Westerdam thoughts on past experiences and refurbishing

bigdog RK

We will be sorry to see the Observation Sun Deck replaced with additional cabins. It is currently a nice place to sit and relax. The increase in passengers may have an impact, plus add additional tonnage up high that may change the ride.

The new props on the azipods may be an improvement. I assume that they will be the same design that are on the Konigsdam.

All Vista class ships are having the same refurbs. More cabins on top, which i would never book, but is not really taxing in one way or another. We do lose some deck space, but its not as big a deal as losing a decent promenade.

There are other improvements such as better scrubbers to lessen the black dust that used to be more prevalent on the aft balconies.

More efficient azipods, etc....All good....

I can only give you my thoughts on my past cruises - a 7 day, a 20 day in 2015 and a 33 day in 2016.

We have had very good experiences on the Westerdam. On two of the longer ones we were fortunate enough to sail to with Captain Van Eerten who takes his job seriously.

Our cruise this year - Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas is a bucket list cruise for many and not cheap. The trip would have been a disaster between missed ports and bad weather if not for the fantastic crew of the Westerdam and Captain Van Eerten's ingenuity.

Between evening pool parties with entertainment and free refreshements, special bbq's on board, they kept us very happy as we had at least 4 more days at sea than we were supposed to.

I don't like the look of the refurbishment , but I like a libarary so I am prejudiced. Since these are only "renderings" I'll wait to see what it really is.

what I do know is that we have enjoyed every cruise on this ship and I'm not a "big ship" fan so that says a lot. And the reason we kept booking on her.

the food was quite good, the service excellent and our time on board was a joy.

...HAL cruise, and I have been hooked ever since. As I have stated previously on this forum, I had hesitated to book her as I had read that the pax skewed "older" (LOL... at that time I was in my active 60's). To my astonishment and delight, I found aboard many experienced world travelers who had been there, done that, and still anticipated new adventures.

Of course, it did not hurt that, as the Cellar Master explained during a wine tasting, there were 1900 pax onboard, and we consumed 2100 bottles of wine daily, not including those used in cooking.

I understand that the library is going to be removed. That is a real pity. It was great to be able to surf the New York Times on the complimentary PCs and borrow books to read elsewhere. Doubt I will buy specialty coffees now that there is not going to be a fun place to sit and enjoy them. A "penny wise, pound foolish" idea to shut the library down. Meanwhile, Cunard is boasting about the size of its libraries. (Queen Mary 2 has 8,000 books.)