So..how hard is the first SOLO cruise?

KPfromCT

DH and I are separated, and have been for 7+ years. We have a DD who is 16 years old.

Clearly, I am the ONLY one who LOVES cruising.

For the past 3 years, we have all gone together.

This year, they don't seem into it.:mad::mad:

I found a good deal, for a single, inside, on the Sunshine. It's a 5 nighter, so I am thinking that's a good way to get my feet wet. Being a solo....:o

I consider myself outgoing, but then I start thinking about the MDR and sitting with a bunch of strangers, and I feel the anxiety building....:rolleyes:

Think I'll be OK?

Thank you in advance for all the tips and suggestions.:D

I have a Dh and 2 kids, but this momma needs a break so I booked a 4 night on sensation solo. It will be my first one but I'm just going to roll with it. No one to answer to, do what I want when. It just sounds blissful. I'll let you know how it is when I get back 35 days and counting down!

I have a Dh and 2 kids, but this momma needs a break so I booked a 4 night on sensation solo. It will be my first one but I'm just going to roll with it. No one to answer to, do what I want when. It just sounds blissful. I'll let you know how it is when I get back 35 days and counting down!

Awww!!! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!! I put it on a 24 hour hold.

I really think I am going to pull the trigger tonight, and just SUCK IT UP.

How bad can it BE? Right?:D

I did a 5 night solo years ago and had a blast! Go for it!

Thank you!!! Again, I AM an outgoing person, but I guess I worry more about security and being safe. Weird like that. I think I'll be fine. Thank you again!:D

You will be fine!:)

My first solo cruise was on Sensation in 2000. I had only done one cruise prior to that with my parents in 1999. But that was the cruise where I discovered what I had been missing all the years before. I found out that i loved cruise vacations.

I wanted to do one the following year, but neither family nor friends were interested in going on a cruise during my vacation time, so I bit the biscuit and went solo first time. I was 44 years old, and had done solo land vacations many times so a solo cruise did not seem that frightening to me....until.

I boarded the ship and had early dining and during sailaway, remember standing on deck, and enjoying the sailaway, but being terrified at going down to the dining room for dinner with a group of strangers, who I felt sure would not like me, or find me boring. I contemplated not going, and just doing buffet for 7 days, but that is not my style! So I went to dinner, quivering in my shoes.....

Big surprise! I found myself at a very big table of wonderful and interesting people, some my own age, some older, some younger, many solo, but some couples too. Dinner became a highlight of my day, to talk to these lovely people, have fun, and as the week wore on, we crossed paths on deck and sat with each other on deck to sun ourselves, we even met up on land in port, and much much more......A nicer group of people I could not even have hand picked for myself.

I am still cruising solo mostly 15 years later. Have gone again with my parents and also met up with some folks I met on prior cruises on subsequent cruises, but always book my own room, solo cost.

I suggest trying it once, and do try fixed time dining early or late, whichever you prefer, and you will likely find yourself seated with other people cruising solo, same age and demographic. If you find yourself seated at a table not quite to your liking, then do see the maitre d' after the first dinner and request a change. That is what they are there for, among other things.

What I love about solo cruising is having the room to myself:D Love having all the closets and drawers and space to myself, bathroom available when I want it. Get up when I want, do what I want on board, eat when I want, room service when i want, go to whatever show I want to. etc.

Only downside to solo cruising is in ports of call, doing tours, I sometimes feel like odd person out, but many kind people do also take me under their wing and make me feel part of the crowd. I always find many people on board ship and off who are friendly and will engage in conversation, and I never feel alone.

This is a long winded post, but it is how I feel about solo cruising, and recommend to anyone who wants to try it, to go ahead and try it once just to see how it is.....You just might find that you are addicted.:)

ps...when you are booked, join your roll call either here on cc or...just join roll call, you will already know some people when you board and go to meet and greet on boarding day, and maybe be able to do tours with some people with like minded interests.

Edited by SMSACE6

After cruising with my sons for a couple years, I booked 1 for me ans wow it was great not having to wait on anyone to finish getting ready, had a big ole bed all for myself and as far as dinner they sat me with 8 other solo cruisers and all in all it was awesome, So awesome in fact I did it again a month later!!

I have gone on 9 cruises solo and I have enjoyed them all. I was a little bit hesitant at first but I decided that I would not let anything stop me from cruising which is my favorite type of vacationing.

You will probably be placed at a table with other solo cruisers and of course will need to engage in a little getting to know you conversations. If you get a nice group, this can be a very nice meal time event. If you are not comfortable with your table mates, go ask for a change.

I also would suggest that you go onto your roll call and let folks know that you are solo. Let them know that you would be interested in joining others for activities and meals. I would do this a couple of times( in the beginning and when cruise is getting close). Go to all of the venues that interest you and if you become uncomfortable for any reason, give yourself permission to "just leave". Try to engage in activities that others are participating in, make small talk during lunch at Lido, maybe sign up for one ship excursion so you can meet others from the ship, and take some reading materials.

In the beginning, I must admit solo cruising was a bit of a challenge but became easier each time. I am so much more comfortable cruising solo and still do all of the things that I am telling you to do. Go and have a great time.

Ramona

Edited by gizmo911

I do have concerns about dining in the main dining, I booked anytime and the solo board suggested late seating. Again I'll roll with it :)

Unless you can be seated with others at anytime dining, I think that I would go with early or late. I love cruising solo but I hate eating alone. But that's just me.

You will be fine!:)

My first solo cruise was on Sensation in 2000. I had only done one cruise prior to that with my parents in 1999. But that was the cruise where I discovered what I had been missing all the years before. I found out that i loved cruise vacations.

I wanted to do one the following year, but neither family nor friends were interested in going on a cruise during my vacation time, so I bit the biscuit and went solo first time. I was 44 years old, and had done solo land vacations many times so a solo cruise did not seem that frightening to me....until.

I boarded the ship and had early dining and during sailaway, remember standing on deck, and enjoying the sailaway, but being terrified at going down to the dining room for dinner with a group of strangers, who I felt sure would not like me, or find me boring. I contemplated not going, and just doing buffet for 7 days, but that is not my style! So I went to dinner, quivering in my shoes.....

Big surprise! I found myself at a very big table of wonderful and interesting people, some my own age, some older, some younger, many solo, but some couples too. Dinner became a highlight of my day, to talk to these lovely people, have fun, and as the week wore on, we crossed paths on deck and sat with each other on deck to sun ourselves, we even met up on land in port, and much much more......A nicer group of people I could not even have hand picked for myself.

I am still cruising solo mostly 15 years later. Have gone again with my parents and also met up with some folks I met on prior cruises on subsequent cruises, but always book my own room, solo cost.

I suggest trying it once, and do try fixed time dining early or late, whichever you prefer, and you will likely find yourself seated with other people cruising solo, same age and demographic. If you find yourself seated at a table not quite to your liking, then do see the maitre d' after the first dinner and request a change. That is what they are there for, among other things.

What I love about solo cruising is having the room to myself:D Love having all the closets and drawers and space to myself, bathroom available when I want it. Get up when I want, do what I want on board, eat when I want, room service when i want, go to whatever show I want to. etc.

Only downside to solo cruising is in ports of call, doing tours, I sometimes feel like odd person out, but many kind people do also take me under their wing and make me feel part of the crowd. I always find many people on board ship and off who are friendly and will engage in conversation, and I never feel alone.

This is a long winded post, but it is how I feel about solo cruising, and recommend to anyone who wants to try it, to go ahead and try it once just to see how it is.....You just might find that you are addicted.:)

ps...when you are booked, join your roll call either here on cc or...just join roll call, you will already know some people when you board and go to meet and greet on boarding day, and maybe be able to do tours with some people with like minded interests.

Thank you so much for your post! It has helped me tremendously!!!!! I am thinking worst case, I spend my days in Serenity and dinner on Lido.:D:D

And, quite honestly, I am fine with that.

Thank you again!!!!!! Getting excited.

I have been a solo cruise since 2010 and I love it. My situation is different than yours, as I was always a single mom and cruised with my kids until they got older and had their own lives.

Since I am retired now and only take longer cruises, I usually have cruise friends on the same cruises I book. I don't like to dine with strangers, but that's me. A lot of my cruise friends do ATD now, so whoever wants to join that night just meets at a designated spot at a certain time. I also have no problem grabbing my Kindle and grabbing a bite to eat on the Lido. I get crowd anxiety, so I'm more comfortable doing my own thing, or with a small group.

Also get on the Roll Call and see if there are other solos who might want to get a table together. Sometimes I know right away who I will or will not get along with on a roll call.

I had 1 bad experience at a solo table one time with one very obnoxious person, who preceded to clear the table the first night. Luckily I had friends who had an extra spot at their table.

I think you will enjoy it. You can come and go as you please, do whatever you want, and have the bathroom all to yourself. LOL Have fun!

I've cruised 45+ times and 6 of those have been solo. I was so nervous my 1st time, but just needed some down time. I went and loved it. Funny thing is all my solo cruises have been 5 nights, not really planned that way just the way it happened. I'm a married solo cruiser - the DH just doesn't like cruising,

One thing I guess that helped me was even when I cruise with family or girl friends, we aren't joined at the hip so I was used to doing things by myself. I was nervous about Dinner, but Carnival is great about grouping solos or friends traveling together - as one of the other posters said I looked forward to dinner every night and would always run into some of my tablemates during the day.

I have done a few ship sponsored excursions - but I have also not gotten off the ship - again, you can do whatever you like.

Try it that's the only way you will know if you like it, and 5 nights isn't too long if you find its not really your thing. I'm looking for a good deal right now myself.

My first time cruising solo, I was so nervous I got sick at the airport.

Once I got on board, I realized my fears were unfounded.

You generally meet plenty of people and find a lot to do.

I have now been on a total of 4 solo cruises.

DH and I are separated, and have been for 7+ years. We have a DD who is 16 years old.

I found a good deal, for a single, inside, on the Sunshine. It's a 5 nighter, so I am thinking that's a good way to get my feet wet. Being a solo....:o

I consider myself outgoing, but then I start thinking about the MDR and sitting with a bunch of strangers, and I feel the anxiety building....:rolleyes:

Think I'll be OK?

If you enjoy your own company, you will have a great time. No need to feel anxiety. Just relax and have a good time.

Crusing solo is way easier then, crusing with family and friends.

I absolutely agree with this. Get up when you want. Sleep when you want. Eat when you want. Do what you want. There's nothing stressful about that at all. :-)

We all react a bit differently, don't we? My first solo was 2 or 3 years after the split, but our love of cruising never died. I bit the bullet and went alone to fulfill my cruise withdrawal. I had never booked a cruise myself, let alone get myself there. I'm not outgoing at all and was worse then. To make a long story short, I ate mostly on lido. A few times ate in the DR and asked to sit with others. Formal night used to be a biggie for us, that night hit me the hardest. The next cruise I got braver and talked more. Even met another gal who wanted to cruise, we eventually cruised as a cabin share for 3 cruises. I'm back to solo, went on 2 in November. I'm not sure I want to share my cabin and all my time again with someone. My main hang up time is meals and no one to talk with when the day is done. My choice now is solo, that freedom to do what you want and when you want without having to check in with someone.

We all react a bit differently, don't we? My first solo was 2 or 3 years after the split, but our love of cruising never died. I bit the bullet and went alone to fulfill my cruise withdrawal. I had never booked a cruise myself, let alone get myself there. I'm not outgoing at all and was worse then. To make a long story short, I ate mostly on lido. A few times ate in the DR and asked to sit with others. Formal night used to be a biggie for us, that night hit me the hardest. The next cruise I got braver and talked more. Even met another gal who wanted to cruise, we eventually cruised as a cabin share for 3 cruises. I'm back to solo, went on 2 in November. I'm not sure I want to share my cabin and all my time again with someone. My main hang up time is meals and no one to talk with when the day is done. My choice now is solo, that freedom to do what you want and when you want without having to check in with someone.

Thank YOU!:D I am feeling pretty confident. It's like anything else, the first time is the hardest. I just need to do it. :)

Think I'll be OK?

Yeah it will be A-OK, and more than that, fantastic. I took my 1st solo cruise on Splendor from San Juan to Miami on a repositioning cruise on 01 Nov. I had my apprehensions too, eventhough I have traveled solo by air all over the world. Well my concerns stopped about 2 hours into the cruise, maybe less. Had heard Carnival does a great job in putting solo travelers together in the MDR, and it was so true. Met some great folks at my table and hung out at the bar several times with one of the dudes I met at dinner. You mentioned being outgoing. Well you will not have a problem at all then. I am semi-outgoing and I met people at every turn. Exchanged e-mail addresses etc, and have communicated with many of them since the cruise.

Then I saw a great deal on Paradise from Tampa on 04 Dec, a 4 nighter to Cozumel. Couldn't resist the price. So I took another solo trip, and had a blast on that one too. Again have communicated with of couple of the guys I met on that one. Again, Carnival did a great job seating solo folks together in the MDR.

The only downside to solo is you generally will pay more, sometimes double but sometimes the price is already so low, it still is a good deal. Love traveling with my friends, and I have a great time then too in different ways. The talking and laughing etc among great friends is immeasurable. The upside to traveling alone is you have your own cabin.

So all in all, no worries, not at all. You will enjoy!

I have been on quite a few solo cruises. Everyone is apprehensive the first time they cruise solo because you don't know what it's like and you think everyone is looking at you. When you get on the ship, all of that disappears and you start to relax and enjoy yourself.

As others have said, you would be better off with assigned seating rather than any time dining. My tablemates have been other solos or friends traveling together and around the same age as I am. I've also met people in the theater and start talking to them. A lot of people are very welcoming when they learn you are alone. They ask me to sit with them at the theater and watch for me.

As far as safety and security, I think for solos, a cruise is a safe way to vacation. I never feel unsafe walking around the ship. You don't have to advertise you are alone to everyone you talk to.