Definitive and Downloadable N America Wine List - as of Nov/2015

Steelers36

Hi fellow Princess CCer's. Some of you know that I have posted the attached wine spreadsheet at different times on other threads on the subject.

In November, I made the final set of corrections and updates when we were on board REGAL. The attached wine information has been in place for some time in 2015, and of course Princess will eventually raise prices and swap out labels.

But for now, you can take this one to the bank heading into the winter season.

Some notes:

The spreadsheet was built not just as an Excel replication of the on board DR wine list. It was designed to indicate total pricing with the obligatory 15% service tip and to provide a comparative analysis to the same wine purchased on land.

I used TOTAL WINE of Fort Lauderdale as my price comparison because it is a popular stop for Port Everglades cruisers to stock up before sailing. I have used them on a number of occasions myself. If TOTAL did not have a particular item, I checked elsewhere on the web within USA retailers.

Princess does not provide vintage years on their wine list, and that would be difficult to obtain, short of having some unfettered access to the wine cellar. However, we can assume they have the most recent vintage on sale as they are not cellaring wine like fine restaurants do (I saw this seems the case on our cruise as well). So, I cannot guarantee wine prices on land, but I believe it's a pretty good approximation.

I added Florida sales tax to the price, plus a $15 corkage fee before comparing price to the on board price. You can easily alter the sales tax rate for your home state if you are purchasing there and transporting your wine.

As you look at the spreadsheet, you will see that only two bottles appear to be cheaper on board than if you can bring your own. Also, it's the most expensive bottles that have the least markup compared to retail stores.

The other factor is mostly my opinion. Princess has a lot more low value/quality wines on the list now compared to say 3-4 years ago. These wines are sub-$10 or so and well marked up. You can find a lot better quality and value by paying a little more (say up to $20), add on the $15 corkage and you are in the range where Princess is offering up so-so wine and plonk for same price point.

Enjoy.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Fall.xls

Edited by steelers36

thank you so much for doing this!!

I wish that Princess would relax the "carry on" rules for those cruises that no longer offer the wine packages. Even though the offerings are slim, I would have ordered the package for our upcoming Regal 7 nighter.

Looks like I'll be paying some $15 corkage fees.

Thanks for putting this together. I see one error on your spreadsheet however...If you can find Masseto for $34 a bottle on a ship or $15 on shore, buy EVERY bottle you can find. A quick glance at the Total Wine website, using the store closest to my house, lists the wine for $599.99 for a single bottle. The last bottle of Masseto I purchased on a Princess ship was $250, and I thought that was a steal!

Thanks for putting this together. I see one error on your spreadsheet however...If you can find Masseto for $34 a bottle on a ship or $15 on shore, buy EVERY bottle you can find. A quick glance at the Total Wine website, using the store closest to my house, lists the wine for $599.99 for a single bottle. The last bottle of Masseto I purchased on a Princess ship was $250, and I thought that was a steal!

Ah, yes, I am seeing that via a quick web search. Wow!

I am suitably embarrassed. IDK how such mistakes were made. I do know the specials section was different on our REGAL cruise than in prior version I had - perhaps I copied up some data from below to set the formulae and then never got into researching the prices.

The on board prices did not make sense to me, either. Since it seems to be messed up on more than Masseto, I just deleted that section. It is more changeable than the "set" wine list and that part may vary more by ship.

If any of my numbers were nearly correct, I sure missed out on trying some high end wine for a bargain. I don't think I saw those Italian wines on the initial list, so I am not sure anymore where they were from.

ALL USERS: PLEASE IGNORE FIRST 4 WINES (MAITRE D' SPECIALS). REST OF LIST IS GOOD. ATTACHED IS REVISED SPREADSHEET.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Fall.xls

• 2 weeks later...

When purchasing 6 bottles of wine from Total Wine they give a 10% discount off the regular price. It's just another factor to consider when using your excellent list to determine what works best for each of us.

We just left Total Wine about an hour ago, Frank. Discounts now apply on full cases only...no mixing.

We were able to use a $5 off $50 coupon.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

We just left Total Wine about an hour ago, Frank. Discounts now apply on full cases only...no mixing.

We were able to use a $5 off $50 coupon.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Thanks Lew for the update & will make sure to have a coupon.

Sometimes Vons/Pavilions has wine at 30% off in addition to 10% off for 6 or more bottles of wine.