Seasickness Remadies

Cqis

I get sick once on each cruise.I am not new to crusing,I have been on about 12. I start taking dramine two days before my departure day.

I would like to know what you take/ or do for seasickness. I mentioned this on another board .

Cely

I get sick once on each cruise.I am not new to crusing,I have been on about 12. I start taking dramine two days before my departure day.

I would like to know what you take/ or do for seasickness. I mentioned this on another board .

Cely

Cely,

I don't know if it works or not (because I don't really know if, given the conditions, I'd become seasick!), but I take ginger capsules and drink ginger tea faithfully if the seas are rough...others have raved about ginger!

Cely

We use the Sea Bands purchased at Wal Mart. Never had a single second of sea sickness this past cruise. Hubby used Dramamine the previous year and slept 1/3 of the cruise.

I tried the ginger. I make sure I take the ginger offered at the door when you leave the dinning room. I always take extra. But I also have the dramine in my system. Maybe I will start ginger tea before the cruise.

The wrist band nor the patches helped. The dramine does make you drowsy. I need all help before my sailing. I want to banish seasickness.

"Seasickness get the behind me."

Cely

Neither of us has ever been sick on a cruise ship...I've only been sea sick once on our sail boat..Had a terrible headache all day....We & our Friends anchored in a spot close to an inlet..During the night the wind picked up & the constant pounding of the waves, was making me quite ill..At 5: A.M. we radioed our Friends, said we were leaving & would wait for them farther down the line..They too had a rough night & were ready to leave...Both of us weighed anchor & got out of there..

On another trip, our engine broke down in rough weather in the Atlantic & the same Friends were towing us into a New Jersey inlet..DH was trying to work on the engine at the same time & feeling nauseous..I kept feeding him saltines..

Years ago, I had inner ear problems & Dr. prescribed over the counter meclizine which did not make me drowsy...

We take the meclizine with us, just in case one of us might need it..

Betty

I just returned yesterday from my cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam. I started taking Bonine the day before the cruise and took one every day during the cruise. I am happy to report that I did not have one moment of seasickness and suffered no side effects from the Bonine. I was very pleased. My friend was seasick the first three days of the cruise. She cannot take Bonine or Dramamine. I gave her ginger capsules, she was wearing Sea Bands and drank ginger ale with bitters. Nothing seemed to help, but after a few days, she felt better.

I have been on another cruise line where the CS desk gave out dramamine to anyone that requested it. Does Hal offer this?

Not dramamine, but meclizine (the generic of Bonine) is available at the Front Desk, and in the infirmary.

Since meclizine is the generic for dramine does it also make you drowzy?

Thanks all for your help.

I will try anything .

I am the person that destroyed you dinner. You wouldn't want me to do this to anyone else again would you.

Cely

Since meclizine is the generic for dramine does it also make you drowzy?

When I needed Bonine I found that not only did it not make me drowsy, I was able to drink with it. :D I'm guessing that the generic formula would work the same way.

I take Bonine or the generic, and it has always worked for me. I'm not drowsy either, and I find that I can join Ruth in a drink if I wish. Just remember to not take it if you are pregnant or wanting to get pregnant, as it can cause birth defects.

I'm not sure if this remedy is good for anyone aside from myself. Here it goes... I hope it helps for you.

Our first cruise was on very rough seas. On the first night out the restaurant was only half full. Sober people were falling into tables and holding onto rails.

My advice. Don't read. Don't watch a movie. Don't do anything that is stable while you move.

Whenever I felt like my stomach was not feeling well, I looked out at the sea. After a few minutes of syncing my stomach with the ocean, I stopped feeling seasick.

Dramamine is nice too. Just make sure that you take it before you want to get a good night's sleep.

Faith

Bonine. True story: Sailing out of Miami at dinner, it was so rough captain announced he was sorry and that we'd be in calmer waters soon. Waiter asked if we wanted dessert. DH (who doesn't suffer from seasickness) said he'd pass, he was "feeling the motion" a little. I ordered two desserts!

Meclizine (generic for Bonine). We get the 100 25mg tablets bottle from drugstore.com (about $6...Bonine is just way overpriced). I've been on the ocean in ships and boats for over 40 years. I took dramamine as a youngster and it would just knock me out. Tried the ginger ale and crackers and other tricks but nothing ever really worked (other than the sleep inducing dramamine).

Then we headed on a cruise in 2000 to Hawaii on a 50 year old ship (SS Independence), no stabilizers. I had been using meclizine by then successfully on the small boats when out fishing. Between Maui and Kauai we hit the big swells, lost half the dining room. But my family of three were just fine and enjoyed the motion of the ship through the waves. It's actually fun when you aren't hit by seasickness. I start one tablet a day the day before the cruise and stop once we are in the final port.

This is my first post here but I am no stranger to motion sickness as I get it even if I turn my head too fast :(

I always wear the patches on the cruises but what has really helped me is peppermint. I keep some type of peppermint candy with me. Altoids seem to work the best but those red and white starlight mints are good as well. Also fresh lemon in ice water helps as well.

If none of the remedies mentioned seems to work, purchase a Reliefband - my wife wears it when the goin' gets rough, and it works for her. It's also recommended for morning sickness and some folks use it when undergoing chemo. I DO know what rough weather is and how it can sometimes affect even the old salts.;)

Cely

I can honestly say I do not get Seasick -However, If I am around OTHER people getting urpy, I can feel very nauseated; So if it gets really rough and people are feeling sick etc - we both just stay in our room until its "over".

Archived