*sob* How dark is it in Alaska in September?

Sailkeywest

Hi :) I just did a little research on daylight hours in Alaska during September, and learned that there are 13 hours of daylight (roughly) in September. My question is, does the dark hours interfere with viewing during scenic cruising in September? (maybe dumb question, but I am feverishly searching the answer) :P

Thank you for any input :)

Hi :) I just did a little research on daylight hours in Alaska during September, and learned that there are 13 hours of daylight (roughly) in September. My question is, does the dark hours interfere with viewing during scenic cruising in September? (maybe dumb question, but I am feverishly searching the answer) :P

'Ya can't fault research... but don't obsess.

I've not been to Alaska - but I've spent time in Scandinavia. Alaska has a great north south expanse and cruising is concentrated in the far south. Heck a good chunk of Great Britain is on the lattitude of Ketchikan-Juneau.

12-13 hour days means sunrises around 6-7 AM and sets 6-7 PM... problem?

We've cruised to Alaska both in June (when it was light enough in Fairbanks at 3:15 AM to walk around unafraid..) and in September...when it was dark at dinner time..

Two very different -- but equally amazing and wonderful -- experiences. I don't think you'll have a problem seeing lots and lots, on your September cruise. Have a great time!

Not to worry! We have been on six Princess Alaska cruises, and we have been on these cruises in June, July, August, and September. September is fantastic!

It gets dark at a more normal hour, rather than at midnight, which helps with the normal sleep patterns. But, beyond that... the salmon are going upstream in late August and September, and hence you see much more wildlife! The bears and the eagles are feasting on the salmon. Fabulous!

At dinner (at the buffet or at the Sterling Steakhouse, on some ships) one sees gorgeous sunsets in September. Romantic, too!

I absolutely guarantee a fantastic time in September. It can be cold or hot (yes, hot!) at any time in Alaska, so plan to have plenty of layers, a good knit hat that comes down over the ears, and some gloves:)

Enjoy! Oh... enjoy the salmon at dinner, too. Humans like it too:)

In September you're also more likely to see the aurora borealis. (northern lights).

I was JUST going to ask if we'd see the northern lights if we were to cruise in September. It'd be amazing to see such a wonder.

Anyone here seen it before on their Alaskan cruise?

Hopefully we can still spot whales in September.

We did Alaska in September on purpose so that we would have dark skies. We did a 6 day land tour and saw aurora 3 of those nights and then we cruised from Alaska to Vancouver. I never slept. I went out to the back of the ship every night and was finally rewarded with a beautiful display covering the whole sky.

Also, we got to see everthing we wanted during the day. It was very cold the when we went to Glacier Bay but it warmed up right after we left the bay.

We loved the whole experience.

I spent five months in Alaska (June-October). Although it is quite interesting to experience 24 hours of daylight, my most enjoyable times were in September.

In Juneau, there was a cruise excursion to a gold panning dinner beside a stream that took place in dark, and I think that the dark made the experience so much more enjoyable than a daylight dinner ... There was such a nice mood with old-time lighting and a local Alaska folk group playing live music. Tredding through the shops and bars at night is fun too.

(Note -- The best excursion in Juneau is the helpicopter - daytime. You won't believe the glaciers!)

My favorite thing about September is the Northern Lights. You can NOT see them in June, July, or August. Although, it is true that you can see them best in Fairbanks, it is possible to see them anywhere in Alaska. I took this picture myself with a tripod in Fairbanks.

5814_101483963196456_100000045596937_46650_6564023_n.jpg

The first week of September is the best.

The problem with late September is the rainy season and the continuous thick cloud cover. It comes about mid-September and lasts until October. We went 17 days without even seeing the tiniest peep of the sun ... or northern lights (but still had some really wonderful excursions).

On the other hand, you get extremely great deals at the tourist shops if you are on one of the last boats of the season.

As has been stated 12 hours of light per day, about the same as the east coast of the US at that time of year. The days are much shorter in the winter in Alaska.

Certain local exceptions notwithstanding, virtually everywhere in the world, northern and southern hemispheres, there is 12 hours of daylight at the equinox (approx. 21 Sep and 21 Mar).

Archived