Have a complaint?

asubaru

In light of the "no more soda/water allowed to be brought on", I wanted to comment about complaints.

IMO, complaining among ourselves will not do much good; yes, venting may help a bit. I don't believe that NCL will the read hundreds of posts about the new carry on policy. They know it won't be popular and are expecting backlash.

I am of the belief that energy/time would be better spent taking your opinions to social media and contacting NCL. Facebook, Twitter, email, and snail mail are some options. Andy Stuart has a Twitter account: AndyStuart@nclandy. NCL is on Facebook with many followers.

I have contacted the woman listed below before with some concerns. She may suggest a better contact for your complaints or questions.

One thing I don't do is embellish, dramatize, exaggerate, nor threaten to leave NCL. Threatening, IMO, is counterproductive almost as bad as cursing!

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

There is a consumer advocate type website done by Christopher Elliot that has a wealth of info regarding complaints. There is even contact in for NCL. Google is your friend.

In light of the "no more soda/water allowed to be brought on", I wanted to comment about complaints.

IMO, complaining among ourselves will not do much good; yes, venting may help a bit. I don't believe that NCL will the read hundreds of posts about the new carry on policy. They know it won't be popular and are expecting backlash.

I am of the belief that energy/time would be better spent taking your opinions to social media and contacting NCL. Facebook, Twitter, email, and snail mail are some options. Andy Stuart has a Twitter account: AndyStuart@nclandy. NCL is on Facebook with many followers.

I have contacted the woman listed below before with some concerns. She may suggest a better contact for your complaints or questions.

One thing I don't do is embellish, dramatize, exaggerate, nor threaten to leave NCL. Threatening, IMO, is counterproductive almost as bad as cursing!

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

There is a consumer advocate type website done by Christopher Elliot that has a wealth of info regarding complaints. There is even contact in for NCL. Google is your friend.

Thank you.

We will both send some comments/opinions (and the number of cruises now scheduled that we will cancel) to both of these contacts.

I agree that this will get a lot more attention, especially using social media, which is more public than email.

I emailed the contact you provided above.

It was on my cell phone so please forgive any terrible errors.

Dear Ms. Ewart,

I'm writing concerning the recent change in beverage policy on NCL Cruises. I apologize if I'm writing to the wrong person. If that's the case, please let me know if there is someone you suggest contacting instead.

My wife and I cruised with NCL on the Gem last year and are due to leave on the Breakaway later this year. We're big fans.

I understand the need to reduce the number of people tediously assigned to checking for rule breaking, as well as the need to control the ships' revenue stream, but as you may have seen there are a number of loyal customers not happy with the change, particularly due to the high price of purchasing bottled water on board. I understand some other lines have rules limiting beverages brought on board but they also have significantly lower prices on the bottled water so it doesn't impact them as significantly.

Based on the above, it's obviously many people's hope that even if NCL doesn't reverse the policy, there could be some movement on the price of bottled water?

While I'm writing, may I ask what the condition of the tap water in the cabins and around the ship is? Is it drinkable/purified/chlorinated etc?

In any case, thank you for your time and anticipated response.

Sincerely,

Jessica B*****

Edited by MissJessicaB

You seriously don't know if the water in the cabins and around the ships is purified and drinkable? If not, wouldn't you ask here first, rather than ask the VP of Passengers Services?

Ask an internet forum rather than a representative of the company? No, askingthe company is the right thing to do.

Not my experience, but this poster had a bad experience with the cabin water: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214419&highlight=green+hair+chlorine

And not my picture below, but I have also experienced nasty looking water from the tap.

NCL_Water.jpg

The filtered water at the buffet, bars and dining rooms has very little chlorine taste and is safe. That tap that is about 30" away from the toilet? Not so much.

You seriously don't know if the water in the cabins and around the ships is purified and drinkable? If not, wouldn't you ask here first, rather than ask the VP of Passengers Services?

1. Please be nice. I was trying to help by writing a polite email of concern, and you picked out one part of it to be sarcastic about?

2. I asked because there were people who were concerned about what was added to the water if anything - Chlorine, Sodium etc. - as it has medical implications for them.

3. Asking someone in charge to get an answer on the record is better than someone on the forum's "I think it's X."

4. It's also entirely relevant if they think that the tap water is perfectly adequate and that bottled water is a luxury. Sure we may disagree, but it's useful to understand where they are coming from.

Edited by MissJessicaB

I and several other CC members attended the CC Meet & Greet on the Jewel during our June 4, 2016 cruise. It was a very small group and I think we were all surprised that NCL had the M&G. From the Captain on down all the main Officers were present.

The Hotel Manager, Steven made a point of telling us that NCL does read the comments on CC. He encouraged us and others who sail on NCL to continue to make comments/provide feedback.

To make a point, Steven said the company policy of not taking food back to your stateroom had been changed due to the overwhelming comments stated during one of the threads.

So I would say continue to post about NCL...the good, the bad and the ugly. Someone from NCL is reading.

Edited by hawgwildterry

1. Please be nice. I was trying to help by writing a polite email of concern, and you picked out one part of it to be sarcastic about?

2. I asked because there were people who were concerned about what was added to the water if anything - Chlorine, Sodium etc. - as it has medical implications for them.

3. Asking someone in charge to get an answer on the record is better than someone on the forum's "I think it's X."

4. It's also entirely relevant if they think that the tap water is perfectly adequate and that bottled water is a luxury. Sure we may disagree, but it's useful to understand where they are coming from.

You can ask any question you want to. We went on a tour of the ship and were told that the water was filtered and perfectly safe to drink. We have never had a problem with it, and it tastes just fine. Sometimes, you just have to take comments on this board with a grain of salt.

I've got no skin in the game, because I don't care if they allow folks to bring water/soda on or not, but I have to say that I thought your email was very well written, it was very polite and professional while getting your point across.

I drink the water in MY bathroom...it's not THAT far from the toilet...it's fine! Jeez...the toilet water on the ship , and the tap water are separate things.

Water is water people.....you do NOT need "special" water to thrive....all you need is clean water...and that is what is provided on all the ships.

I emailed the contact you provided above.

It was on my cell phone so please forgive any terrible errors.

Great email Jessica! Please let us know if you receive a response!

I've got no skin in the game, because I don't care if they allow folks to bring water/soda on or not, but I have to say that I thought your email was very well written, it was very polite and professional while getting your point across.

Thank you! I think I could perhaps have been a little stronger on the consequences of not changing the policy such as lost customers, but I think that's strongly implied anyway and I didn't want to sound either threatening or hysterical.

Great email Jessica! Please let us know if you receive a response!

Thank you! <3

Edited by MissJessicaB

You did fine, Jessica; nice letter!

I would not ask CC posters about the water quality. You're going to get the resident experts, then the resident lawyers, and then..... ;-)

I would be interested in her answer. I am making a mental note to ask that at my next M&G. I really am interested in the process(ing).

Thanks for the feedback! My next sailing has a very small group, also, and I was wondering if key personnel would attend.

I and several other CC members attended the CC Meet & Greet on the Jewel during our June 4, 2016 cruise. It was a very small group and I think we were all surprised that NCL had the M&G. From the Captain on down all the main Officers were present.

The Hotel Manager, Steven made a point of telling us that NCL does read the comments on CC. He encouraged us and others who sail on NCL to continue to make comments/provide feedback.

To make a point, Steven said the company policy of not taking food back to your stateroom had been changed due to the overwhelming comments stated during one of the threads.

So I would say continue to post about NCL...the good, the bad and the ugly. Someone from NCL is reading.

The water is treated with chemicals. I am not saying with what, or that it shouldn't be treated. I assume that it's a necessity.

Sometimes, I just can't get past the chlorine smell and/or taste. I use bottle water for coffee and tea. I do have "health" issues regarding sodium intake, also.

All the time, I can not get past ship using ship dispensers (all drinks). Actually, I have not used them anywhere, for any liquid, for years. Those machines are difficult to keep clean. They harbor bacteria.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/48-of-fast-food-soda-fountains-contain-bacteria-that-grew-in-feces.html

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/06/ice-machines-bacteria-toilet-water.html

I don't know the reliability of these articles, but I do know there are thousands regarding the subject. I've read enough to feel, I would rather carry bottled water with me than use dispensers or refill with tap water.

As far as passenger contamination, have you ever observed the buffet beverage stations and how many people refill their cup/glass/bottle? Did you notice how many touch the spouts. The worst seem to be the plastic water bottle because of the small spout....some jam it right up against the machine spout. Of course, they could use a glass to transfer, but that takes time :-)

Because people say the ship water is fine, it's safe, there's nothing wrong with it, and the like, just doesn't make it so in my mind or for my taste.

You can ask any question you want to. We went on a tour of the ship and were told that the water was filtered and perfectly safe to drink. We have never had a problem with it, and it tastes just fine. Sometimes, you just have to take comments on this board with a grain of salt.

Where do I apply for that job :D: p

In all seriousness though, I agree. In the NCL post-cruise survey there is a specific question about cruise critic. That should tell us something.

Great suggestion to voice our concerns elsewhere as well though.

I credit CC members for NCL reversing the policy of not allowing food to be taken from dining venues to cabins. Perhaps we can complain loudly enough to force a reversal (or at least a compromise) of this silly soda policy.

I drink the water in MY bathroom...it's not THAT far from the toilet...it's fine! Jeez...the toilet water on the ship , and the tap water are separate things.

Water is water people.....you do NOT need "special" water to thrive....all you need is clean water...and that is what is provided on all the ships.

You did fine, Jessica; nice letter!

I would not ask CC posters about the water quality. You're going to get the resident experts, then the resident lawyers, and then..... ;-)

I would be interested in her answer. I am making a mental note to ask that at my next M&G. I really am interested in the process(ing).

Actually, there have been some very interesting and technical discussions on this board about the purification process for water onboard ships if anyone cares to search for them. Most of the helpful information I have seen on the process has been offered by an NCL ship engineer, Chenggkp who can give you quite the technical explaination of the process.

While I do have some concerns as of late concerning the relationship between swollen feet and ship's water, the vast majority of passengers do not have this problem, and the water is very safe to drink.

Have any of you who are concerned with the water on a ship considered what process the water goes through before it reaches your taps at home? It is all "treated" water. If you drink bottled water, have you considered where that water actually comes from? Why do you consider it more pure than tap water? I believe I have seen that some of it, or maybe all, is essentially "tap" water which is bottled and we then pay a premium for.

Edited by punkincc

Actually, there have been some very interesting and technical discussions on this board about the purification process for water onboard ships if anyone cares to search for them. Most of the helpful information I have seen on the process has been offered by an NCL ship engineer, Chenggkp who can give you quite the technical explaination of the process.

While I do have some concerns as of late concerning the relationship between swollen feet and ship's water, the vast majority of passengers do not have this problem, and the water is very safe to drink.

Have any of you who are concerned with the water on a ship considered what process the water goes through before it reaches your taps at home? It is all "treated" water. If you drink bottled water, have you considered where that water actually comes from? Why do you consider it more pure than tap water? I believe I have seen that some of it, or maybe all, is essentially "tap" water which is bottled and we then pay a premium for.

We -- like probably a number of other CC members have well water from our own well (not a public well) at home. So I know exactly what is done to treat it.

I'm sure the water on the ship is "safe" to drink. So is the water where I work. But that water is so "processed" that it tastes "dead" to me compared to the water I'm used to drinking at home.

I've noticed the same thing on the few cruises I've taken. The water just tastes bad to me. I don't care for the taste of every bottled water either. Can't stand Evian, for example.

What I'm tempted to do is send a note to my PCC, telling her that I was disappointed to hear about the change. Also, maybe put together a chart comparing the beverage programs on different lines. I think NCL has a more limited set of inclusions than most. If they really want to compete with more "upscale" (their word, not mine) lines, shouldn't they have similar offerings?

What I'm tempted to do is send a note to my PCC

Waste of time, IMO. Go higher up. Earlier in the thread I posted the emails of the people you'd probably want to address and can actually do something about it.

We -- like probably a number of other CC members have well water from our own well (not a public well) at home. So I know exactly what is done to treat it.

I'm sure the water on the ship is "safe" to drink. So is the water where I work. But that water is so "processed" that it tastes "dead" to me compared to the water I'm used to drinking at home.

I've noticed the same thing on the few cruises I've taken. The water just tastes bad to me. I don't care for the taste of every bottled water either. Can't stand Evian, for example.

What I'm tempted to do is send a note to my PCC, telling her that I was disappointed to hear about the change. Also, maybe put together a chart comparing the beverage programs on different lines. I think NCL has a more limited set of inclusions than most. If they really want to compete with more "upscale" (their word, not mine) lines, shouldn't they have similar offerings?

At this time, we actually have well water also, but that has it's drawbacks too, IMO. While "city" water is monitored for purity and presence of contaminants, no one is looking at my well water unless I obtain one of those do it yourself kits and find out where to mail it off to. How do I know that run off containing pesticides from some farmer's field is not leeching into the ground water and then my well?

IMO, if someone wants to battle this ban on carry on water with NCL, using the "unsafe ship water" argument is going to get you no where. You may not like the taste, but it is safe, and you are not going to win the argument from that angle. Better to argue preference, excessive cost and comparisons to other line's programs.

Oh well, less to carry on board now :) It's funny to see people getting ready to bail out of their cruise over this. The same was said when they banned smoking on the balconies. People were allegedly canceling their cruises left and right. I don't think it effected NCL, and neither will this soda/water ban. This to shall pass.......... Royal Caribbean should be following suit soon.

Edited by Zigggypup