples/oranges comparison. Both nice, just different. We like the overall good reviews lately from QV and are looking forward to sea days and dress up too. Our practice is to travel in carryons only and we have managed to pack that way. I heartily believe in the 2 types of baggage theory: Carry on and Lost.:D Another plus on this trip is roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale. As Florida residents, that really appeals even though we are flying from our little corner here in the Florida Panhandle. 2 free tickets on Southwest beats 8 hours driving each way. I am looking forward to meeting approximately 10 Cruise Critic couples listed on the roll call on Friday morning at 11:30 in the Commodore Club. I invite all others on board to chime in here with their likes and dislikes during this cruise. We are really looking forward to being on Queen Victoria.:D

Jim,

have a fantastic cruise. I'll bet you love QE and the balcony. Looking forward to hearing from you while you're on board but I know exactly what you mean about productivity :D

Jim

QE. QV. I never could tell one from the other. Hee hee.

:D:D:D

J

I think one of them has an even uglier hind end (can you really call that a stern?):eek: I am looking forward to viewing QV in person. Maybe she just does not photograph well.:D

Bon voyage Jim and Lois!!

Looking forward to reading about your sailing as DJ's DH and I have cruising the Panama Canal on our Leap List (which sounds better than a Bucket List).:eek:

Will be interested in hearing about how much you use the balcony and of course all about the toonies and food!

Thanks, DJ. We really need to end up on the same ship soon.:eek::D All the best,

Jim & Lois

In deed we do:D

Perhaps you will be able to decide after this cruise if we should gather on SD or a Cunard ship:cool: I suspect Lois has done her Chico's run?

Chico's?? Oh yeah! Had a Christmas gift card and hit the half price sale.:eek: I have to admit, the stuff looks great and packs to nothing. You two have a lot in common.:eek:

Where is that "Like" button:confused:

Is Lois taking formal wear as well? If so what?

Just a carry-on. Lois could you please tell me how to pack like that. I am very interested to know what you are taking on a Cunard cruise that you are able to fit it into a 20 lb. carry-on. I usually do not have room for everything in a 50 lb. checked bag. Please give advice on how to pack.

Have a great cruise. Will look for your daily posts.

Embarking on my first cruise with Jean and accompanied by two friends in next door stateroom (Balcony).

Intersted in any advice re saving money, tips, alcohol, etc

We're on V204 Ft Lauderdale - LA on Feb 29th

Are there any other CruiseCritics on this trip?

John

Embarking on my first cruise with Jean and accompanied by two friends in next door stateroom (Balcony).

Intersted in any advice re saving money, tips, alcohol, etc

We're on V204 Ft Lauderdale - LA on Feb 29th

Are there any other CruiseCritics on this trip?

John

John, are you certain you have the date right? As far as I can tell, V204 departs Fort Lauderdale on 30 January. If that's the one you are on there is a roll call thread for it that you might consider joining. You'll find it here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411947

J

We just got thrown off QV. Aside from a strange funnel rattle she is in good shape. We just wish we could have stayed on. I will miss Ryan and the Milky Way Martinis he has been bringing me in the Commodore Club! I couldn't locate the Cruise Critic book in the library. Maybe you will have better luck. Bon Voyage!

Safely on board. Safety drill is imminent. Will be on wifi tomorrow. Cheers, J&L

Glad to hear you are on board and attending the safety drill!

Looking to vicariously sailing with you:p

Please have a martini for me ... blue cheese stuffed olives of course!

Jim,

I am looking forward to your reports. And I will be watching your departure this evening on the Port Everglades webcam.

For those that may not be aware, Port Everglades has a very good webcam that can be found here:

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

The QV's scheduled departure time this evening is 9:30pm, about three hours from now.

Regards,

John.

Bon Voyage, Jim!

Just watched your sailaway on the webcam.

Ship looked so beautiful with all the lights.

(well, except two of the letters on "queen victoria" were out)

Looking foward to traveling with you.

I noticed the missing letters and wondered how difficult the bulbs were to replace. About how high are those letters?

Thanks for all the good wishes. Seas are calm, sun is out, it's a great day at sea. Flight in on Southwest was as good as it gets these days. Glad we did not check a bag-bag claim was chaos! We just caught a cab and was at the ship (with a short stop at a spirits emporium:D) in about 15 minutes. Now here is a pleasant shocker. From leaving the cab to picture at the gangway, to our cabin (7013) took15 minutes or less!! Wow, had a "Preferred" line.:eek: now, let me back up a bit. On approach, we flew over the port. I know Port Everglades well and could not spot QV! Then I realized, the block of flats near the 17th st bridge had a red funnel. Whoever said it first here was right, "a block of flats on a barge". Reminds me of what they say in Florida about the ugly pontoon boats with "rent me" signs on the sides, at least when you are on board. You don't have to look at it. OK, enough said. The interior is beautiful. Nicely laid out and scaled better than QM2. In fact, it feels a bit like QE2 after the Theatre Bar became the Golden Lion pub. More later.

J

Archived