Rental Car Returns at Ft. Lauderdale Cruise Port

akaBishop

Hello Everyone, my wife and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale a day early for our cruise. We were thinking about renting a car at FLL and then using it to drive around and shop/eat the day we were there, but were wondering if any car rental companies have returns at the cruise port or just outside for people departing? Or a free shuttle to the port after car return? Has anyone done this? I would think it would be cheaper and more convenient for a one day rental (~$30), than paying for 3-4 taxi rides ($15 a trip). Thanks!

As far as cheaper, it all depends on what you want to do in Ft. L and where you are staying. The city is very walkable, has a trolley and also the water taxi service. If you are staying in the downtown/beach area, I personally wouldn't bother with a car.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites..taxi..from FLL to hotel...then Thrifty came to the hotel to take one of us back to their office ..they have an office just outside Port Everglades terminal gate..we easily dropped the rental car off and they took all 6 of us and luggage (12 pieces :eek:..I know we're over packers) right to the ship's luggage drop off..very easy to do.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites..taxi..from FLL to hotel...then Thrifty came to the hotel to take one of us back to their office ..they have an office just outside Port Everglades terminal gate..we easily dropped the rental car off and they took all 6 of us and luggage (12 pieces :eek:..I know we're over packers) right to the ship's luggage drop off..very easy to do.

We're first time renters from Thrifty (Hotwire). Was there a reason you didn't pick up the car at the airport instead of taking a taxi to the hotel?

Were you happy with the overall service from Thrifty? Any other comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Our flight after our cruise doesn't leave until 2:15. We are thinking of getting a rental car instead of sitting at the airport all day.Does anyone have experience catching a shuttle on the day of arrival in the port to the rental car agency and returning it 3 hours later? I'm

We're first time renters from Thrifty (Hotwire). Was there a reason you didn't pick up the car at the airport instead of taking a taxi to the hotel?

Were you happy with the overall service from Thrifty? Any other comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Since the car rental for us was based on a time frame (24 hr. increments)..we opted to taxi to the hotel as it was 6:00am sleep for a while and then get the rental car around 12:00 as this would be the time we would be returning it, also there was the cost to park at our hotel...Yes we were very happy with Thrifty they provided us with a brand new large mini van since we were a family of 6 adults...quick and easy pickup (they picked up my husband took him to the rental location which was very close by our hotel on 17th street (Embassy Suites) and he was back quicker than I imagined he would be...Then drop off was just as easy the van was waiting for us when we dropped off the car and we were quickly taken right to the ship as their rental office is right outside the Port Everglades gate (large shuttle van with plenty of room for us)...Enjoy !!!

Since the car rental for us was based on a time frame (24 hr. increments)..we opted to taxi to the hotel as it was 6:00am sleep for a while and then get the rental car around 12:00 as this would be the time we would be returning it, also there was the cost to park at our hotel...Yes we were very happy with Thrifty they provided us with a brand new large mini van since we were a family of 6 adults...quick and easy pickup (they picked up my husband took him to the rental location which was very close by our hotel on 17th street (Embassy Suites) and he was back quicker than I imagined he would be...Then drop off was just as easy the van was waiting for us when we dropped off the car and we were quickly taken right to the ship as their rental office is right outside the Port Everglades gate (large shuttle van with plenty of room for us)...Enjoy !!!

Thanks for your reply Ashland. One more logistical question if you don't mind. if you had it to do over again would it make any sense to drop our luggage (and my wife) at the ship first and then go back to return the car just outside the port? Or is it just as convenient to stay together and drop the car first and then take the shuttle together with our luggage to the ship?

Thanks for your reply Ashland. One more logistical question if you don't mind. if you had it to do over again would it make any sense to drop our luggage (and my wife) at the ship first and then go back to return the car just outside the port? Or is it just as convenient to stay together and drop the car first and then take the shuttle together with our luggage to the ship?

Not Ashland but we have done it both ways and I prefer to drop off the large pieces of luggage with the ship's porters first (no need for your wife to wait with it) then return the car---we then only have to deal with the carry-on stuff.

Marge

I would not waste time sitting in the at times long line to get into the port just to drop off luggage..not to mention the traffic and congestion near the luggage drop off area at the terminal and then back out again...The Thrifty shuttle is very large and will easily accommodate you and your luggage (large & small) and makes it's way easily through the port gate as it does this often...We do this with 6 of us so you will do it very easily with just the two of you...Enjoy...the less stress the better..let someone else more familure do the driving.

Not Ashland but we have done it both ways and I prefer to drop off the large pieces of luggage with the ship's porters first (no need for your wife to wait with it) then return the car---we then only have to deal with the carry-on stuff.

Marge

Thanks for the advice Marge

I would not waste time sitting in the at times long line to get into the port just to drop off luggage..not to mention the traffic and congestion near the luggage drop off area at the terminal and then back out again...The Thrifty shuttle is very large and will easily accommodate you and your luggage (large & small) and makes it's way easily through the port gate as it does this often...We do this with 6 of us so you will do it very easily with just the two of you...Enjoy...the less stress the better..let someone else more familure do the driving.

Thanks Ashland. Between you & Marge I now have both sides of the story. Much appreciated!!

Our flight after our cruise doesn't leave until 2:15. We are thinking of getting a rental car instead of sitting at the airport all day.Does anyone have experience catching a shuttle on the day of arrival in the port to the rental car agency and returning it 3 hours later? I'm

We did budget with the ev3 location code. Shuttle picked us up from port after cruise. Five minute ride to rental location and then we returned to the airport when it was time for flight home. Very simple. We made did a Everglades tour first. Then stopped for lunch. Then a stop at the beach and some shopping. Taxi would have added up quickly

Archived