NEW NAME FOR Eurodam

AWED23

As I recall, the ships that became STATENDAM, MAASDAM and RYNDAM were all supposed to be "S" names. I know STATENDAM was supposed to be STELLENDAM but I wonder what the other two names would have been? STATENDAM and SPAARNDAM maybe? Or perhaps SCHIEDAM would have been one of them?

Anyhow, I like STELLENDAM. It's a -DAM name and it is pretty straightforward to pronounce in English and it looks and sounds nice.

I think the same goes for LEERDAM or EDAM or even OBDAM or DIDAM.

I guess SCHIEDAM and SPAARNDAM are ruled out if they don't want anything that is difficult to pronounce in English.

But I am pretty sure EURODAM is carved in stone, anyway, no matter how much we might not like it.

How are they difficult to pronounce?

Well, he's right about "Schiedam" IF you want to pronounce it correctly. Similar to Scheveningen, it has the SCH in it. Non Dutch speakers usually pronounce that as Sk as in SKeedam or Skeveningen. In proper Dutch, it is pronounced Sgggggg. Not easy for a non-Dutchman because it could result in liberal amounts of saliva leaving the mouth in a spitting motion which in turn could create an embarassing incident if another person happens to be standing in front of the spittee/Dutch language student ;)

Pronouncing Spaarndam correctly is not that challenging:)

Again I come back to the name of Spaarndam,

a small village about 15 miles west of Amsterdam, very close to the Northseacanal where most ships sails through on their way to/from Amsterdam.

Spaarndam is also famous for the small statue on "de dijk" of Hans Brinkers. So a small replica of that on the ship would look great!!

767.jpg.62b103bf99da06ef3d7d8bd535d3595e.jpg

I was hoping for Spaarndam(III) & Leerdam(III) for the projected new pair, although I agree w/ Stephen that Stellendam would also be an elegant and appropriate (although non-historical)*name.

(Spaarndam(II) and Leerdam(II) were built w/ Edam(IV) and Maasdam(III) for service to Cuba in 1921. *Now if Uncle Fidel dies...)

Honestly, I don't see how Eurodam is cast in stone - after all, steel hasn't even been cut for the ship yet...

...it's not too late to send our e-mails and letters to CCL and HAL telling them that we think their new name is AWFUL and to please reconsider using some of these names from the line's history.

(Besides, the older names will give Stephen more ideas for what to paint....)

;)

Lots of good ideas!!!....It just may be that someone at HAL will wake up and feel the frustration of we MARINERS who are the real support of the line....I guess no one else cared for my offering of Hoorndam from the city of Hoorn on the Zuiderzea....and Cape Horn etc.....Keep it up and lets see how many will come on board with us....We can, at very least, get it to Kurt Lanterman....They still listen to him a bit I am sure.....!!!:D :D :D

Well, he's right about "Schiedam" IF you want to pronounce it correctly. Similar to Scheveningen, it has the SCH in it. Non Dutch speakers usually pronounce that as Sk as in SKeedam or Skeveningen. In proper Dutch, it is pronounced Sgggggg. Not easy for a non-Dutchman because it could result in liberal amounts of saliva leaving the mouth in a spitting motion which in turn could create an embarassing incident if another person happens to be standing in front of the spittee/Dutch language student ;)

:)

I suppose that, being a linguist myself, it's not that difficult. I've not studied much Dutch (yet), but I do speak Hebrew and Russian ... two languages that take to spitting and have similar "liquid consonants." :)

But ... you're right ... most Americans can barely read English, much less figure out to pronounce ...well ... Zuiderdam. :) I looked at it the first time and figured either "Zwi" or "Zi" depending upon how Dutch would handle the diphthong. But, sadly, most Americans think a diphthong is a kind of underwear! :)

I'm gonna slide this one in quick and hope the mods don't catch me being off-topic, but if you ever have a chance to go to the miniature city of Madurodam, you must see it. I could have spent days there when I was a child and the best one was the repetitive launching of a ship sliding sideways down the ways!

To the experts - Isn't Van Gogh pronounced "Vn Kok?" That's the way I was taught, and, of course, no one understands what I'm saying.

Happy sails, all you HAL folks!

Ruby

Nobody even mentioned the , then Island of, Tholen. Thats where the Roosevelts (2 US Presidents) were from as well FDR's, Wife Eleanor (Anna) family as well. She earned her Doctorate (Ph. D) at hoog de Catherine in Utrecht, Holland too.

So why not the name of a ship TholenDam? As for who the bells tolls...**S**

Tholen now is part of the mainland.

We all have to be glad as HAL at least is getting new ships. So the parent CCL:NYSE you know is happy with the revenue generations of HAL ...

Has the flooding in the Seattle area the past few days affected any of there families from HAL?

Should we start a fund now to help them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciska40

Well you all know much about the dutch city's and villages. I would vote for Monnickendam

Nah! That would just make people think of Bill Clinton!! ;)

LOL....GMTA.

That was the same thought I had when I saw that name.

Isn't one of Bill Clinton's saxphones on the Zaandam?.....perhaps they could move that over to the Monnickendam.:)

Again I come back to the name of Spaarndam,

a small village about 15 miles west of Amsterdam, very close to the Northseacanal where most ships sails through on their way to/from Amsterdam.

Spaarndam is also famous for the small statue on "de dijk" of Hans Brinkers. So a small replica of that on the ship would look great!!

I think I like this one the best. The spelling is so "dutch" and so traditional.

Excellent post, Ine.

To the experts - Isn't Van Gogh pronounced "Vn Kok?" That's the way I was taught, and, of course, no one understands what I'm saying.

I was told that the G sounded like H in words like Ghent (or Gent) and Gouda, making them pronouced as "hent" and "howda" ... so wouldn't Gogh be "hoe" or maybe "hawk"? :D

Archived