P&O Drinks

Trev-uk

Hi Trev, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

P & O are different to the vast majority of cruise lines in that there's no restriction on taking aboard any alcohol at any port, to drink in your cabin or balcony.

A sensible amount of wine, spirits, beers, whatever.

They do reserve the right to confiscate excessive amounts - happens very occasionally, usually with groups of lads lugging on crates of beer and clearly intent on being blotto cruise-long.

We take wine aboard, and top up at ports of call as required.

And a bottle of Pimms & some lemonade, plus some mint if we remember. Add some fruit from the buffet, and anytime is Pimms o'clock on the balcony. :)

JB :)

Agree with JB...not a word is said when the limoncello is brought on board in Italy, or Spanish brandy in Malaga.... :D

We don't bother all that much at Southampton, because the drinks prices on board are only the same as at the pub....and no enforced gratuity.....:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to buy a wine package but seem so expensive. How much are their house wines?

Depends on how much wine you drink. If you think you will drink a bottle a night or a bottle over 2 nights I would say its worth it. For a 14 night cruise we order the 12 bottle package. We are not wine snobs, sticks to whites and if we have one we really like we will stick with it for a few nights.

We paid £13.50 on Ventura, and other ships but £15 on Britannia. They do a nice house white.

Thanks. Was going to buy the 12 bottle package. Not a wine cones ure so really not saving anything by buying the package.:(

As others have said, there is no restriction to the amount of alcohol (within reason) that you can bring onboard. On our last cruise on Ventura in June we took a litre of Bacardi, a litre of gin, two bottles of wine and a bottle of port with no problems whatsoever.

I had looked at buying a wine package but I found that, as my wife doesn't really drink wine I managed quite nicely buying a bottle every other night instead. If you do this, then the wine waiters will label your wine and store it for the next evening.

Enjoy your cruise!

We took a wine box on our first cruise, and hardly drank any of it because we only really drink in the evenings when we aren't in the cabin anyway. We occasionally take a bottle of champagne for sail away but generally it's too much effort for what it's worth and we just buy a glass. We are on a 24 night next year and I'm thinking it will be worth it for that as there are lots of sea days but I'm not going over board (forgive the pun)

As others have said, there is no restriction to the amount of alcohol (within reason) that you can bring onboard. On our last cruise on Ventura in June we took a litre of Bacardi, a litre of gin, two bottles of wine and a bottle of port with no problems whatsoever.

I had looked at buying a wine package but I found that, as my wife doesn't really drink wine I managed quite nicely buying a bottle every other night instead. If you do this, then the wine waiters will label your wine and store it for the next evening.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is not supposed to be a stupid question:rolleyes:, but how did you take those bottles on? Just in carrier bag, in your carry on, or what?

Simon

We put any drinks we take in a wheeled carry on case. Then it's easy to move it around while waiting for the cabin to be ready. We usually take a bottle of champagne, a bottle of Pimms and some lemonade as the mixers are quite expensive to buy on board - well enough for the first one or two Pimms anyway. On occasions we have taken a bottle of gin as well. There is never any problem as long as you don't wheel cases of the stuff on board!

We put any drinks we take in a wheeled carry on case. Then it's easy to move it around while waiting for the cabin to be ready. We usually take a bottle of champagne, a bottle of Pimms and some lemonade as the mixers are quite expensive to buy on board - well enough for the first one or two Pimms anyway. On occasions we have taken a bottle of gin as well. There is never any problem as long as you don't wheel cases of the stuff on board!

I guess this is the advantage to cabins ready on embarkation no more worrying about weight of hand luggage, because you will be able to off-load the bottles as soon as you board [emoji6]

This is not supposed to be a stupid question:rolleyes:, but how did you take those bottles on? Just in carrier bag, in your carry on, or what?

Simon

Simon, there is never a stupid question :)

We wrapped the spirits and the port in bubblewrap and then in two or three carrier bags and put them in the middle of our suitcases, firmly encased in clothing. The wine was carried on in our hand luggage.

We also took on a box of 250ml Diet Coke and a box of 250ml tonic water, again in our suitcases.

We had no problem whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

We think the selection and cost of buying wine by the glass was very good on our recent Aurora cruise. It allowed us to try different wines without committing to a bottle and decide what we liked best.

Although being one of those who was very sorry to see Café Bordeaux disappear, I must say we really enjoyed the the wine taster options and food in the Glasshouse although it usually had only a handful of people in there. It might take a while to catch on but prices were very reasonable starting at £3.95 for 175ml glasses of wine with a good selection available and a range of reasonable prices.