4-Day NCL Sky Observations -- Spring Break Overload

Just got home from our 4-day sailing on the NCL Sky. We are two men in our 30s from NYC in a group of 8 men, also in their 30s.

Let me start by saying we had some idea of the kind of crowd we'd be sailing with from reading prior reviews from this time period. But nothing quite prepared us for the sheer number and "intensity" of the hordes of riotous spring breakers carousing the ship all day and night, starting fights, vomiting in or near the pool, simulating sex in public areas and being generally trashy.

Given our age and background, we were not as sensitive to rambunctious young people as older people might be, so the fact that we had this reaction is really saying something. I felt genuinely sorry for the seniors and young families on board. All that being said, due to the fact that we had an insular group of friends, we ate together, did excursions together and took every opportunity to avoid the spring breakers, which we managed to do relatively successfully at least 50% of the time. I guess what really left a bad taste in our mouths was the few times we were stuck mixing with the inebriated college kids and getting called "F-GS." Yes, this happened more than once, on different days. We did nothing to provoke this and I have NEVER had that experience on any other cruise. I think it was the product of the classless, juvenile, frat boy atmosphere on this cruise. Unfortunately, it translates into a loss of business for NCL as I will never sail the Sky again, and have serious reservations about sailing again with NCL.

As for the ship itself, it's pretty much what we expected. A decently maintained older ship. Everything looked its age, but except for minor issues (some corrosion on metal in bathroom, slight odor issues in various corridors), NCL does a pretty good job of keeping things clean and respectable looking. It is by no means a luxury mega ship, and it rocks and creaks a good deal more than newer ships we've been on with Celebrity and RCI.

We were surprised that the Beverage Package was not offered on our sailing, but figured out the logic once we saw all the spring breakers, who likely would have all been hospitalized by the 1st day in port had they had open bar. It was, of course, a huge profit-generator for NCL who realized they would lose money on most beverage packages offered to binge-drinking co-eds.

The staff was generally friendly but very pushy with drinks. One female server would even go so far as to "steal" customers from other bartenders/servers in order to get points for herself. You can tell NCL pressures the staff hard to sell, sell, sell. It's helpful when you want to get a drink quickly, but mostly feels abrasive and intrusive. Cabin stewards were nice but did very little in the way of making guests feel special -- no chocolates on the pillows, no little "gifts" like a comp bottle of water -- that are standard on most other cruise lines. I blame NCL, though, not the servers, for this.

Lastly, the one bright spot was the food, which was generally good to very good, especially considering how low our expectations had been driven based on our experience everywhere else on the ship. We ate only in the main dining room (Palace and Crossings) and the buffet. Good selection, tasty and prepared as ordered. Service in the MDR, however, was spotty and slow.

Bottom line: Avoid sailing NCL to the Bahamas in late February to March unless you want a Carnival-type experience (with the exception of the food) for an NCL price.

Sorry to hear. Spring breakers are one thing then add in a 3/4 day booze cruise and it just doesn't mix. Its a good thing NCL stops the UDP during this time frame.

We try to avoid breaks, xmas summer vacation times.

Europe in summer is even worst!

Edited by Ilovesailing

Spring break + short cruise = Nightmare ..

OP , I can assure you that 7 day cruises on NCL even during spring break

are no where near that craziness .. We sail every March when the kids are on break and not once have we had to deal with morons like you described .

Better luck next go around.. ;)

Sorry to hear about your experience.

It is inexcusable that you were called disgusting names. That's just horrible!

Thanks for the post.

Hope you have a better cruise next time (not during spring break!)

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Spring break + short cruise = Nightmare ..

OP , I can assure you that 7 day cruises on NCL even during spring break

are no where near that craziness .. We sail every March when the kids are on break and not once have we had to deal with morons like you described .

Better luck next go around.. ;)

I concur.

OP, it makes no difference to me who you choose to sail with, but I do sort of hate to see an entire cruise line written off because of a bad experience with a bunch of idiots and bigots on one 3-4 day "booze cruise." Not to say it was a booze cruise for you and your group, but clearly it was for the others, and fortunately I can say I've never witnessed anything like that, on NCL or any other line.

At any rate, all of the negative things you mentioned would surely have left a very poor impression with me as well. I think the only logical thing for you to do is book another cruise to get this one out of your mind. :D

I think it was the product of the classless, juvenile, frat boy atmosphere on this cruise. Unfortunately, it translates into a loss of business for NCL as I will never sail the Sky again, and have serious reservations about sailing again with NCL.

Thanks for the review. I truly hope that you won't write NCL off completely because of this. There is a good reason why we mostly cruise on longer cruises - on our first Caribbean cruise (B2B) one leg was a 5-night cruise during March, and we learned our lesson then and there.

I don't hold passenger demographics on those specific cruises against NCL and other than that one cruise have had completely different experience onboard - also with other FoD.

Just got home from our 4-day sailing on the NCL Sky. We are two men in our 30s from NYC in a group of 8 men, also in their 30s.

Let me start by saying we had some idea of the kind of crowd we'd be sailing with from reading prior reviews from this time period. But nothing quite prepared us for the sheer number and "intensity" of the hordes of riotous spring breakers carousing the ship all day and night, starting fights, vomiting in or near the pool, simulating sex in public areas and being generally trashy.

Given our age and background, we were not as sensitive to rambunctious young people as older people might be, so the fact that we had this reaction is really saying something. I felt genuinely sorry for the seniors and young families on board. All that being said, due to the fact that we had an insular group of friends, we ate together, did excursions together and took every opportunity to avoid the spring breakers, which we managed to do relatively successfully at least 50% of the time. I guess what really left a bad taste in our mouths was the few times we were stuck mixing with the inebriated college kids and getting called "F-GS." Yes, this happened more than once, on different days. We did nothing to provoke this and I have NEVER had that experience on any other cruise. I think it was the product of the classless, juvenile, frat boy atmosphere on this cruise. Unfortunately, it translates into a loss of business for NCL as I will never sail the Sky again, and have serious reservations about sailing again with NCL.

As for the ship itself, it's pretty much what we expected. A decently maintained older ship. Everything looked its age, but except for minor issues (some corrosion on metal in bathroom, slight odor issues in various corridors), NCL does a pretty good job of keeping things clean and respectable looking. It is by no means a luxury mega ship, and it rocks and creaks a good deal more than newer ships we've been on with Celebrity and RCI.

We were surprised that the Beverage Package was not offered on our sailing, but figured out the logic once we saw all the spring breakers, who likely would have all been hospitalized by the 1st day in port had they had open bar. It was, of course, a huge profit-generator for NCL who realized they would lose money on most beverage packages offered to binge-drinking co-eds.

The staff was generally friendly but very pushy with drinks. One female server would even go so far as to "steal" customers from other bartenders/servers in order to get points for herself. You can tell NCL pressures the staff hard to sell, sell, sell. It's helpful when you want to get a drink quickly, but mostly feels abrasive and intrusive. Cabin stewards were nice but did very little in the way of making guests feel special -- no chocolates on the pillows, no little "gifts" like a comp bottle of water -- that are standard on most other cruise lines. I blame NCL, though, not the servers, for this.

Lastly, the one bright spot was the food, which was generally good to very good, especially considering how low our expectations had been driven based on our experience everywhere else on the ship. We ate only in the main dining room (Palace and Crossings) and the buffet. Good selection, tasty and prepared as ordered. Service in the MDR, however, was spotty and slow.

Bottom line: Avoid sailing NCL to the Bahamas in late February to March unless you want a Carnival-type experience (with the exception of the food) for an NCL price.

I am sorry you didn't have a wonderful, and peaceful cruise, but I will also add, anyone who chooses to sail from early March until about Easter (especially early to mid March) should expect exactly what you got: a bunch of wild kids, mainly partiers. add to it, you choose a ay cruise, even more likely you would be bombarded with what you got. I will add, this is not just NCL or even Carnival; the same thing would have happened on the short RCI cruises. And I would like to know why you would write NCL off, because you choose to cruise during the wildest week at sea. This would be like people who write New Orleans off because of all the wildness on Fat Tuesday? YO referred to the kids as classless frat boys: frat boys, too much to drink, probably, but not necessarily classless, just not totally gown up yet.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Thanks, Ilovesailing, David, mpk & Robin (meatball).

Quincella - I agree. Like I said, we expected a certain amount of debauchery based on the timeframe and the itinerary. But this was really beyond the pale. And I will definitely take your advice -- booking our next cruise ASAP to cleanse the palate! :D

Demonyte - It was more than just the devil children on board. It was the pushiness of the servers, the subpar entertainment, inadequate room at the shows we did want to attend and poor service in the MDR -- none of which was ever a problem on RCI or Celebrity.

NMNita -

I will add, this is not just NCL or even Carnival; the same thing would have happened on the short RCI cruises. And I would like to know why you would write NCL off, because you choose to cruise during the wildest week at sea. This would be like people who write New Orleans off because of all the wildness on Fat Tuesday? YO referred to the kids as classless frat boys: frat boys, too much to drink, probably, but not necessarily classless, just not totally gown up yet.

I refer to them as classless not just because of their sloppiness and inebriation but because of their casual use of slurs when addressing fellow passengers who neither provoked them nor wanted anything to do with them. Even in high school (much less college) I never was so crass as to laugh at and abuse complete strangers who did nothing to me. FYI, we brought the matter to the attention of NCL the 1st time. They told us they'd take a report and intervene if it happened again. When it happened again, they told us there was nothing they could do and "it's Spring Break, so just calm down and have a drink, they're kids, let it go..." :rolleyes: So yes, I will hold NCL accountable for their response to the insults if not the insults themselves.

Gross. Sorry you had to cruise with such trashy people. Drinking is one thing, but vomiting in public spaces and hateful slurs just go too far and NCL should not tolerate either of those things. There's a place for public vomiting, and it's called Carnival. ;)

FWIW we did a 5 day spring break cruise out of Miami on Celebrity with our three children and there was none of that. So not all short spring break cruises are booze cruises. We will certainly choose our lines carefully in the future though. I can't imagine having kids with me on a cruise like you described!

Having just done 2 cruises on MSC, and having lived in Budapest for the past year and a half with the European "don't bother the customer unless she asks" attitude, I am quite looking forward to having a bartender push drinks on me on my upcoming cruise. Bring it on!

Sorry about your bad experience, especially the name calling. I just got off the Pearl today from a five-night sailing, and the crowds were massive. But many folks were commenting on how well behaved many kids were. Yes there were drunken groups traveling loudly outside our cabin at unfortunate times, but also well dressed groups keeping it classy in the Summer Palace. I'm not sure I would do it again. I hope your next Norwegian cruise is much more enjoyable.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hear. Spring breakers are one thing then add in a 3/4 day booze cruise and it just doesn't mix. Its a good thing NCL stops the UDP during this time frame.

We try to avoid breaks, xmas summer vacation times.

Europe in summer is even worst!

I'm curious as to what you mean by this?

Europe has a much more sensible attitude to alcohol than US - I've rarely seen people insensible and insulting due to drink on my European cruises.

Kids in Europe are generally introduced to alcohol at an early age so the 'novelty - let's get wasted' factor is not so prevalent. We also do not have the 'frat' mentality which seems to be a driver for this kind of behaviour.

Queuing/Elevator etiquette is another issue however...

I, too, am concerned after reading this; our first ever cruise (with two young teens) departs in 2 weeks, 4 days on the Sky. Nothing I can do about it now anyway, so will just make the best of it, how bad can anything be if you're on a boat and in the sun, right?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OH NO!!! :eek: Dear OP et al, I put my DH on this ship on Friday. :eek: (I'm in California, where we live most of the time, but I arranged the cruise for him). I haven't spoken with him since sail-away on Friday. He didn't mention a lot of kids, just said the pax were a "motley crue".

I told him he should go to Senor Frog's in Nassau- it looks like fun. He's a young 53 but would not tolerate anyone speaking to him the way you described. They'd be missing their front teeth right about now. Sure hope he's not in the pokie. :eek:

Hopefully the 3-nighters are better than the 4-nighters. I'll let you know in the morning.

Whew, is right! Thanks for reporting back!! Relieved to hear that! Glad he is enjoying! Hopefully same holds true 2 weeks from now! (Maybe all your American spring breaks will be over by then?!) :)

I, too, am concerned after reading this; our first ever cruise (with two young teens) departs in 2 weeks, 4 days on the Sky. Nothing I can do about it now anyway, so will just make the best of it, how bad can anything be if you're on a boat and in the sun, right?!?!

By then most of the college crowd, which is the worst will be back in class and getting ready for finals before school is out. Yes, 4 day cruises are going to attract a lot more young people but that doesn't mean they are all going to be like the spring break crowd.

Im quite concerned now after reading this. We have just booked a 7 day carribean cruise on the getaway for march 14 2015. Please somebody tell me it isnt always this bad? :confused:

Expect a full spring break crowd. This will be the busiest week of the spring breaks. It will fall on the Ontario March Break, where millions (yep millions) of kids are on holiday. Many Ontario families go south, many on cruises. Their will be kids from 1-18 for sure, like on one Spirit cruise we were on had 700 students on board. There was a huge contingent from Carnagie Mellon university that took up the entire main pool and hot tubs the whole week. Another on the Caribbean Princess that we were on left from San Juan had 300-400 u18 on board. The Florida and New York cruises are the most popular as families can drive to the port.

The colleges and universities stagger the breaks. Anywhere from February to the end of March are the prime times. There is website that lists how many college and uni students are off in North America week by week.

We loved doing the march break cruises with our lads. They thought it was fantastic. Lots of others to hang out with and have fun. Hubby and I enjoyed the sun and when we wanted quiet, we would head to our balcony to read.

Any person booking during this time frame better do their research. All the main cruise lines will be carrying lots of families for the 3-8 day cruises and there will possibly be huge groups from college and universities on board as well. Particularly the cheap 4 day cruises that the OP mentioned. There should be no griping or complaining if booked during this time. Five minutes worth of research will give you the heads up that this is a crazy time to book for a quiet vacation. This goes for land vacations as well. You can be darn sure most all inclusives in Caribbean are jam packed as well.

FWIW we did a 5 day spring break cruise out of Miami on Celebrity with our three children and there was none of that. So not all short spring break cruises are booze cruises. We will certainly choose our lines carefully in the future though. I can't imagine having kids with me on a cruise like you described!

@Carolina - We will most likely be returning to =X= for our next cruise. NCL is not totally out of the picture, I'd just feel more comfortable with a known product next go around, and I have found =X= generally suits our tastes very well. Have fun on your cruise!:)

Im quite concerned now after reading this. We have just booked a 7 day carribean cruise on the getaway for march 14 2015. Please somebody tell me it isnt always this bad? :confused:

I would venture to say you'll be OK. A 7-day sailing on a new ship is less likely to attract a lot of college kids, and the ones that are on your sailing are more likely to be sailing with their parents due to the higher price tag. However, you will probably have a large number of teens -- hopefully, most of them will not be drinking. ;)

If it wasn't clear from my post, I should point out that we actually did enjoy ourselves overall, despite the challenges. For better or worse, our group has a thick skin, so the name-calling, while unpleasant, did not ruin our trip in and of itself. Nor did the spring break rowdiness. If you're willing to take it all in stride and remember that you're on vacation in paradise (in the case of the Bahamas, Paradise Island), you should be fine. Your trip is also on the tail end of Spring Break, so you might miss the craziness entirely.

One more piece of advice -- since it's your 1st time cruising, you should know that NCL is free-style cruising so there is no assigned seating at dinner on the Sky. In order to avoid long waits, both to be seated and to get your food, if you can skew your meal time a bit later (after 8:30 p.m. or so) you should find it more pleasant and efficient. We found this was doable by having a light meal in the outdoor cafe around 5 p.m. or at the buffet around 5:30 p.m. And the food in all venues, like I said in my OP, is actually very good. I particularly recommend the Snapper and the Pumpkin gnocchi in the MDR. :)

I just spoke with DH and he didn't see anything like what the OP described. He said all different ages were onboard and the ship is looking a little aged but the crew and the food were fine. Whew!!! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it. We probably inadvertently picked the absolute craziest week to sail. :rolleyes:

If it wasn't clear from my post, I should point out that we actually did enjoy ourselves overall, despite the challenges. For better or worse, our group has a thick skin, so the name-calling, while unpleasant, did not ruin our trip in and of itself. Nor did the spring break rowdiness. If you're willing to take it all in stride and remember that you're on vacation in paradise (in the case of the Bahamas, Paradise Island), you should be fine. Your trip is also on the tail end of Spring Break, so you might miss the craziness entirely.

One more piece of advice -- since it's your 1st time cruising, you should know that NCL is free-style cruising so there is no assigned seating at dinner on the Sky. In order to avoid long waits, both to be seated and to get your food, if you can skew your meal time a bit later (after 8:30 p.m. or so) you should find it more pleasant and efficient. We found this was doable by having a light meal in the outdoor cafe around 5 p.m. or at the buffet around 5:30 p.m. And the food in all venues, like I said in my OP, is actually very good. I particularly recommend the Snapper and the Pumpkin gnocchi in the MDR. :)

Thanks everyone for the information and updates and advice!! Very much appreciated!

You're exactly right, we plan to take it all in stride, and whatever happens happens! Go with the flow, right?! Thanks for the tip on early snack and later dinner, will definitely do that, thank you! May I ask how the casino is, fun, (smokey I understand!), is there any poker tourneys, do you know? Not sure if I will get a chance to go, depends on the kids and their activities, but hope to have a bit of time!

I have researched myself silly on this cruise, and while I knew spring break was a possibility and expected party time from them, as they should on their breaks! I guess I assumed there would be more control over it on a boat by the staff, I think that's where my surprise emanated from. But I've decided not to worry; me and the kids will have our trip of a lifetime (and hopefully more!!! And just relax and enjoy the sun and the sea! (First ocean experience for them too!)

:)

Thanks again!