Puerto Chiapas

condomando

The Port area has a swimming pool and bar area, visited alot by Ship staff, a nice shopping market, nice grounds to walk around on. Did not take tour there, but found out there were buses running into "town" at cost from the Pier area, the several people we talked with that did this, said not much to see. We were there in Oct. on a Panama Canal Cruise.

I was also there in Oct. on a Panama Canal Cruise. We took a tour booked through NCL. I can't remember the exact name of the tour, but it took us by bus to a mangrove swamp area where we boarded small 6 person boats that explored the mangrove areas. We saw tons of birds. Our guide made sure we were able to see anything worth seeing in the area. It was a nice relaxing few hours floating on the water.

The port area was nice as the previous poster said. I remember there was some music and entertainment going on. We did not shop, but many folks were looking around the many small shopping stalls in the open air cruise terminal area. Not too many cruise ships visit this port, and the local folks are anxious to make sure all visitors enjoy themselves.

We were there in October on Panama Canal cruise. There is a thatched roof building quite close to where the ship docks. Inside there is non-stop entertainment, dancers or band, surrounded by small shops. If you walk all the way through the other side there are taxis and tour buses and a shuttle to the town.

We spent a delightful couple of hours inside the building watching the entertainment and browsing the tiny crowded shopping stalls.

Because of husband's mobility problems we did not take any tours but still enjoyed our morning there.

Puerto Chiapas has tried very hard to have a beautiful and pleasant cruise ship port setting. Although town is some distance away on shuttle buses (and we've never been in our two stops there), as others have said, the port dock area is very nice with very nice people. We've enjoyed just hanging out there, having a beer or two and maybe something to eat.

We haven't been there yet, but will be next October on a Panama Canal cruise. The ruins of Izapa are accessible from that port and it is believed to be the site of the Mayan Calendar (that ended in 2012). That's what we're going to do when we're in port.

I didn't know about the port entertainment and pool though. That sounds fun too.

Hi has anyone been to puerto chiapas. looking for things to do and not having much luck. have a nice day

I'm guessing that pre-columbian civilizations are not your thing?

We took the Chiapas Through The Ages tour. They reversed the order we saw things (presume so all buses wouldn't get to the 'ruins' at once), so we went to the museum and other buildings in Tapachula first. Ancient civilizations are kinda my thing, so I enjoyed the museum and the Izapa visit very much. It was very humid, but they loan you a big golf umbrella for walking around the grounds at Izapa. You can also sample unusual tropical fruit at stands there, and buy some coffee or something to support the local economy.

The little mall back at port has $1 beer! Try the local Victoria. One of the shops has tremendous prices on beaded jewelry -- others have other specialties. There is also a small-ish room with wifi/internet, but can't speak to the speed or ease of use as we stayed unplugged at this port!

I'm going in Jan. We are hoping to get some recommendations from a friend who grew up in Tapachula. The nearest city. When are you going? Maybe I can help you or you can help me if you are going first.

The adventure is in the planning.

Hi thank you for your reply. I'm going in April and would like very much to hear what you did in Puerto Chaipas. thank you again and have a merry Christmas

I'm guessing that pre-columbian civilizations are not your thing?

We took the Chiapas Through The Ages tour. They reversed the order we saw things (presume so all buses wouldn't get to the 'ruins' at once), so we went to the museum and other buildings in Tapachula first. Ancient civilizations are kinda my thing, so I enjoyed the museum and the Izapa visit very much. It was very humid, but they loan you a big golf umbrella for walking around the grounds at Izapa. You can also sample unusual tropical fruit at stands there, and buy some coffee or something to support the local economy.

The little mall back at port has $1 beer! Try the local Victoria. One of the shops has tremendous prices on beaded jewelry -- others have other specialties. There is also a small-ish room with wifi/internet, but can't speak to the speed or ease of use as we stayed unplugged at this port!

I have done some ruin tours before in Cozumel and other spots in Mexico. I love them but the wife not so much. the dollar beers sound good. thank you very much and have a Merry Christmas

We haven't been there yet, but will be next October on a Panama Canal cruise. The ruins of Izapa are accessible from that port and it is believed to be the site of the Mayan Calendar (that ended in 2012). That's what we're going to do when we're in port.

I didn't know about the port entertainment and pool though. That sounds fun too.

Thank you for your reply we my just find a beach and hang out. thank you again and have a Merry Christmas

Puerto Chiapas has tried very hard to have a beautiful and pleasant cruise ship port setting. Although town is some distance away on shuttle buses (and we've never been in our two stops there), as others have said, the port dock area is very nice with very nice people. We've enjoyed just hanging out there, having a beer or two and maybe something to eat.

thank you for your reply a beer or two sound good. thank you and have a Merry Christmas

We were there in October on Panama Canal cruise. There is a thatched roof building quite close to where the ship docks. Inside there is non-stop entertainment, dancers or band, surrounded by small shops. If you walk all the way through the other side there are taxis and tour buses and a shuttle to the town.

We spent a delightful couple of hours inside the building watching the entertainment and browsing the tiny crowded shopping stalls.

Because of husband's mobility problems we did not take any tours but still enjoyed our morning there.

Thank you for your reply and the information. thank you again and have a Merry Christmas

I was also there in Oct. on a Panama Canal Cruise. We took a tour booked through NCL. I can't remember the exact name of the tour, but it took us by bus to a mangrove swamp area where we boarded small 6 person boats that explored the mangrove areas. We saw tons of birds. Our guide made sure we were able to see anything worth seeing in the area. It was a nice relaxing few hours floating on the water.

The port area was nice as the previous poster said. I remember there was some music and entertainment going on. We did not shop, but many folks were looking around the many small shopping stalls in the open air cruise terminal area. Not too many cruise ships visit this port, and the local folks are anxious to make sure all visitors enjoy themselves.

Thank you for your reply I will look up this tour and thank you again for the information and have a Merry Christmas

The Port area has a swimming pool and bar area, visited alot by Ship staff, a nice shopping market, nice grounds to walk around on. Did not take tour there, but found out there were buses running into "town" at cost from the Pier area, the several people we talked with that did this, said not much to see. We were there in Oct. on a Panama Canal Cruise.

Thank you for your reply and have a Merry Christmas