Quantum Maiden Arrival (300+ photos and video!)

DEIx15x8

I pulled an all nighter yesterday so I could spend the morning at the Tear Drop Monument to watch her big arrival. I've finally got everything uploaded. There is a full hour of video to watch of her coming into the harbor, visiting the Statue of Liberty, and finally docking. I also have the first moment that the new sky bridge touched a ship and a few minutes of footage on the new terminal building at the end. The start is a bit dark as it was...dark! The sunrise over her and the city was beautiful though and I have to say she looks much different in person. Can't really explain it but even with her backing into the dock towards us her stern does not look as wide at the bottom and narrow at the top, Two70 is also almost unoticable like SeaPlex. The element that seemed to actually stand out the most was the Adult Solarium and fitness center area. I was kind of surprised as that's the opposite of what stood out in every photo and video I've seen. Overall she seems much curvier on the side and more streamlines in the front and back than I was expecting.

While there I heard from some people involved in the project that they were not even certain the sky bridge would fit as they had never been given any information on the Quantum class in order to build for her specifics. They also had to get a team form the manufacturer in Sweden (I believe, it was an S in Europe) to come over and fix it very recently. At this point only one of the two bridges is even operational with no firm timeline on the other. They are also supposed to have tents for handling luggage and at this point only have 1 with an additional 4 to be arriving in several weeks. So they are operational, but they are still certainly not done and fully running as they are supposed to be. It is a surprisingly beautiful and clean looking terminal on the outside though. Reminds me a lot of the one in Baltimore. When leaving though it is a bit shocking to then drive through the old terminal (been about 5 years since I was there) and see just how horrible it looks in comparison.

Hope you enjoy the video, it's an hour long with nearly half of it just being her pulling in up close so feel free to jump around:

[YOUTUBE]EFo_2Ingqjw[/YOUTUBE]

As well as the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115365916503583655211/QuantumOfTheSeasNovember102014MaidenArrivalToTheUS?noredirect=1

Here are just a few highlights from the morning:

DSC04092.JPG

DSC04109.JPG

DSC04175.JPG

DSC04185.JPG

DSC04230.JPG

DSC04240.JPG

Edited by DEIx15x8

I don't know what is more exciting...the Quantum, or the new terminal finally functioning. No more buses!

I was in JC yesterday, drove through Liberty State Park and glanced over to see which ship was in...and there it was.

Definitely a different sight than seeing the Explorer....

Glad everyone enjoyed it all, makes it worth all the effort!

Derek, great pictures. I'm assuming that the North Star was locked down before sailing under the V.B.

Was hard to see her on the other side of the bridge, but I doubt they used it prior to passing under the bridge (probably not since it got stuck) but as soon as she was through they started. As she passed in front of us the funnels were already extended again and the North Star was rising.

I don't know what is more exciting...the Quantum, or the new terminal finally functioning. No more buses!

I was in JC yesterday, drove through Liberty State Park and glanced over to see which ship was in...and there it was.

Definitely a different sight than seeing the Explorer....

It's a beauty. I was worried about the design being industrial but it is very functional looking. With the rough winters they probably wanted something that would wear nicely. It still looks very aesthetically pleasing from the front and has a ton of parking lanes to unload (I'm assuming it's for that).

It is strange seeing myself in your pics and video:). Good to see I wasn't the only one in my dressing gown:D

We had cabin 9648, 4th deck above the small rescue boat.

9648 has a very deep balcony with the rail at an angle.

Even on a ship you have to worry about someone spying on you, lol. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Terrific pictures and video Derek, thanks for posting. I particularly enjoy just listening to all the sounds of the cruise pier, the gangway beeping, the porters yelling, the seagulls, just wonderful.

Counting down the hours till we board Quantum tomorrow morning...

Jonathan

Terrific pictures and video Derek, thanks for posting. I particularly enjoy just listening to all the sounds of the cruise pier, the gangway beeping, the porters yelling, the seagulls, just wonderful.

Counting down the hours till we board Quantum tomorrow morning...

Jonathan

Yeah, I enjoyed the majestic music many of the videos from Germany used, but their is something so peaceful about the natural sounds of it all. That's why I rarely modify the sound or video appearance beyond cutting clips together.