Finally ! Our First Cruise !

MiMiof2

Hello to everyone ! We just booked our cruise last week. However, I have been reading here for MONTHS [all the info is unbelieveable!].

SOOO EXCITED !!! Hubby and I are taking our first cruise in Jan with the 3 youngest kids, ages 10,13, & 14 (17 yr old refuses, states "DIDN'T you see Titanic?!"). Actually, this is our first REAL vacation ! The cabin decorations have already been ordered :D I am soooo excited ! [Did I already say that??]

I have just a few questions, please.

I believe there is a video arcade on the Sensation, correct? Do the games use coins, S&S card, tokens?

Can cash be loaded onto each child's own S&S card separate from ours?

I would like to purchase "Carnival" gifts for the kids, such as the sports bag sold online to be delivered to the cabin. Do they offer these items in the gift shop onboard also? Are the prices comparative?

Thanks !

First of all, welcome to CC and congratulations on your first cruise!

I honestly don't know about the arcade. When our sons sail with us all the charges go to the same credit card. We have always been able to view the charges on our cabin TV using the FOLIO number on our sail and sign card. Not sure if you can regulate their spending, but my guess is someone here will know :)

Some of the same items are offered in the gift shops, but again, I have not been on the Sensation so can't speak for that particular ship. If you know exactly what you want, I think it would be safest to pre-order it. You can also check e-bay; I have found Carnival items there from time to time.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hello to everyone ! We just booked our cruise last week. However, I have been reading here for MONTHS [all the info is unbelieveable!].

SOOO EXCITED !!! Hubby and I are taking our first cruise in Jan with the 3 youngest kids, ages 10,13, & 14 (17 yr old refuses, states "DIDN'T you see Titanic?!"). Actually, this is our first REAL vacation ! The cabin decorations have already been ordered :D I am soooo excited ! [Did I already say that??]

I believe there is a video arcade on the Sensation, correct? Do the games use coins, S&S card, tokens?

I would like to purchase "Carnival" gifts for the kids, such as the sports bag sold online to be delivered to the cabin. Do they offer these items in the gift shop onboard also? Are the prices comparative?

Thanks !

I can only speak for when we took our grandchildren on a Christmas cruise. When I did the fun passes I did not check the box for them to have charging privledges. Once we were on the ship, we went to the pursers desk and put cash on each S & S card. They were responsible for going on the TV each morning and before bed to find out how much they spent and how much they had left. All did a great job except for our oldest grandson whose money was gone by the 4th day of a 7 day cruise. In fact three of the grandchildren got a check on the last day for money not spent.

Congrats on booking your first cruise. You will more than likely be hooked on cruising afterwards as wife and I were.:D It is a great experience and you are certain to have a great time. It's a shame your oldest won't go. He will forget all about "Titanic" once onboard. There is soo much to see and do on the ship alone that it is almost impossible to take it all in on one cruise. It has been a couple years since my last cruise but I believe on the Conquest the arcades and air hockey took either quarters or tokens, can't remember which. I know I played a lot of air hockey.:D

Welcome Aboard and "Buckle Up Buttercup!"

On my son's first cruise, (I think he was 10), we quickly found out that they limit the children's S&S card usage at the arcade to $20 per day. THANK YOU Carnival! I wonder what my bill would have been like if there were no limits at the arcade for children!!! ;) My son thought his card was broken, and that he had only spent $5 that day...

Thanks !

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Mimi!!

We're thrilled to have you on board and even MORE excited for you now that you've booked your first cruise! You'll soon be part of our addiction... one that no twelve step program can cure!!!

Yes, there is a video arcade on the Sensation. There's about 20 video games that accept coins, tokens and S&S card.

When you embark, go to the Purser's Desk (Guest Services...) and put whatever amount you want on each child's S&S card. No problems, mon!!

Some of the gifts you seen on the Bon Voyage web site are available on board, but not all. If you have a particular gift you're interested in you may want to pre-order it. The prices are pretty much the same but once at sea you don't pay tax.

Stick around, read, read, read. Ask as many questions as you're little heart desires!!

Buckle up, buttercup! It's gonna be a wild ride!!!

:D

Mach

WELCOME to CRUISE CRITIC!! :D

Host Mach did a great job of answering your questions, but I just wanted to say welcome, and congrats on your upcoming cruise. Nothing like that first one! When you see that big, beautiful ship for the first time, it is just an amazing experience. You are going to LOVE it! Have fun. :D

If you have more questions.....ask away. That's what we're here for. :)

When you see that big, beautiful ship for the first time, it is just an amazing experience.

I had forgotten about that and you are so right. Thanks for reminding me. All of the months of planning and anticipation is very exciting, but when I looked out the hotel window in Galveston at 7:00 am and saw the Conquest for the very first time...it was magical.

Thanks !

You can put cash only on a child's (or spouses!) S&S card. I'm not sure but I think the arcade only accepts the S&S card from reading previous threads. There are usually flip flops, shirts,shorts, post cards, and a small selection of personal items in the gift shop. Oh and Congratulations! The Sensation was my first cruise too!

I had forgotten about that and you are so right. Thanks for reminding me. All of the months of planning and anticipation is very exciting, but when I looked out the hotel window in Galveston at 7:00 am and saw the Conquest for the very first time...it was magical.

That's one of the things I remember the most from our first cruise. Seeing the Pride for the first time......it is something that I've never forgotten. SO COOL! :cool:

Congrats on booking your first cruise and welcome to CC!

Shame your 17 y/o is so reluctant...I'm sure he/she will regret the decision in the long run. Maybe you will be more persuasive later, after you have the photo proof and testimony from your other kiddos!

Cheers!

You are going to have a great time - congrats on booking your cruise !

As far as Carnival gifts I always preorder because I LOVE to have a present laid out in the room when I arrive - the kids will love it too. I have been very satisfied with their gifts & cakes. If anyone has a birthday on the cruise order a cake - they're not expensive & they'll surprise the person at dinner - priceless.

• 2 months later...

Thanks !

Sounds like most of your questions have been answered so I'll just say "Welcome to Cruising"

There is nothing quite like that first time on a cruise ship! I still love to cruise but have to admit I never get the same feeling as that first trip.

I hope you and your family have a fantastic time. As for that 17 year old remind them that there are car wrecks every day but I'll bet it doesn't keep him/her from wanting the freedom of a drivers license. I know there's no telling a 17 year old anything but you might have a little fun with it. :)

I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone for the replies. I had lost this thread after my initial posting [opps!] & just found it again. Still learning my way around.

55 days & counting !

Hello there neighbor and welcome to cruise critic. Next thing to do is to go over to the roll call board and look to see if your sailing on the Sensation has a roll call listed yet or not. If it does join in, if not start a roll call. This way you can get to know some of your fellow ship mates before you set sail. Secondly, If you want to stir up some excitement, drive over to Port Canaveral on any Saturday afternoon around 4pm and watch the sailaway from one of the restaurants or the camp ground at the jetty. It is amazing to watch these huge ships sail away. If you are off on Thursdays or Mondays, you can go watch the Sensation sail away. My wife and I are going down on Dec 12th to watch the DREAM set sail. Thirdly, living in Florida, you have 5 ports of embarkation to choose from. Actually there is no need to choose Jacksonville since Port Canaveral has the Sensation doing Bahammas cruises. We have used PC, Tampa and Miami and are leaving out of Ft Lauderdale for the first time in January. Fourthly, have a great time on your cruise.:D

The 17 yr old is re-thinking the entire cruise thing. She just discovered that the legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18, so she wants Dear Mom to take her in Feb for her birthday. I have been looking to book another cruise, and I havent even went on the first :) Hmmmmm....can you be addicted w/o even stepping aboard?!

CC just makes you so darn excited !!

I think we WILL head over to Port Canaveral soon to see a Sensation sail away, excellent idea !

The 17 yr old is re-thinking the entire cruise thing. She just discovered that the legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18, so she wants Dear Mom to take her in Feb for her birthday. I have been looking to book another cruise, and I havent even went on the first :) Hmmmmm....can you be addicted w/o even stepping aboard?!

CC just makes you so darn excited !!

I think we WILL head over to Port Canaveral soon to see a Sensation sail away, excellent idea !

Yep... you sure can. It just gets a lot worse once you're on board.

:)

Thanks !

Welcome aboard!!

I am also new to cruising. My first and only was in March on the Fantasy. I was VERY reluctant about going, but my wife had been on 1 cruise already with her family and loved it. My son was so excited about getting to "Go TO Mexico"..so I agreed and we booked the cruise, I was very nervous about the whole thing. Once we got on board and our bags made it to our cabin, I started to relax and by probably 7:00 that night, I was a full blown addict. (my son too)

I will admit, I had a few of those "Titanic" thoughts before but after I saw all those life boats, that look small in the pics, but hold 150 each, that fear left me.

2 months from today we will be on our 2nd cruise and our 3 is already booked too.

You are going to love it. I have only done the one cruise so far, but as you already know, have 3 booked now. My sister, (Chelle) had all four of our Cabins done with the Bon Voyage package, As a surprise, and it was so fabulous for all of us first cruisers. I think pre order the fun, and have it waiting for the kidos. She had been after me to go on a cruise with her for years, but I didn't understand the whole "Cruise Addict" thing. I do now!

Welcome to CC and the fabulous world of Carnival, not to mention Cruising. Looking forward to chatting it up with you on Our Cruise.

. I would like to purchase "Carnival" gifts for the kids, such as the sports bag sold online to be delivered to the cabin. Do they offer these items in the gift shop onboard also? Are the prices comparative?

Thanks !

Congratulations! You will have a blast and the one that is a chicken will regret the decision when you get back and have all the pictures. :)

As for the gifts, I would highly suggest the chocolate ship (unless they hate or are allergic to chocolate). It is great big & well worth the money. When we got on the ship, each of our kids had one on their bed with a note from us to enjoy their first cruise.

2739819370040669306S500x500Q85.jpg

On our October cruise with the kids (their 2nd) we were in our hotel in San Diego and turned on the TV to watch the news and they showed the Elation in the harbor. Got the kids really excited seeing it on the tv. They knew it was there and we weren't ready to leave yet. They got around really quick so we could get to the harbor. :)

As for your arcade question: My son took a roll of quarters along and he used them to trade in for tokens. He could also use his S&S card to buy tokens. Games are expensive. Air Hockey was $1.50 I think and most other games were about a buck. Pricey. Good idea to put a limit for them.

As for their S&S acct, you can preload it with cash & when its gone its gone or do like I did. Allow them to charge and hold them accountable. Have a talk before you step foot on the ship what they can spend and what the consequences are for going over. My kids have always obeyed the limits and like the freedom to use their card to buy soda card, tokens, and the laser tag. They know how much they are allowed to spend and do a good job of monitoring it. Of course my kids are teenagers so can relate to the consequences by now.:D

The gift shop has neat things but you can't rely on your favorite thing being in there. If you see it on Bon Voyage and like it, buy it and have it waiting for you in the cabin. Also, if you see something on sale in the gift shop onboard, do not wait to buy it. The opportunity won't come along again. I made that mistake on one of my cruises. I wanted another Carnival t-shirt and they were on sale the first day. I waited. Mistake cuz they were gone and never put out again so I missed the opportunity.

The kids were so excited when they each had the bag filled with "stuffies"! It's made really well and was easy to order ahead of time. I promise, once you're onboard the shops get busy and with more than one child going in all directions.....it can get crazy!

Order everything ahead of time....they'll be in the room waiting for you with a note on each one! Such a great idea! My kids still talk about how much they loved that part and the chocolates on the pillow, with the towel animals! Great memories!

Welcome! And, have fun!

Archived