What happens when you do back to back cruise?

PA Cruisers2

If you are doing back to back cruises on the same ship but in different cabins, what happens to luggage? Do you have to leave the ship and reboard? What other sorts of things can you expect?

Thanks.

NN

That is our scenario on our B2B Cruise in 7 days (haha so happy) we were told our Room Steward would help us move the luggage over.

• Administrators
Haven't been lucky enough to do a b2b yet, but have read on here several times that, as travel-lover stated, the room stewards will help you move your things to the other room before you have to get off the ship at the "home" port.

I agree -- and you don't even to have to pack "everything" -- they bring a rolling cart like a garment rack for hanging things, and hand trucks for luggage packed with stuff that lives in drawers. It should be pretty painless. :)

I assume it is different when you book the same cabin for both weeks?

Naturally - you do not have to move anything.:D (Maybe let your cabin steward(s) know that you are doing B2B, so they don't think you are late in vacating your cabin)

They will probably require you to leave the ship to pass thru immigration/customs check (that's what we had to do last year in Miami. Then once the ship is cleared by the local authorities, you can re-board. A word of advice - when you re-board, you may not have access to your cabin until all cabins are ready for the new arrivals, so take with you whatever you may need during that time (reading materials, medication if required etc.)

I assume it is different when you book the same cabin for both weeks?

On our last cruise, the folks doing b2b were brought into the VIP lounge during the 30 mins or so they had to be taken off the ship, then they were allowed to go right back on, before anyone else. From what I understand, you don't have to do a thing as far as packing, etc. You will leave your cabin, go to the VIP lounge for the little wait and then go to your cabin when you are allowed to do so.

When we did b2b the room stewert knew we would be on for 2 weeks but we were in the same cabin.We were told we would have to disembark and go to the vip lounge.We did our paper work the night before.Once we got to vip lounge we asked how long and were told we could get back on imediately. TOM

We will be on our first B2B in January for 21 days total. We do have the same cabin, and are hoping to have everything set up with the front desk the night before our turn-around day. Then in the morning we are planning to get off the ship as early as possible to take a morning self-excursion that we have been planning. Then we will just reboard in the afternoon, get our glass of bubbly, head to our cabin and a bite to eat!

We will be on our first B2B in January for 21 days total. We do have the same cabin, and are hoping to have everything set up with the front desk the night before our turn-around day. Then in the morning we are planning to get off the ship as early as possible to take a morning self-excursion that we have been planning. Then we will just reboard in the afternoon, get our glass of bubbly, head to our cabin and a bite to eat!

These Med trips are being sold as 21d as well you may get a key card for the complete trip anyway which will save a trip to reception at peak time,(If in a suite I am sure Ruth will sort you out anyway).

European ports don't have the imigration shenanigens that you get in the US so you should be able to get off when you want and back on again without any issues.

Expect lines if returning peak boarding times so check if they will have an alternate way on for B2B to avoid the lines, the security line is first at BCN. so not so easy to jump.

When we were recently on the Jade for a 12-day cruise, almost from Day 1 they had in the Freestyle dailies a notice that if you were staying on, go down to the desk anytime to take care of the paperwork. In other words, you don't have to wait until the last day.

DH and I are thinking of taking a B2B on the Sky in June or July, 2009. When we book this, do we pay for two separate cruises, meaning that we pay for port charges, insurance and taxes twice?

Thanks for your help!:)

Yes, since you are cruising twice as much. There is no financial advantage to B2B - just more vacation time.

DH and I are thinking of taking a B2B on the Sky in June or July, 2009. When we book this, do we pay for two separate cruises, meaning that we pay for port charges, insurance and taxes twice?

Thanks for your help!:)

Hi CaptainChoppers,

Cruise / travel / trip insurance is priced on your ages, trip length (same cost for up to 30 days) and prepaid, non-refundable trip cost.

Therefore if you're taking a B2B and not returning home between cruises, you can insure the cost of both cruises and other prepaid, non-refundable trip costs on the same policy.

In case you're wondering how a claim would work if something happened to you on the 1st cruise and you returned home early, missing your 2nd cruise would be paid as a trip interruption because your B2B is considered to all be one trip in the eyes of the insurance company.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve,

What you say makes sense for "general" travel insurance, but if you buy the cruise-specific from NCL, is it safe to assume you'd pay for each cruise??

As a side not, I've never bought the general travel insurance - always too complicated for me. Anyone know of a site or place or document that can give an explanation in layman's terms all the ins and outs of travel insurance?

Steve,

What you say makes sense for "general" travel insurance, but if you buy the cruise-specific from NCL, is it safe to assume you'd pay for each cruise??

As a side not, I've never bought the general travel insurance - always too complicated for me. Anyone know of a site or place or document that can give an explanation in layman's terms all the ins and outs of travel insurance?

Hi rudeman,

I can't say how the NCL protection plan would work. It technically isn't "travel insurance", but "travel protection" with insurance elements in it.

A good place to start learning about travel insurance is with Cruise Critic's article "Travel Insurance -- Pros and Cons" at http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=274

Archived