How far to Sorrento from Rome?

Santyclaws

How long of a drive is it to Sorrento from Rome? Are there day tours available?

Santy

Try maps.google.com for part of your answer - 266kms or a little over 3 hours by car. I'm sure somebody would offer a day trip for $$$.

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Rome,+Italy&geocode=CUco3PpPRUNfFSpGfwIdFHe-AA&dirflg=&daddr=sorrento,+italy&f=d&sll=41.895466,12.482324&sspn=0.657291,1.668549&ie=UTF8&z=9

Well Santyclaws (which reminds me of the Groucho Marx line from "A Night at the Opera", except that was "sanity clause"), a simple google map will show you that Rome to Sorrento is approximately 270 km. The drive is mostly on the autostrada (A1) at high speeds ... except for the area around Naples. I've never not hit traffic there.

Assume it would take between three to four hours each way, depending on traffic. That's a long way for a day trip ... what would you be looking to see in Sorrento?

How long will you be in Rome? A week of full days will only hit the highlights, there's no need to look outside the city for things to do.

If Sorrento is really important to you, spend a night or two there.

How long of a drive is it to Sorrento from Rome? Are there day tours available?

Santy

Since the how far has been answered..yes, there are tours from Rome to Sorrento..the Green Bus line and some other's..if this is the way you want to go and not DIY by train or car then check with hotel as they can be a big help.

I could have looked it up on google maps myself (thank you, btw), but I was pretty sure that they don't tell you about traffic, etc.

Unfortunately, it's not me who's travelling to Europe. :( It's my parents (their 50th anniversary!). I am planning the trip (it's a little ways off). I was watching some youtube videos and from what I saw I thought my parents would like that. The Amalfi Coast looks GORGEOUS to say the least!

Thank you all!:)

We have driven over 10,000 miles throughout Italy and often driven from the Rome area to Sorrento when we are going from Tuscany or Umbria to the Amalfi Coast. It is tough to give you an exact time since much depends on your starting point in Rome, but assuming you do not have to many delays getting to Rome's ring road you are talking about 3:15 one-way....assuming that you do not have any problems on the A3 that connects Naples to Sorrento. In the past few years it seems like there is always construction on the A3, and if this is still happening there could be some delays. On a personal note, we would not even consider recommending somebody go from Rome to Sorrento to tour Sorrento. Sorrento does have a few nice views and some shopping but is not worth 7 hours round trip. However, if you really have your heart set on just seeing Sorrento you would probably save a lot of money by simply taking the fast train (such as IC+) from Rome to Naples and than transferring to the Circumvesuiania Train that runs from Naples to Sorrento. You can than walk around Sorrento for a couple of hours and take the train back. My recommendation for touring the Amalfi Coast is similar in that it pays to use the train to Sorrento (or perhaps Naples) and arrange for a guide at that location (you save hundreds of dollars).

Hank

Try maps.google.com for part of your answer - 266kms or a little over 3 hours by car. I'm sure somebody would offer a day trip for $$$.

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Rome,+Italy&geocode=CUco3PpPRUNfFSpGfwIdFHe-AA&dirflg=&daddr=sorrento,+italy&f=d&sll=41.895466,12.482324&sspn=0.657291,1.668549&ie=UTF8&z=9

Driving it is 165 mi (266 km) – about 2 hours 58 mins per Google Maps.

Archived