Yacht Club vs NCL Haven and status match

graphicguy

First, I'm not loyal to any cruise line. I've never had a bad cruise and can't fathom limiting myself to repeating the same experience on the same cruise line.

I understand others wanting to do that, but it's not something I do. My priorities are schedule, itinerary and price.

That said, I have heard some rumblings about the MSC Yacht Club experience being similar to NCL's Haven, which I absolutely love. Anyone done both and can provide a compare and contrast?

Something else that's peaked my interest is the status match feature from MSC. Since I am considering an MSC cruise, I thought I'd apply for a status match. I sent my status on NCL (Platinum) to MCS last Monday, but haven't heard anything back. Is this something that takes awhile? If so, how long?

I'm waiting to book to see if they'll do a status match as I have a future cruise certificate still waiting for me from RCCL that I'll use first if there's no status match.

Appreciate any advice/help anyone can offer.

I can definitely give you an idea I am booked in the yacht club Aug 20th ( 26 days) and I've been on the haven at least 6 times . I will give you a honest feed back. I am an ncl platinum member also and I feel like I am cheating but I had to check it out.

I think I can help some about the YC. Free drinks in the YC area, including your mini bar in the Cabin. The butler will take your luggage to the ship. You will not be lugging it. Lobster (71/2)oz. are free, and you can order 2nds. You will find the cabins a little smaller, but roomy enough. Your butler will get you anything you want delivered to your cabin.Hope this helps some.

I can definitely give you an idea I am booked in the yacht club Aug 20th ( 26 days) and I've been on the haven at least 6 times . I will give you a honest feed back. I am an ncl platinum member also and I feel like I am cheating but I had to check it out.

Cheating? I've run into RCCL people on my NCL cruises who said they were cheating, same with CCL people cruising RCCL, etc, etc. The way I view it, it's my money. I know they like to spur customers to "stay" with one cruise line.

But, a few free drinks and a little reception isn't going to do it for me to do what amounts to the same cruise experience over and over again on one cruise line.

So, you'll never hear me say anyone is "cheating".

Be really interested in hearing your experiences between the two. I'm "hooked" on Haven, when the price is right.

Did you get a status match? How long did it take if you did?

I think I can help some about the YC. Free drinks in the YC area, including your mini bar in the Cabin. The butler will take your luggage to the ship. You will not be lugging it. Lobster (71/2)oz. are free, and you can order 2nds. You will find the cabins a little smaller, but roomy enough. Your butler will get you anything you want delivered to your cabin.Hope this helps some.

Thanks...interesting. So, no free drinks are only provided in the YC and cabin area? Not in the bars throughout the ship?

Lobster is nice. Had it in the Haven on my Getaway cruise last month. It was a lobster tail and a good size. Tasty. Haven restaurant never stopped me from getting 2nds of anything. So, good to know MSC is the same.

Good to know the Butler is around. I sort of got used to using mine on the two Haven cruises I took. Does the MSC concierge take care of reservations at the shows and excursions? Do they take care of billing issues, too?

I'm trying as best as I can to make a like for like comparison.

Appreciate the info.

Just off the Divina on Saturday in the Yacht Club. The Yacht Club and our butler were amazing!!! Yes, "free" drinks are in the Yacht club areas only (cabin mini-bar, Top sail, LeMuse and the one pool). On NCL our cabin was larger and the bathroom MUCH nicer. I also thought Cagney's was better than LeMuse. But, we only had Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure if that's changed since we sailed NCL. LeMuse is B, L and D. Other than that, the yacht club wins. The One pool is much larger with more deck space, the top sail is a beautiful indoor lounge right at the bow with amazing views. The space to guest ratio in the Yacht Club also sets it apart. Oh, and the price, we sailed in the royal suite for 1/2 the price of the haven!

As far as the status match, we are Platinum with NCL and Diamond with RCCL and did the match to Black. Honestly, besides a hat, chocolate ship and a bottle of prosecco we really didn't see any other benefit from it. It said there was a free photo. I waited in line for 20 minutes only be be told it's one specific photo with the captain from the black party.

Also, don't know if this is just when the ship is in Miami but the butlers do not take your luggage to your cabin. It goes with everyone else's. We thought it was going straight on the ship and let them take everything only to find out later that wasn't the case. I guess when the ship is not in the US the butlers can come off the ship but in the US due to customs they cannot. The people under the White tent dressed as butlers aren't the butlers on board. They said they were our butler for "the day".

Yes, the concierge can make all your reservations, etc. They would be able to handle any guest relations issues.

IMHO the Yacht Club is superior to the Haven. But, if you have teenagers (like I do), there is more for them to do on NCL.

Edited by susanrobert

Just off the Divina on Saturday in the Yacht Club. The Yacht Club and our butler were amazing!!! Yes, "free" drinks are in the Yacht club areas only (cabin mini-bar, Top sail, LeMuse and the one pool). On NCL our cabin was larger and the bathroom MUCH nicer. I also thought Cagney's was better than LeMuse. But, we only had Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure if that's changed since we sailed NCL. LeMuse is B, L and D. Other than that, the yacht club wins. The One pool is much larger with more deck space, the top sail is a beautiful indoor lounge right at the bow with amazing views. The space to guest ratio in the Yacht Club also sets it apart. Oh, and the price, we sailed in the royal suite for 1/2 the price of the haven!

As far as the status match, we are Platinum with NCL and Diamond with RCCL and did the match to Black. Honestly, besides a hat, chocolate ship and a bottle of prosecco we really didn't see any other benefit from it. It said there was a free photo. I waited in line for 20 minutes only be be told it's one specific photo with the captain from the black party.

Also, don't know if this is just when the ship is in Miami but the butlers do not take your luggage to your cabin. It goes with everyone else's. We thought it was going straight on the ship and let them take everything only to find out later that wasn't the case. I guess when the ship is not in the US the butlers can come off the ship but in the US due to customs they cannot. The people under the White tent dressed as butlers aren't the butlers on board. They said they were our butler for "the day".

Yes, the concierge can make all your reservations, etc. They would be able to handle any guest relations issues.

IMHO the Yacht Club is superior to the Haven. But, if you have teenagers (like I do), there is more for them to do on NCL.

Susan...this is great info. Thanks so much.

I had the UBP and the SDP on my last NCL Haven cruise. Ate in Cagneys, LeBistro, and LACucina (which was a big disappointement considering it was supposed to be a step above). All other meals I ate in the Haven restaurant, which was quite good. I would have been more than happy to eat every meal in the Haven.

So, sounds like LeMuse is quite good, too.

I have no problem taking my own luggage, or it being sorted with all the luggage (just as long as I get it).

Cabin size may or may not matter depending on how much smaller the YC cabins are compared to the Haven cabins (stayed in suite and spa Haven cabins).

Good to hear about the concierge, too.

Can't nail down pricing for YC, as some of that is determined by the loyalty level (with the top loyalty level receiving the best discount). That's why I'm wondering how long it takes for MSC to status match.

As it stands, there's about an $800 delta between Haven Suite pricing and MSC YC suite pricing (favoring MSC). But, there as some differences I'm trying to nail down, too.

Again, thanks. Anything else you can think of, please let me know.

Susan...this is great info. Thanks so much.

I had the UBP and the SDP on my last NCL Haven cruise. Ate in Cagneys, LeBistro, and LACucina (which was a big disappointement considering it was supposed to be a step above). All other meals I ate in the Haven restaurant, which was quite good. I would have been more than happy to eat every meal in the Haven.

So, sounds like LeMuse is quite good, too.

I have no problem taking my own luggage, or it being sorted with all the luggage (just as long as I get it).

Cabin size may or may not matter depending on how much smaller the YC cabins are compared to the Haven cabins (stayed in suite and spa Haven cabins).

Good to hear about the concierge, too.

Can't nail down pricing for YC, as some of that is determined by the loyalty level (with the top loyalty level receiving the best discount). That's why I'm wondering how long it takes for MSC to status match.

As it stands, there's about an $800 delta between Haven Suite pricing and MSC YC suite pricing (favoring MSC). But, there as some differences I'm trying to nail down, too.

Again, thanks. Anything else you can think of, please let me know.

I totally forgot about the 5% discount! That's the best part of the status match program! I think they did away with the loyalty level pricing tiers. I think the most is 5%. But, I think there are other sailings where you can get more of a discount but I don't know too much about that.

Lobster is nice. Had it in the Haven on my Getaway cruise last month. It was a lobster tail and a good size. Tasty. Haven restaurant never stopped me from getting 2nds of anything. So, good to know MSC is the same.

Appreciate the info.

Been reading the Norwegian boards the last few days. It seems like lobster is no more.

BTW it took us about a week for the status match. We had to do it twice. I did it incorrectly the first time .... actually incorrectly/incompletely. You have to do it twice. When you think you're done with the process, scroll down and there's more to fill out. Otherwise, people here (who are very helpful, btw) said if you call MSC they'll help too.;)

I totally forgot about the 5% discount! That's the best part of the status match program! I think they did away with the loyalty level pricing tiers. I think the most is 5%. But, I think there are other sailings where you can get more of a discount but I don't know too much about that.

Yeah...5% on a $4,000 fare is $200. That's worth pursuing in my estimation.

Thanks, again!

Been reading the Norwegian boards the last few days. It seems like lobster is no more.

BTW it took us about a week for the status match. We had to do it twice. I did it incorrectly the first time .... actually incorrectly/incompletely. You have to do it twice. When you think you're done with the process, scroll down and there's more to fill out. Otherwise, people here (who are very helpful, btw) said if you call MSC they'll help too.;)

Mafig....there was still lobster in the Haven when I sailed the Getaway a month ago. Not a deal killer for me to dump NCL, though. Good to know they don't offer it anymore, however.

I'll re-submit the status match form....will check to make sure I did it correctly, too.

Again, thanks for your input.

Yeah...5% on a $4,000 fare is $200. That's worth pursuing in my estimation.

Thanks, again!

Anytime!

I did our status match when they first offered it and they were inundated. It took a couple of weeks. I think the turnaround time is quicker now.

Have to admit that I hadnt heard of The Haven

So, I took a look last night.

EXPENSIVELY EXPENSIVE !!!

I honestly couldnt find any cruise fare for Haven which was less than 5 or 6 times that of a balcony cabin.

On MSC, Ive found a fair few Yacht Club cabins that are double the price or even less than a MSC balcony.

We wont be trying The Haven anytime soon at those prices.

I will post when we get back, graphicguy. As for status match? I received confirmation the same day I faxed my info over to MSC. I don't know how they work the status match though. I'm platinum with NCL and my husband is gold (he's a travel advisor, so he doesn't care. He gets enough perks from the cruise lines). I got black from MSC, but they only gave him silver. They must base it on points and not level.

On MSC, Ive found a fair few Yacht Club cabins that are double the price or even less than a MSC balcony.

Really: What cruise was this?

Us either!

Edited by mafig

Anytime!

I did our status match when they first offered it and they were inundated. It took a couple of weeks. I think the turnaround time is quicker now.

Thanks! Status Match came across last night when I logged into their web site. They matched up BLACK on MSC. Apparently, that matches PLATINUM on NCL. Now I can plan and look into booking.

Edited by graphicguy

Haven isn't cheap on NCL. But, it's less expensive than the Suites on RCCL.

So, I think it depends on when you're looking to book. If you book during "high season" Haven is expensive. But, I think it ended up being 1.75x-1.85x the cost of a Superior Balcony when I booked it. If you look at what they throw in, Ultimate Beverage PAckage, Specialty Dining Package, 250 internet minutes and a $50 excursion credit (per excursion) and some OBC, that difference isn't nearly as large.

If I sail MSC, I'll book the YC. It would be hard to beat the Haven experience, but I'm willing to try. Looking past some of the stuff I read about NCL, one thing they do very well is the Haven experience.

The Haven waitstaff, bartenders, concierge, butler, room steward, etc...all of them almost become trusted friends and confidants when you spend a week with them. They are all outstanding and offer exceptional service.

If YC comes close, I'll be happy.

Thanks for everyone's help and please post any other compare/contrasts or personal experiences. It's all helpful.

Really: What cruise was this?

Us either!

Logged into MSC Voyagers Club section.

3 Night Med in October - Balcony £459 GBP - Yacht Club £699 GBP

AND Black Card holders get 20% off those rates.

6 Night Med next April - Balcony £669GBP - Yacht Club £1339 GBP

again 20% off those for Black

7 N Dubai Jan 2018 - Balcony £549 GBP - Yacht £999 GBP

again take 20% off for Black

7 N Northern Europe Sept 17 - Balcony £839 - Yacht £1379

take 20% off

10N Round Britain Aug 17 - Balcony £1299 - Yacht £1969

- 20% off that for black

Not sure what you guys will get on the US website ??

I'll let you know graphicguy. We're sailing in the YC on August 20th. Also, it's our first time on MSC. We've been loyal to NCL to a fault and also the Haven, but Del Rio has screwed that cruise line up, IMHO and it seemed like a good time to try something new (since the Seaside really caught my eye). If the Divina works, we may have another favorite.

I'll let you know graphicguy. We're sailing in the YC on August 20th. Also, it's our first time on MSC. We've been loyal to NCL to a fault and also the Haven, but Del Rio has screwed that cruise line up, IMHO and it seemed like a good time to try something new (since the Seaside really caught my eye). If the Divina works, we may have another favorite.

I understand. I thought Sheehan was doing a very good job. He left abruptly and for no obviously apparent reason. Looking at the financials, Sheehan had done a good job moving to NCL line to higher revenues and more competitive ships.

So, not clear what happened. I know DelRio came from the lux cruising end of things, but Sheehan was the one who introduced the Haven concept on the Epic.

Not sure what DelRio brings to the table, except as you point out, perhaps installing cost cutting measures. With how competitive the cruise market is, cost cutting doesn't seem to be a good idea right now.

I'm giving RCCL a rest after having cruised them the last several years for the same reasons...cost cutting and sky rocket fares.

That's what got me interested in MSC. I have a cruise certificate with RCCL, and I keep pushing it further and further out because the amenities are being cut, and the fares have gone up with them, too.

Logged into MSC Voyagers Club section.

3 Night Med in October - Balcony £459 GBP - Yacht Club £699 GBP

AND Black Card holders get 20% off those rates.

6 Night Med next April - Balcony £669GBP - Yacht Club £1339 GBP

again 20% off those for Black

7 N Dubai Jan 2018 - Balcony £549 GBP - Yacht £999 GBP

again take 20% off for Black

7 N Northern Europe Sept 17 - Balcony £839 - Yacht £1379

take 20% off

10N Round Britain Aug 17 - Balcony £1299 - Yacht £1969

- 20% off that for black

Not sure what you guys will get on the US website ??

I'm sure that the 20%discount that Black Card holders got has stopped now, think it stopped last year. I think it's just 5% discount now. Sure if I'm wrong, Mike or Skier52 would be able to confirm.

MSC YC is so much cheaper than the Haven, just a tad more than a balcony cabin , the YC balcony cabin is just a little bigger than a normal balcony but the service is superb and the free mini bar is great. The food and restaurant is so much better on MSC than NCL, we are Europeans so probably have different taste buds to you US guys. There are usualy only 2 of us but we book the 2 bed villa on NCL. The cabins are much better on NCL. The Epic's Haven is much too big IMHO, although the posh beach club is great. My fave Havens are all the Jewel class ships and Breakaway. Jewel class still have the 'old fashioned' luxury feel about them which I love, apart from the carpets lol.. The thing that really sways me is that NCL have less smoking on board in Europe, MSC let people ignore the no-smoking signs in Europe and smoke where they want, I am a European and ashamed of my smoking heritage. In the US and caribbean the smoking rules are generally followed. I am not anti-smoking, I used to love a puff, but please follow the rules. :D I loved my transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barca in the YC, but hated the extra 'smoking' area signs that went up every port we neared Europe.

Anyone know if they have done anything about the lack I'd shaded lounge chairs in the one pool area? I keep asking because although we loved everything else about the YC no shade is a deal breaker for us. Would love to do it again but not if I have to stay inside the ship.