Wine & Liquor on the Silver Cloud

martini cruiser

Having sailed on SEADREAM I was wondering how Silversea compares as to what kind of wines an liquors are included . I know some premium liquors like Grey Goose were an up charge on SD. I am interested in what bourbons and vodkas in particular, and if anyone remembers what red wines were served with dinner?

Thanks,

On our recent Silver Shadow criuse the wines served at dinner were fine. As we have experienced with Seabourn each night they served a different red and white wines. I primarily drink red. The Reds included ones from California, France, Spain and Chile and I am sure a few other locations. If you prefered one on a particular evening you could ask when a different wine is being served on another evening if they could pour you a glass of the other wine. Normally it was available.

Keith

For spirits, you will need very expensive tastes to get charged: Johnnie Walker Blue Label and a few high-end brandies are up-charges, but most other spirits aren't. And if, like me, you rarely drink cocktails, this is your chance to experiment. Wines are perfectly-OK everyday gluggers; some are better than others and there is plenty of choice, perhaps 30 different ones, though no certainty of what you'll get on any particular cruise and no printed list. If you know what you want, ask for it. They always have some kind of popular favourite like Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Claret/red Bordeaux, several different Californian Chardonnays, Merlots etc with a reasonable mixture of US, European and southern hemisphere.

Thanks Keith for the info, I remember you giving me some good tips for my first Crystal cruise.

Wripro, I was kind of shocked on SD when they charged for the Grey Goose and several other spirits that I would not consider that expensive.

I noramally drink Chopin and Ketel 1, and recently tried Roberto Cavalli Vodka which was quite good but a bit pricey would not expect that to be an included spirit.

Thanks again!

It was rather strange, Stoly and Absolute were a couple of the vodkas that were included but Ketel1 and Grey Goose were extra. Grand Marnier ( Spelling?) was not extra. A fellow cruiser was a scotch drinker and I remember him complaining that Johnny Walker Red was not included let alone Black or the Blue.

Martini Cruiser

When it comes to the complimentary selection of wines I must admit the selection on Silversea was considerably better than Sea Dream - there seemed to be quite a few £5 bottles served on SDYC, some were fine & some were of the sort a cheapskate would serve at the end of a party! Silversea seemed to serve a decent selection of £7-£15 bottles - nothing stellar, but all quite drinkable & wine waiters were more forthcoming with alternatives than SDYC if you didn't like what was being offered that evening.

One of the nice things about an all inclusive cruise is that you can do a comparative liquor tasting to see which one you really prefer. We have taste tested single malt scotch, vodka, rum and brandy so far. Our preferences in some cases were quite surprising. Geraldo in the Panorama Bar was quite willing to pour us the small tastes of each that we wanted and serve them to us "blind" so we could make up our minds without being influenced by what we thought we would prefer. It was lots of fun, and we plan on doing it again.

We had a blind vodka tasting on the Shadow with interesting results.the worst tasting unanimously agreed upon by us was Grey Goose; the best: split decision was a russian vodka not available anywhere except in Russia at about 1.40$ per litre and Absolut. eye opening especially at 11:a.m.:D

When it comes to the complimentary selection of wines I must admit the selection on Silversea was considerably better than Sea Dream - there seemed to be quite a few £5 bottles served on SDYC, some were fine & some were of the sort a cheapskate would serve at the end of a party! Silversea seemed to serve a decent selection of £7-£15 bottles - nothing stellar, but all quite drinkable & wine waiters were more forthcoming with alternatives than SDYC if you didn't like what was being offered that evening.

Yes, Silversea better than Seadream - when we were last on Seadream the only included brandy was Martell and the only included single malt the not very good Glenfiddich. Also the wines were not particularly good. Having tried all three small luxury lines (Seadream, Silversea and Seabourn) to us the outstanding one for drinks is Seabourn - heaps of choice on the included liquors, and generally pretty good wines, with absolutely no problems or frowns if you ask for a different one at lunch or dinner.:):)

Marcie, from another Marcie, yes they have plenty. But just check with your TA to be sure. I think I was the only one to order it after dinner on our last 2 cruises. But, if you are planning to do this Thanksgiving cruise, you may have a run for your money with me.;)

PS: It could be fun having 2 Marcie's on board at the same time.:) And, from your picture, it looks like you are a blonde also.:D Double fun!

I noticed Chopin vodka and the Cloud and Whisper in the past year. Also Belvedere and Grey Goose. I even had them stock my cabin with a bottle of Grey Goose.

My father would sometimes get Sambucca in the evenings. (But, thinking about it, he didn't order it by name, he'd just request aniset, so just to make sure, request the brand you want.)

Archived