Would anyone on board QM2 kindly take photos of the new kennels?

MJM88

As someone who has used the kennels several times as part of a move for relocating for work, I am very curious about the new footprint for the kennels. I expect to use them again in the future to move back to the UK and would love to see photos and hear about the new set-up.

Do I understand correctly that the kennels have the same starboard-side 12 deck area plus aft deck area on 12 deck? Do the kennels also now include some port-side deck area on 12 deck as well? How has the interior space of the re-fitted kennels look?

Cunard has offered text about how they increased the number of kennel units and added a lamppost and fire hydrant, but I would find it helpful to see photos of the new arrangement and would be very appreciative if anyone on board (or Cunard) would take some photos and offer them to a wider audience.

Thanks in advance to any kind person who takes some kennels photos and posts them!

-MJM

As someone who has used the kennels several times as part of a move for relocating for work, I am very curious about the new footprint for the kennels. I expect to use them again in the future to move back to the UK and would love to see photos and hear about the new set-up.

Do I understand correctly that the kennels have the same starboard-side 12 deck area plus aft deck area on 12 deck? Do the kennels also now include some port-side deck area on 12 deck as well? How has the interior space of the re-fitted kennels look?

Cunard has offered text about how they increased the number of kennel units and added a lamppost and fire hydrant, but I would find it helpful to see photos of the new arrangement and would be very appreciative if anyone on board (or Cunard) would take some photos and offer them to a wider audience.

Thanks in advance to any kind person who takes some kennels photos and posts them!

-MJM

I am sure someone will post better photos but here is a You Tube clip from 0.39

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=50432545

The Screen shot was taken from the You Tube Video ODN.

IMG_1058.jpg.cc99193bf45e91b45d925848a62ab5b9.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg.efd272b89efa0928d89e4b2c2eb1536b.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg.bfbb818d78b58c2b5505a3fea816b763.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg.f89247268e6ccb9428af92eaf3b36073.jpg

1962920901_ScreenShot2016-07-07at20_51_05.jpg.b3af80b53fa49970aff7c653ff51305d.jpg

It looks pretty disappointing to me. The playroom is tiny. The crates look small. Evidently they added more kennels and that space came from the play room.

They did not show enough of the deck to see if it was adequate to exercise a dog, given that the playroom is barely big enough for even a few dogs at time.

They seemed more concerned with the artwork and new fireplugs than the functionality of the space.

I hope I am wrong. I was under the impression that they could accommodate dogs that were medium size but that does not seem to be the case.

It looks pretty disappointing to me. The playroom is tiny. The crates look small. Evidently they added more kennels and that space came from the play room.

They did not show enough of the deck to see if it was adequate to exercise a dog, given that the playroom is barely big enough for even a few dogs at time.

They seemed more concerned with the artwork and new fireplugs than the functionality of the space.

I hope I am wrong. I was under the impression that they could accommodate dogs that were medium size but that does not seem to be the case.

Official kennel details here. The only other way a dog is going to travel transatlantic is in a crate in an aircraft cargo hold.

FWIW, a puff piece appeared today in the NY Post Queen Mary 2’s new poop deck will make NYC dogs feel right at home.

If I remember correctly, the Captain's two Golden Retrievers have been accommodated in the kennels. I don't know if they would be considered large dogs, although I've never met a small Golden Retriever that wasn't a pup.:)

I don't have any photos, but I did get this reply from a message I sent to Cunard over Facebook after watching the YouTube video and being worried about the limited space they showed:

"Previously, there was just the owners lounge, the indoor kennels (cages) area and one outside walkway (starboard side).

Now, there is the refurbished owners lounge, a completely new indoor kennels (cages) area and a new dedicated indoor play area (the room where the old kennels/ages used to be). The outside walkway has also been doubled in size and now includes the deck walkway area aft of the kennels as well as starboard side."

They require that the dog be no taller than 36" at the head (this corresponds to the height of a large kennel). They can also open up two adjoining kennels to double the width, assuming you've booked early enough.

First, I would like to thank the many posters who linked me to the excellent photos and the video of the new footprint for the QM2's kennels. I have been waiting months to see these photos since the refit of the kennels will determine whether we use the QM2 for yet another family relocation to/ from Europe.

As someone who has used the kennels for larger dogs (golden retrievers in my case) and who had planned to again (before seeing these photos), I have to say I think Cunard has seriously screwed this up. I think they have lost me as a customer. What a shame. And to add further embarrassment to their mistake-- they could be making more money off of the kennels if they refurbished it in a smarter way.

For those who are curious about how I see it:

--The notion that doubling the kennel space will work by simply making a small dedicated playroom and doubling the dedicated outside deck space is a fantasy. Even with the addition of what Cunard is describing as a "Kennel Man" to join the "Kennel Master," there will be no sanitary way to clean up after and exercise that many pets in that small a space. The dynamics among cats and dogs changes dramatically--exponentially--when you increase their number. Space and personnel need to increase at a greater rate. Not the same rate. As mentioned in the Cunard video-- the Kennel Master was expecting 15 dogs (plus several cats) to come aboard on the next voyage. 15 dogs will all dash out on to the limited deck space and relieve themselves at almost the same moment every morning of that voyage. Several times a day actually. All at the same time! Some leaving their "calling cards" in multiple places. Two kennel personnel cannot run fast enough to clean that up in a sanitary way. The pets and owners and crew will be stepping in it frequently.

--Cunard could be making more money and have more happy passengers if they did this well. The opportunity has been lost. 20+ kennel units is not going to be manageable, and I believe that most thoughtful pet owners (those concerned about placing a pet on a plane) will lose interest in the QM2 kennel option for relocation when they realize their pet will spend a week in unsanitary conditions roving about a small space with packs of dogs and not enough staff to manage it. Instead, Cunard could easily have doubled the price for the kennels and made it the proper size/staffing for that many pets. I believe they could have tripled the price for a kennel unit and still have a waiting list-- but only if they realized that the pet's experience is key to the customer. This new footprint will enusure a bad experience for well behaved pets. Perhaps those who don't really care about their pets won't care about what this new footprint means. But that misses my point-- Cunard could have set themselves up to make more money from the kennels if they did the refit properly. Now they are chasing away folks who care about their pets and who relocate across the Atalantic every few years. And who would pay more for a sanitary/quality experience. It is a shame Cunard is chasing these folks away instead of making money from them.

--The empty rhetoric about how after the refit the pets will have "White Star Service" is pure malarkey. The only folks who might believe this are folks who never use the kennels or/ and who don't understand this 20+ kennel unit refit is unmanageable as currently advertised.

-mjm

You see it the way you see it and it's certainly your right to draw your conclusions. All of us have the right to take our business elsewhere if we don't like how it handles our needs. I hope your prediction that the area won't be cleaned up in a timely manner does not come to pass. But after the comments made by you and by Jacqueline it appears that you both are on a campaign to have the kennels declared unsanitary and unfit - and therefore closed.

BluRiband,

Thank you for your thoughtful and sophisticated post. I am sorry you misinterpreted my one post as a "campaign." I guess we differ over the use of the word "campaign."

One of the benefits of this website is that various folks are free to share their thoughtful perspectives.

Perhaps your experience in utilizing the QM2 kennels in the past leads you to different conclusions about what the refit means? Please share your thoughts with us. This is a forum where all should be free to share thier thoughful views.

Did you have any concerns on previous transatlantics with sanitary conditions at the kennels based on your experience using the kennels with your pet on the QM2? Perhaps no? Many of us did. And now the number of pets has just about doubled. I have spent weeks in the QM2 kennels on various transatlantics -- there for every minute of their opening hours with my pets.

Please share how your experiences lead you to a different assessment of the new footprint. I would love to be persuaded there is not a problem with the new footprint.

Thanks, again!

I think you're right - somebody who has not personally booked an animal in the kennels isn't qualified to comment on them. (It may be a moot point. If it is as indeed as bad as you have sized it up to be they will quickly be closed for good.) I hope your alternative arrangements will work better for you and your pet.

What an interesting thread. As someone who has taken my two dogs back and forth across the Atlantic twice (once in 2014 and once in 2015) I can not speak highly enough of the QM2's kennels. First off the Kennel Master (Oliver) was simply fantastic in how he looked after the dogs. He really cared for them and treated them well. My favourite memory was upon a return trip in the Southampton terminal waiting to board with the two dogs. They saw Oliver from a distance and went frantic to see him. They jumped all over him and gave him big kisses. They were so happy to see him. To me that says it all. In terms of the sanitary conditions-never a problem. Everything was taken care of very quickly. To me I was worried about the increased number of dogs but the increased space looks fine. Quite frankly in my experience after day 2 all the dogs settle down very nicely and all the dogs do their own thing. Some play outside. Some play inside. Some just take a nice nap on deck etc etc.

In my travels I have met many pet owners who regularly take their pets and they are always very happy with the QM2. Hopefully an increased number of dogs won't change things but I am sure it will still be great!

Nobody has said that they the kennels should be closed. No one is on a campaign of any sort.

Observations are being made on the new design. The cunard YouTube video made much of the new fireplug and the bespoke artwork. There was no nod to the functionality of the space and how it was suited to the dogs.

I hope that it will work out as well in the present as it has in the past. It's unclear whether the addition of kennels (dogs) has compromised the amount of space that is available for the animals to play. Tag1000 drew a very nice picture . I hope that it stays that way.

They require that the dog be no taller than 36" at the head (this corresponds to the height of a large kennel). They can also open up two adjoining kennels to double the width, assuming you've booked early enough.

Thanks Underwatr. That pets 26 lbs or more are unacceptable surprised me... more details here https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/kennel_info

I think you are misunderstanding the information on their site.

Upper kennels are limited to 25 lbs but lower ones are limited to more then 25 lbs.

Thanks for the correction, BeakyBear :)

S.

Not that Cunard would actually read this post...but my unsolicited ideas for managing the new kennels footprint...

--I have always found the Kennel Master to be one of the hardest working people on board. Genuinely caring about the pets. I have worked with several of them, and they could not be more dedicated. My criticism, however, is that even the most dedicated, caring staff mettmber can physically only do so much and that, therefore, Cunard's business plan for the kennels appears flawed. Two staff members and 20 pets is not a smart ratio. No amount of dedication by two staff members can make up for understaffing, a bad layout, and too small a footprint when conditions are not ideal.

--Again, back to the Cunard business/management plan: The current footprint/staffing can work if--there is consistent good weather to get the dogs outside on deck; you have one or zero dogs who act aggressively toward other dogs and can be "managed" by the dedicated kennel staff; you have a minimum of "absentee" pet owners (those who dump their pet in the kennel, are infrequently seen, and rely on the kennel staff and other passengers to closely supervise their poorly socialized pet).

--The current footprint/staffing arrangement does not seem to reflect what has been learned in the past in the kennels: That there can be days of foul weather that limit time on deck for the pets; that on some voyages poorly socialized pets have to be closely and constantly controlled by someone-- if this is a pet of an absentee owner, that someone is the kennel staff; that some pets are so poorly socialized they pee directly on furniture, dog toys, people, and in the water bowls for all the pets to share and require someone to constantly monitor them.

--I would repeat my previous observation that even under ideal conditions, pets behave differently when they gather in larger groups. There are "pack" dynamics to factor in.

What constructive advice could I offer?

--The dedicated kennel staff after the refit will need to be more than two as the assumption has to be that ideal conditions will not usually be met. You have to plan for poorly socialized pets, absentee owners, and something else going wrong that you cannot even imagine. Two staff members is not a prudent plan.

--With the "bend" in the deck footprint by now incorporating the aft of 12 Deck in addition to the starboard area of 12 deck, the kennel staff has an added challenge in maintaining "line of sight." Previously the Kennel Master could see all of the pet deck in one glance and could therefore see both entrance gates at each side of the pet deck. Unless you station one kennel staff member on the aft deck during operating hours and one on the starboard deck at all times-- you have lost control of the gates-- no consistent "line of sight." Not clear how you manage the random passengers who ignore the signs about how the area is for pet owners and "decide" they are going to open the gate and "visit" the kennels just for the heck of it. These folks tend not to know much about pets and even less about operating gates.

--Even in ideal conditions, most large kennel operators that allow large groups of dogs to interact quickly discover they need to have an area for larger dogs and one for smaller dogs. Why? Pack dynamics are such that this is usually safest for all dogs. Not clear to me there is a plan to divide the pet deck accordingly. For example-- Aft deck for large dogs; starboard deck for smaller dogs. Switch areas at the next play time to offer variety.

--Even under ideal conditions, there is a new challenge to feeding at the same time 20 pets several times a day in the new footprint. Even if we assume all the pets are well behaved. An ad hoc approach that is not coordinated with all the pet owners is likely to go wrong fast.

--More interior space for pets to play outside their crates is needed for times when there is foul weather for days. I would recommend Cunard quickly repurpose that "owners" room. It looks "pretty" on video, but its functionality for a likely scenario (bad weather-- pets need to play) is low. Meanwhile, come up with a plan fast to bust through a bulkhead and grab more space from the little used Regatta Bar area. The interior space for playing is way too small for that many pets. Even if Cunard is impossibly lucky and every voyage has well behaved pets and dedicated owners-- there is not enough room for Cunard to take advantage of what have basically been unpaid, unofficial assistant kennel staff-- dedicated pet owners who have always shown up to take care of their own pet and manage the pets of the absentee owners. 15 dogs won't be able to play in that tight interior space and Cunard will no longer be able to "utilize" the efforts of responsible pet-owning passengers that have helped manage all the pets in the kennels because there is no longer room for everyone. 15 dogs and 10 owners are not going to fit in that interior play space. 15 dogs and no owners (because of less space) is in reality dramatically reduced supervision than we saw in the past because on each previous voyage responsible pet owners were able to help manage the whole scene.

These are my unsolicited thoughts for Cunard. A sound business plan requires planning for likely scenarios based on the wide variety of very real past experiences from the previous QM2 kennel arrangement and from operating larger kennels.

-mjm

That's not the Regatta Bar, that's the Boardwalk, which does get used on warm weather itineraries.

Not sure but I think the Regatta was removed to make room for the Deck 13 staterooms. I never saw it in use.

Quite correct Underwatr,

The Boardwalk Cafe is the far side of the "D" lifts and stairwell (and therefore a relatively long way from the kennels). There are also, I believe, other crew-only lifts and stairs, trunking to the two tall uptakes above etc, separating (permanently?) the two areas: kennels to starboard and cafe to port. That is not an empty deckhouse just waiting to become kennels.

Also correct, the little used Regatta bar was up one deck and all the way forward to just aft of the "A" stairs and lifts. Not at all handy, I would have thought, for use as kennel space. Yes, it was removed for the new Deck 13 cabins.

If the kennels are so bad and unhygienic, the space allotted so poorly laid out and inadequate, I'm wondering why it is so popular and booked so far ahead? Very often by repeat passengers (and their owners).

Thankfully, there is another way of transporting animals across the pond (if one wishes to take pets) for those who find Cunard's unique service inadequate and who wish to "vote with their feet" (or paws ;) ). I would imagine the vast majority of pets fly over; maybe their owners don't even know there is an alternative method available?

Best wishes to all the four-legged occupants of the Deck 12 Suite :) . When I've seen them they have always seemed content, very happy, well behaved and amazingly quiet! Long may Cunard's kennel service continue.

Edited by pepperrn