Docking in Mykonos

Workin4cruzin

We will be arriving in Mykonos (with a little luck) next week. I have read many times they miss the port, this time of year due to high winds. However, I read another posting that said if you can dock, it's not a problem. The poster stated there was 1 dock in Mykonos and it was first come, first served. I have found out there is only 1 other ship in port that day long with us. I assume this 'dock' is more like a pier and holds a ship on each side? (wishful thinking). Does anyone know if that theory about docking is true......or will wind in general prevent the ship from missing the port altogether?

I really would love to see Mykonos, but obviously whatever will be will be.

The winds are definitely a problem at Mykonos. Although I can't say for sure, it does sound like the other poster may be right. The winds generally aren't so bad that they would preclude docking, but they might make tendering difficult or impossible.

I can tell you that when we last docked in Mykonos, there was another ship tied up alongside us (a Costa ship), so there is room for two to dock.

I'm booked on a Greek Islands cruise next June and found that Princess has taken to arriving in Mykonos at 1am. Someone who just did this cruise heard from the crew that this is to maximize their chances of not missing the port -- whether it's because the 'early bird gets the dock space' or the winds are not a factor at that time of day is anyone's guess. :D

It's my understanding that the docking space in Mykonos is on a first-come, first-serve basis. The earlier you arrive, the more likely you'll be able to dock.

When I was there in 2006, we arrived just before lunch (Brilliance of the Seas) and were not able to dock as there was a Costa ship already docked. The winds were too high and the seas rough so tendering was not an option.

When I was just in Mykonos a month ago (Ruby Princess), we were the only ship in town and we arrived at 7 am. The dock was all ours.

However, as a note, when we first arrived in Mykonos the water was calm and serene. By about noon, it was apparent why this area is known to have high winds as the winds really kicked up and the seas were quite rough. It's my understand that those who went out to Delos had a rough go of in coming back to Mykonos and many of them got sick in the rough seas.

We were there in 2006 and there were three ships, two of us tendered and one docked. We stopped and tendered at Delos in the morning so did not arrive until 12:30-1:00 in the afternoon and we tendered. Tendering, as long as you can, can actually be better here since that drops you right in town and you don't have to walk or get the bus to get into or back from the main town area.

The pier is along the side of the port, it doesn't jut out so depending on which ships (size), only one may be able to dock. When we were the the Celebrity Galaxy was docked, we were on the Oceania Nautica which was quite a bit smaller.

It's my understanding that the docking space in Mykonos is on a first-come, first-serve basis. The earlier you arrive, the more likely you'll be able to dock.

When I was there in 2006, we arrived just before lunch (Brilliance of the Seas) and were not able to dock as there was a Costa ship already docked. The winds were too high and the seas rough so tendering was not an option.

When I was just in Mykonos a month ago (Ruby Princess), we were the only ship in town and we arrived at 7 am. The dock was all ours.

However, as a note, when we first arrived in Mykonos the water was calm and serene. By about noon, it was apparent why this area is known to have high winds as the winds really kicked up and the seas were quite rough. It's my understand that those who went out to Delos had a rough go of in coming back to Mykonos and many of them got sick in the rough seas.

I believe we went out and back to Delos that day. The trip back was quite an adventure with rough seas, though we didn't see anyone get sick (we were sitting inside, rather than up top).

Mykonos was one of our favorite stops on the cruise, so I'm glad we didn't miss it. In the afternoon, we took the shuttle into town and had a great time wandering around Little Venice before stopping at the central harbour for a quick dip.

How far is the walk to Little venice, the cluster of white churches & Nikos taverna?

Depends on how fast you walk. We did it 2 years ago and it was maybe 10 to 15 minutes, we stopped at times to take pictures on the way. We walked over to the ferry to Delos

When we visited Mykonos in 2006, it was a Sunday and our ship was one of only two smaller ships docked there. The ship had a short shuttle from its docking area over to the main part of town. The village of Mykonos is fairly small sized and very interesting to be walking around in and exploring its narrow paths. We also rented a car (fairly affordable) to visit other parts of this nice island, see its beaches, etc. It's a fairly dry island without much "greenery". Well worth the visit, but fortunately we didn't hit Myknonos when two or three of the "mega ships" where and creating the "mobs" that lessen the enjoyment. Below are few of my pictures to show what you can experience there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

1A-Mykonos-Dockside.jpg

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Archived