One Way to Rome

CL2 Mermaid

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any advise about finding a one way flight to Rome from Tampa Fl. next year. Thus far, one way flights seem to be in the $2000 range and using our frequent flyer miles is looking impossible. I have considered buying a round trip and tossing the return ticket but the prices seem high and our budget is tight. Any suggestions or clever ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks

If you are taking a cruise, check with the cruise line. Normally, one way fares are much more reasonable when booking through them compared to booking yourself. Good Luck!

I would have to disagree with this.

It would be helpful if you posted the date you wish to fly. I am guessing it is your cruise ending 18 Oct 2010? If so, it's too early for you to even check airfare yet.

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any advise about finding a one way flight to Rome from Tampa Fl. next year. Thus far, one way flights seem to be in the $2000 range and using our frequent flyer miles is looking impossible. I have considered buying a round trip and tossing the return ticket but the prices seem high and our budget is tight. Any suggestions or clever ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks

The problem, is that the only tickets available for one way across the atlantic are one-way unrestricted tickets which as you've found out are more money than a return restricted ticket. The only airline that offered one-way real economy tickets was EI/Aer Lingus to DUB/Dublin. Because they did, all the other airlines did. Bottom line, buy a ticket to JFK, IAD or BOS, then an EI ticket to FCO/Rome via DUB/Dublin.

The only other airline I'm aware of that does inexpensive one way flights to Rome is TS/Air Transat, a Canadian charter airline. They fly from both YUL/Montreal and YYZ/Toronto to FCO. It sounds like a long way out of the way, but it's not really, and actually shorter than flying from FLL via ATL

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=fll-atl-fco%0D%0Afll-yul-fco&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=mi&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

I would consider the International flites out of Miami and perhaps FLL. I use bookingbuddy.com. Insert your info, one way, and many options from discount outlets will surface. Most Int. carriers are more pleasurable, reliable and cheaper than domestic ones. We are on Swiss out of MIA this Fall. Currently one flight daily at 8pm, connecting Zurich, a nice smaller less hectic airport.

Whatever you do, don't book round trip and toss the return ticket. The airlines can, and often do, charge you for the one-way fare if you do this. Remember, they already have your credit card number. I like the idea of booking another TA going the other way so you can use the return ticket!:D

Whatever you do' date=' don't book round trip and toss the return ticket. The airlines can, and often do, charge you for the one-way fare if you do this. Remember, they already have your credit card number.[/quote']This is theoretically possible, but actually very unlikely for the leisure traveller who only does it once in their lifetime, or once in a blue moon. The airlines are not in the business of penalising those who fail to use the return half of a non-refundable ticket because they've had a later change of plans - and many people legitimately have such changes. You actually reduce the chances of this by booking directly with the airline, because the airline does not have your authority to charge your credit card with any extra fare.

I think that saying "and often do" is being a bit alarmist.

Using http://www.airlineconsolidator.com/

One way to Rome on BA is 646 from NYC and 736 from Atlanta for next June.

I don't see the $2000 fares.

The NYC to Rome round trip was $1065 so it a lot cheaper to book a one way than a round trip and not use the return.

For my cruise in December out of San Juan I found it cheaper to book two one ways than a round trip for the days I wanted.

PS: Airfares will be going up and not down.

Archived