To rebook with Non-refundable deposit?

olya1972

We are booked on Alaska Oosterdam cruise in May, 2017. We are still BEFORE final payment, but our original booking was made with$350 non-refundable deposit. There is an excellent deal popped up today with savings over $600 for the same cabin. I have called original booking agency (on-line travel agency), the agent called the cruise line and told me there is nothing they can do. I called a new-offer agency and they are staying by their cheaper price, but I have to cancel original booking. What happens to the deposit? Is there a way to keep it for this new booking (same ship, same sailing, same cabin or cabin category)? All advise is highly appreciated.

My understanding is that if one books with a non refundable deposit and then wants to cancel, one would lose the deposit.

I recently had the option of booking with a non-refundable deposit to get a substantial saving in cruise fare. I was told that while the cruise could be cancelled, the deposit would be lost. I could not re-fare the cruise; I could not get new promotions. I chose to book at the higher fare with a refundable deposit.

I think you are out of luck, unless the savings or perks received are worth more than to you than your deposit.

Alberta Quilter, you are correct, I must be out of luck. One thing I don't understand is how there could be such big difference in price among on-line TAs. As far as perks, we don't have any except small OBC same though as in new offer.

Yes, I asked if anything can be done and was told No, I got cheapest price available as per cruise line. The other offer is a specific agency exclusive, came from Travelzoo. HAl website and all agencies show same old prices. I guess I have to wait till HAL changes prices, but my final payment coming up. Never had experience with non refundable deposits before, plus it's our first time with HAl. We sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and once on Princes, but Princess was a last minute booking, so no issues there.

Yes, I asked if anything can be done and was told No, I got cheapest price available as per cruise line. The other offer is a specific agency exclusive, came from Travelzoo. HAl website and all agencies show same old prices. I guess I have to wait till HAL changes prices, but my final payment coming up. Never had experience with non refundable deposits before, plus it's our first time with HAl. We sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and once on Princes, but Princess was a last minute booking, so no issues there.

I think you'll still be out of luck should HAL drop their prices. You would still lose the deposit if you were to cancel and rebook under the new pricing. Non refundable means just that. That's how you got a fare you were happy with at the time at which you booked.

I have to agree with AlbertaQuilter.... when you book with a non-refundable deposit you are locked in, so if HAL changes fares I doubt that you could re-fare. This may be a requirement of the TA you are booked through and some TA have fees to re-fare or change a booking, not uncommon... or it may be a fare category from HAL - once we booked a HAL Flash Fare which I believe was non-refundable. Period, not just the deposit. I think most of us have seen a better deal come along a time or two that we were not eligible for, it happens, especially that clause "New Bookings Only". None of us can be 100% and always come in on the absolute bottom price deal.

So you liked the pricing when you bought it, and I hope you can move past this disappointment and go enjoy your cruise vacation.

m--

I think you'll still be out of luck should HAL drop their prices. You would still lose the deposit if you were to cancel and rebook under the new pricing. Non refundable means just that. That's how you got a fare you were happy with at the time at which you booked.

I don't need to cancel and rebook in that case. If price drop occurs before final payment and the agency I booked through lowers prices accordingly, price can be adjusted.

When I was asking a question, I was thinking in terms of transferring the booking from one TA to another.

Thank You all who responded.

I don't need to cancel and rebook in that case. If price drop occurs before final payment and the agency I booked through lowers prices accordingly, price can be adjusted.

When I was asking a question, I was thinking in terms of transferring the booking from one TA to another.

Thank You all who responded.

Hopefully, it will work out for you should that happen. My understanding is that with a non refundable deposit, fares cannot be re-fared in the event of a price drop.

..... My understanding is that with a non refundable deposit, fares cannot be re-fared in the event of a price drop.

That is my understanding, as well -- that fares will not be refared if there is a price drop, if the original booking was with a non-refundable deposit.