Bon Voyage Experience - San Francisco - June 9,2013 review

always_cruisin

We did the BVE on the Grand yesterday. We are also sailing her on Nov 25th to Hawaii so this was a pre-cruise "get the know the ship" visit for us.

We arrived at the pier at 10AM and walked over to Pier 39 for a hot drink and to wait for the BVE check in, which started at 11AM. At about 10:45, we walked back over to the Grand and entered the terminal (the door has a sign that says Bon Voyage check in) and were greeted by a nice lady who directed us to the check in counter. This took maybe 5 minutes. Once we were checked in and got our sign and sail cards, we were instructed to sit in the waiting area and wait for the Future Cruise Consultant to greet us and take us onboard. She arrived shortly thereafter and we went through security, had our "boarding" photos taken, and were on the ship.

Wow, she is a beautiful ship. We decided to tour on our own, rather than do a group tour. The ship was practically empty since it was just open to BVE guests at this time.

After walking around the ship, we enjoyed a four course lunch in the Da Vinci dining room, and then explored the ship some more. By now, the Grand was full of passengers. We walked around some more, enjoying the ambiance of the ship and people watching. :)

We had to disembark by 2:50, so we retrieved our photos and made our way back to the terminal. Very sad, but at least we knew that we'd be back in Nov to enjoy her even more.

Some quick notes that we thought of for others who are doing the BVE in SF:

Parking is available either in an outside lot across from the pier or a local garage. We chose a covered garage about 2 blocks from the pier (DH has the receipt so I will post the address later).

Arrive early. There were cars everywhere along the Embarcadero.

Take advantage of the "emptiness" of the ship when you first arrive. Take as many photos as you can then.

Thanks so much for this most recent information. We'll be boarding to cruise and have invited two guests for the BVE. Were you required to be in the dining room at a certain time, like Noon, or could you go later than that? We will be a party of 7, and I like the idea of being able to walk around the ship while few passengers are onboard. Thanks in advance for your comments about this.

A couple more questions/concerns: Was there someone at the door who had a list of those attending the BVE that were checking people off as they entered?

Did your boarding pass say BVE anywhere on it?

Our 2 guests have already been paid for by me, and they are balking a little at giving their credit card information on the form, but I guess there is no way to print boarding passes for them without that information? I would list my credit card, but since I am a cruising passenger, I have a different booking number, so I don't think that would work.

Perhaps I'm getting a little paranoid over this, but knowing the "zoo" the SF port area can be, I'm just trying to make this experience go as smoothly as possible!!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks so much for this most recent information. We'll be boarding to cruise and have invited two guests for the BVE. Were you required to be in the dining room at a certain time, like Noon, or could you go later than that? We will be a party of 7, and I like the idea of being able to walk around the ship while few passengers are onboard. Thanks in advance for your comments about this.

Lunch was served from 12:00-1:30. I think you just have to be there sometime between those hours.

A couple more questions/concerns: Was there someone at the door who had a list of those attending the BVE that were checking people off as they entered?

Our 2 guests have already been paid for by me, and they are balking a little at giving their credit card information on the form, but I guess there is no way to print boarding passes for them without that information? I would list my credit card, but since I am a cruising passenger, I have a different booking number, so I don't think that would work.

Perhaps I'm getting a little paranoid over this, but knowing the "zoo" the SF port area can be, I'm just trying to make this experience go as smoothly as possible!!

Thanks for your help!

Yes, there is a list. You can use any credit card to check in online for their BVE. They didn't ask to see a credit card at check in, just ID (we used our passports).

The boarding pass does say Bon Voyage Experience on it and the ladies at the door double check them.

One thing that bothered me a little is that they kept our S&S cards when we disembarked. We got to keep them when we did the BVE on the Star last year.

The Grand seems to have a policy to keep cruise cards at disembarkation. That's the only ship out of all of them I've cruised on that required you to turn it in.

The credit card for embarkation is for any expenses charged onboard. It's just like giving your credit card when you check into a hotel even if it's pre-paid. You can charge a drink, buy an FCC, get a gelato, etc. rather than pay cash onboard.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Bucky 3,

We had two guests for the BVE last December. I had to give their credit card info to Princess. The reason being, in case they wanted to purchase anything. (which they didn't) I think the only place it could have been used was the bar at that point. I printed off their boarding passes and they received a cruise card just like we did when we boarded. They would have used the cruise card and then it would have been billed to their credit card. I agree, it is a little odd that they want your guests credit card information.

The Grand seems to have a policy to keep cruise cards at disembarkation. That's the only ship out of all of them I've cruised on that required you to turn it in.

The credit card for embarkation is for any expenses charged onboard. It's just like giving your credit card when you check into a hotel even if it's pre-paid. You can charge a drink, buy an FCC, get a gelato, etc. rather than pay cash onboard.

Thanks Pam, your clarification made more sense than mine!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's comments. Should anyone else run into this problem (See my post #5 above) here's the scoop.

I called and talked to a gal named Sue at Princess. She had our booking numbers (DH and mine), who will be passengers, linked to our 2 BVE guests' booking number. That way I could give our credit card number and name on their credit card form. Ahhh, problem solved. I printed their boarding passes, and their passes show DH's name as being responsible for their account.

I assume that if you are not guests of a passenger, and you are not willing to list a credit card number on the personalizer, you would not be able to print a boarding pass. I really didn't go into that any further 'cause I was so happy to have my problem solved.

Sue, the gal I talked to at Princess, was great. She was very friendly and helpful and found a solution. I really do think Princess needs to redo the personalizer information and the boarding passes necessary for the BVE. Much of the information asked for (and given) does not apply to non-passengers.

We did the BVE on the Grand yesterday. We are also sailing her on Nov 25th to Hawaii so this was a pre-cruise "get the know the ship" visit for us.

We arrived at the pier at 10AM and walked over to Pier 39 for a hot drink and to wait for the BVE check in, which started at 11AM. At about 10:45, we walked back over to the Grand and entered the terminal (the door has a sign that says Bon Voyage check in) and were greeted by a nice lady who directed us to the check in counter. This took maybe 5 minutes. Once we were checked in and got our sign and sail cards, we were instructed to sit in the waiting area and wait for the Future Cruise Consultant to greet us and take us onboard. She arrived shortly thereafter and we went through security, had our "boarding" photos taken, and were on the ship.

Wow, she is a beautiful ship. We decided to tour on our own, rather than do a group tour. The ship was practically empty since it was just open to BVE guests at this time.

After walking around the ship, we enjoyed a four course lunch in the Da Vinci dining room, and then explored the ship some more. By now, the Grand was full of passengers. We walked around some more, enjoying the ambiance of the ship and people watching. :)

We had to disembark by 2:50, so we retrieved our photos and made our way back to the terminal. Very sad, but at least we knew that we'd be back in Nov to enjoy her even more.

Some quick notes that we thought of for others who are doing the BVE in SF:

Parking is available either in an outside lot across from the pier or a local garage. We chose a covered garage about 2 blocks from the pier (DH has the receipt so I will post the address later).

Arrive early. There were cars everywhere along the Embarcadero.

Take advantage of the "emptiness" of the ship when you first arrive. Take as many photos as you can then.

Thanks!!

I'm doing a BVE in July and would love to have the Parking info.

Did you have to have your passport?

I had a BVE person who boarded with us on the 5/10 Grand sailing. The BVE person drove us to the pier and has never cruised; as a result, I did not ask him for his credit card and I paid the $39.00 using my card. He did not want Princess to add him to their mailing list and send him communications about having $39.00 off his next cruise which he does not plan to take. Then there was the problem of his not having a passport-not everyone does. So Princess allowed us to use his birth certificate for the purposes of printing a boarding pass but allowed him to use his CA drivers license for boarding. Yes, I think Princess should change their BVE application as most of the questions do not apply to the BVE person--it seems just a way for them to add to their mailing list. Hope this info helps.

Thanks!!

I'm doing a BVE in July and would love to have the Parking info.

Did you have to have your passport?

The garage is the 80 Francisco Garage. It was $12 to park all day.

You don't have to have your passport to board. A drivers license is fine.

I was on the BVE in March and the dinning room is open from 12 noon to 1:30 pm. As someone else said take as many photos as you can as they will not have a lot of people in them and will also be minus the lounge chairs.

Tom:)

I had a BVE person who boarded with us on the 5/10 Grand sailing. The BVE person drove us to the pier and has never cruised; as a result, I did not ask him for his credit card and I paid the $39.00 using my card. He did not want Princess to add him to their mailing list and send him communications about having $39.00 off his next cruise which he does not plan to take. Then there was the problem of his not having a passport-not everyone does. So Princess allowed us to use his birth certificate for the purposes of printing a boarding pass but allowed him to use his CA drivers license for boarding. Yes, I think Princess should change their BVE application as most of the questions do not apply to the BVE person--it seems just a way for them to add to their mailing list. Hope this info helps.

They need all of the same information as the people going on the cruise because of the necessary all because of 911 as they need to know whose going on the ship, thus the requirements. Using your own credit card should not mean getting mail from Princess. One question why did they not pay cash? Would have solved any concerns that they had. I have read that you could list your D/L license if you did not have a passport.

Tom:)

Yes, I think Princess should change their BVE application as most of the questions do not apply to the BVE person--it seems just a way for them to add to their mailing list. Hope this info helps.
I agree that some of the questions, such as those about cruise history and preferences, are superfluous but the rest are required by the TSA, not Princess. Including passport # or the appropriate ID. To program a separate form for just BVE passengers is not cost-effective. At most, there are 40 people doing the BVE out of perhaps 2600-3000 passengers in a very few ports and a few sailings. A minuscule percentage.

If someone doesn't want to receive marketing emails, just unsubscribe or use your email settings to block. Problem fixed.

While my cruise card was not BVE, no one took mine when I left the ship on 6/9.

Thanks for the clarifications; however, to answer Tom's question the BVE registration must be paid at the time of registration--that's one of the reasons why I used my credit card. Yes, the BVE person paid me in cash. Also Driver's licenses are not accepted on the application except for four or so states which have special licenses. That's why Princess allowed the use of a birth certificate for the purposes of printing a boarding pass for the BVE person but told us he could present his driver's license when boarding. I have nothing further to say on this topic and I hope my info may have helped a few people.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Always Cruisin for starting this thread.

We are going on a BVE in a couple of weeks. We had some struggles to register people who did not have passports. We were told to use the people's driver's license numbers. However, when we tried to use "Driver's License" in the pull down menu for ID type it did not work. What we finally figured out, and what Princess verified, is that you use the pull down choice "Birth Certificate" and then input the person's driver's license number. Princess confirmed that this is the correct way to work within the system. The problem with the driver's license choice is that it is actually "Enhanced Driver's License" which only a few states have.

Now to my question..... Can anyone confirm that you can purchase a Future Cruise Credit when you are on a BVE? I believe that this is the case, but would like to confirm it.

Now to my question..... Can anyone confirm that you can purchase a Future Cruise Credit when you are on a BVE? I believe that this is the case, but would like to confirm it.

Yes, you can purchase a FCC on a BVE.

Archived