NCL Star Family Suite 12008 or 12018

Freespir8

We just got back from our cruise through the Panama Canal on the Star and had a fabulous time! We were in a Family Suite 12016. We had been in the same room before and love it. We enjoyed it again this time with the exception that 3 out of the 4 windows needed to be replaced. It didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise but it sure would have been nice to have them all visible.

I am looking to book another Family Suite on a cruise on the Star but was wondering if anyone has stayed in 12008 or 12018? Do you know if the windows in those are also needing replacement? Also, on the deck plans, it looks like the indent of the ship makes the rooms at the bow (12008) smaller than 12018. Is this true or is it just the way the deck plans look? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We just got back from our cruise through the Panama Canal on the Star and had a fabulous time! We were in a Family Suite 12016. We had been in the same room before and love it. We enjoyed it again this time with the exception that 3 out of the 4 windows needed to be replaced. It didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise but it sure would have been nice to have them all visible.

I am looking to book another Family Suite on a cruise on the Star but was wondering if anyone has stayed in 12008 or 12018? Do you know if the windows in those are also needing replacement? Also, on the deck plans, it looks like the indent of the ship makes the rooms at the bow (12008) smaller than 12018. Is this true or is it just the way the deck plans look? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We were in 12518 last September and the windows were ok, but I had read that they needing replacing earlier in the year due to leaks. We have booked a SJ on the Star for next year and are looking forward to the post dry dock improvements happening in March.

Good to know. Do you know the dates they are going into dry dock?

She should be on her way to get spiffed up after her return from the Panama Canal on March 1, 2015 and back and ready for my cruise on March 17th. Perhaps your family suite windows will be ready for your next cruise on the Star:D

Hadn't heard about many of the side windows having problems any time recently. After they first converted to those rooms, many complaints about blown seals especially in the front DOS (we had that issue) but not too many of the side rooms. Seems people had more problems with rain leaking with the side rooms but also haven't heard about that recently.

Can't speak to size, but generally speaking, the rooms more forward are quieter due to less foot traffic and from above as you aren't under the jogging track

She should be on her way to get spiffed up after her return from the Panama Canal on March 1, 2015 and back and ready for my cruise on March 17th. Perhaps your family suite windows will be ready for your next cruise on the Star:D

We are planning on the March cruise as well. :) Maybe we will see you there! Thanks so much for the information!

Hadn't heard about many of the side windows having problems any time recently. After they first converted to those rooms, many complaints about blown seals especially in the front DOS (we had that issue) but not too many of the side rooms. Seems people had more problems with rain leaking with the side rooms but also haven't heard about that recently.

Can't speak to size, but generally speaking, the rooms more forward are quieter due to less foot traffic and from above as you aren't under the jogging track

We had some rain leaking in ours as well this year. It wasn't horrible but it was noticeable. We like the idea of a quieter space so as long as the rooms are the same size, that sounds like our best bet.:D

We are planning on the March cruise as well. :) Maybe we will see you there! Thanks so much for the information!

Ours is a 5-day leaving on March 17th but there are a few of us from around Northern California signed up for the meet and greet. Perfect day for a Dublin, CA ;) resident to set sail.

Ours is a 5-day leaving on March 17th but there are a few of us from around Northern California signed up for the meet and greet. Perfect day for a Dublin, CA ;) resident to set sail.

I like your thinking...;)and we are officially booked for the same cruise leaving on the 17th. I went back to book our room and almost all of them were gone except for 2! Thank goodness the suite we wanted was still available on one of the sites (although it was gone on the NCL site) so we quickly booked it. I will pop over to the meet and greet and look forward to meeting my fellow Northern Californians. :D

I like your thinking...;)and we are officially booked for the same cruise leaving on the 17th. I went back to book our room and almost all of them were gone except for 2! Thank goodness the suite we wanted was still available on one of the sites (although it was gone on the NCL site) so we quickly booked it. I will pop over to the meet and greet and look forward to meeting my fellow Northern Californians. :D

Yippee!!! This is exciting news:D I am glad you got one of the two remaining family suites. We are in an aft wrap penthouse.

Lucky you! I have always wanted to stay in an aft penthouse. How do they compare in size to a family suite. Do you know? They seem to be the first to go so I am hoping to book one for our Alaska cruise in 2016 when they open up.

The family suite has more room according to what I read. We never stayed in one. One of us has a disease called "balcony addiction" It's not the DH LOL We originally was ready to book the penthouse with larger balcony but then my TA saw an aft open. I always wanted one too! I am so excited! I think a few on our roll call may have stayed in both.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - my name is don't-use-real-name and I am a cruise-a-holic:

Hi there from your cabin neighbor 12012.

There were only two balcony cabins on each side of the ship - mine was right

next door to your suite and one of the windows was in sad repair - the double

pane panel had a ruptured seal and fogged up in the am and was cloudy on the

top section. The other adjacent window was fine but needed a good cleaning

of the grime of cruises past. And of course the balcony did not need attention

but our Panama voyage was almost under constant wind driven siege. The

padding on the deck furniture was always being blown about. But it was a

chance to put the dogs head out the window and take in whatever weather

blew my way rain or shine - did have a bit of rain transiting the canal.

Am sailing the western Caribbean on the NCL DAWN 1/11/2015 in suite 12030

with balcony - will try and remember to pass on critic about this to you later.

You might just nudge the ole memory chip later in case I forget.

It appears that the DAWN and the STAR are indeed true sister ships.

The deck plans and features are such that I could walk-about the ship with a

blindfold on and know everything I need to know cavet the names of various

dining rooms passageways meeting rooms bars are changed but the location

remains exactly the same.

I forgot to ask why on deck 12 forward the deck (floor) rises toward the bow

of the ship but maybe it has to do with a conversion of the former Spinnaker

Lounge to the suites we were in.

Was great having the pleasure of meeting fine folks like yourself !

Bucket list for 2015-2016 season the NCL SUN South America !

Ahoy and regards !

Robert

We sailed the star this past January thru the canal is Suite 12006. We were the closest SJ suite to the front of the ship. It was the same exact size as all of the rest...no difference there. BUT...we did have three windows in desperate need of replacement.

Hope that helps :)

Hi - my name is don't-use-real-name and I am a cruise-a-holic:

Hi there from your cabin neighbor 12012.

There were only two balcony cabins on each side of the ship - mine was right

next door to your suite and one of the windows was in sad repair - the double

pane panel had a ruptured seal and fogged up in the am and was cloudy on the

top section. The other adjacent window was fine but needed a good cleaning

of the grime of cruises past. And of course the balcony did not need attention

but our Panama voyage was almost under constant wind driven siege. The

padding on the deck furniture was always being blown about. But it was a

chance to put the dogs head out the window and take in whatever weather

blew my way rain or shine - did have a bit of rain transiting the canal.

Am sailing the western Caribbean on the NCL DAWN 1/11/2015 in suite 12030

with balcony - will try and remember to pass on critic about this to you later.

You might just nudge the ole memory chip later in case I forget.

It appears that the DAWN and the STAR are indeed true sister ships.

The deck plans and features are such that I could walk-about the ship with a

blindfold on and know everything I need to know cavet the names of various

dining rooms passageways meeting rooms bars are changed but the location

remains exactly the same.

I forgot to ask why on deck 12 forward the deck (floor) rises toward the bow

of the ship but maybe it has to do with a conversion of the former Spinnaker

Lounge to the suites we were in.

Was great having the pleasure of meeting fine folks like yourself !

Bucket list for 2015-2016 season the NCL SUN South America !

Ahoy and regards !

Robert

It was great meeting you too Robert! Good to know about the balcony. I think we felt like we missed out a little not having one this time' date=' mostly because of the visibility issue with the windows. Glad to hear we really didn't miss much. Deck 13 was definitely close enough to walk up to and get some fresh air and we did feel safe an secure watching the storms that came through during that trip. :)

I wonder if the floor rising will affect the height of the ceiling in the more forward rooms? We did book 12008 so fingers crossed it still has that nice high ceiling that made the room feel even more spacious.

So jealous of your Sun cruise..South America is a bucket list of ours too. The good news is that at least we have two cruises already booked for 2015. We are anxiously awaiting the 2016 schedule to book our Alaska trip. :)

We sailed the star this past January thru the canal is Suite 12006. We were the closest SJ suite to the front of the ship. It was the same exact size as all of the rest...no difference there. BUT...we did have three windows in desperate need of replacement.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much...it does help! Not sure if you can answer this, but did you notice a difference in the ceiling height at all?

I'm in an SJ later this month on the Star. If the windows aren't clean I'll ask for them to be cleaned. What happened when you complained about the visibility or didn't you complain?

We didn't bother to complain. It's not an issue of them being dirty...the windows are shot. It's fogged between the panes. They have to be replaced! We didn't sit around in our cabin so it wasn't a big deal!

I'm in an SJ later this month on the Star. If the windows aren't clean I'll ask for them to be cleaned. What happened when you complained about the visibility or didn't you complain?

We complained and asked them to be cleaned, unfortunately the seals are broken on most of them which means that cleaning won't fix it. It's between the double pain and can only be fixed by replacing the windows. That will most likely happen in March when they go into dry dock. Thinking about it now, it would have been nice if they had comped us dinner or something..the visibility was that bad. As you can see from Robert's picture, 3 of our 4 windows looked like that.

We complained and asked them to be cleaned, unfortunately the seals are broken on most of them which means that cleaning won't fix it. It's between the double pain and can only be fixed by replacing the windows. That will most likely happen in March when they go into dry dock. Thinking about it now, it would have been nice if they had comped us dinner or something..the visibility was that bad. As you can see from Robert's picture, 3 of our 4 windows looked like that.

We had 4 (if I recall correctly) when we were on the Star in one of the outer DOS. That was back in late 2011 but I've heard a few intermittent reviews on either the Star or Dawn where it gets mentioned.

SAM_1260_zps980e9128.jpg

Edited by dexddd

To fix the problem that annie--- and I had would require removing the entire

window - this is not going to happen while the ship is underway! And with the

limited turn around time it is not going to happen in port either.

My cabin steward and butler noted that the problem had been written up

previously and until the ship gets to port with time to have a crew and window

available for replacement it just not going to happen. The stateroom on deck

12 is some 10 stories above the waterline and nothing but open airspace

except for a perch off the two balcony cabins and the only other accessible

device is the window washing gantry that are only used when the ship is at

anchor or tied to a dock/berth. These windows have to be ultra heavy - double

pane semi insulated dimensions a foot off the floor extending to the ceiling and

about 4 feet wide. And for all I know may have to be custom made to fit and

then transported to the ship when the replacement can be done with the

necessary equipment. You can picture the window replacement being done just

like it would be on a high rise building except the building is not ebbing and

swaying with the tide.

I would suppose that a formal complaint might result in getting a bottle of

sparkling bubbly or dinner for two in special restaurant "BUT" maintenance

problems do occur and patience is a virtue - have NCL note it and then give it

a rest. It isn't like "Stop the ship (world) I want to get off" ! The issue of

visibility is not comfortable; sure - but unless it is a safety issue it is not going

to be attended to right away or while the ship is underway. When the ship

is sailing a full capacity there isn't any wiggle room to reassign you to another

stateroom of equal caliber - it is a difficult situation - make the best of it.

To fix the problem that annie--- and I had would require removing the entire

window - this is not going to happen while the ship is underway! And with the

limited turn around time it is not going to happen in port either.

My cabin steward and butler noted that the problem had been written up

previously and until the ship gets to port with time to have a crew and window

available for replacement it just not going to happen. The stateroom on deck

12 is some 10 stories above the waterline and nothing but open airspace

except for a perch off the two balcony cabins and the only other accessible

device is the window washing gantry that are only used when the ship is at

anchor or tied to a dock/berth. These windows have to be ultra heavy - double

pane semi insulated dimensions a foot off the floor extending to the ceiling and

about 4 feet wide. And for all I know may have to be custom made to fit and

then transported to the ship when the replacement can be done with the

necessary equipment. You can picture the window replacement being done just

like it would be on a high rise building except the building is not ebbing and

swaying with the tide.

I would suppose that a formal complaint might result in getting a bottle of

sparkling bubbly or dinner for two in special restaurant "BUT" maintenance

problems do occur and patience is a virtue - have NCL note it and then give it

a rest. It isn't like "Stop the ship (world) I want to get off" ! The issue of

visibility is not comfortable; sure - but unless it is a safety issue it is not going

to be attended to right away or while the ship is underway. When the ship

is sailing a full capacity there isn't any wiggle room to reassign you to another

stateroom of equal caliber - it is a difficult situation - make the best of it.

Except the problem has been on-going on the Star and Dawn since they put those suites in. We didn't say anything when we went in the room but the butler apologized saying they were going to be fixed in the near future (or similar wording).

Someone on here had the same room about 9 months later and they were still the same. I understand the complexity of fixing the problem but based on the number of rooms that seem to have the problem a lot of people are experiencing this issue week after week.