What's your least favorite pre-cruise chore?

bepsf

I'll tell you mine - I'm doing it right now:

Packing!

;)

You got THIS right!!!!!!! Its also my FAVORITE thing to do [ and we too, are doing it NOW] Now-If I can ONLY remember that I packed EXACTLY what I'll NEED and WHERE it is -and that Colors MATCHED and that my toothpaste isn't all over my underwear, and that..........

Hi Ruth,

I always thought that emoticon demonstrates an inquisitive look? :rolleyes::)

People with artificial joints have ID cards that show their type of prosthesis and I think all they do is "wand" the area.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Cards mean nothing to TSA -- full 'wanding' when the alarm sounds -- I know I can set them off with my two artificial knees.

Our animals HATE to see the luggage being brought out... how weird is that? Our cats actually used to try and get into the suitcases!

Haha! Our cat ignores us for a day or two when we come home. It's almost as if she turns up her nose at us for leaving her behind.

I guess I'm weird. I really quite enjoy pre-cruise packing. The selection process, making a list, striking things off it, adding things to it, then the process of actually packing clothing and getting the bag tight but not too tight, full but not so full that it's overweight. I find it an enjoyable process, and allow a couple of days to do it right. It also has the added impact of signaling to myself (and, sadly, to the dogs and cats) that I'm actually getting ready to depart!!!! In short, for me packing it's a problem.

Here are my "Least Favorite" pre-cruise chores:

1. Lining up pulpit and Altar supply so that I'm "covered" when I'm away. My retired Associate Pastors are always happy to help in this department, but it's kind to them if I set up a schedule ahead of time detailing who preaches and who celebrates the Eucharist, and on what Sundays, while I'm gone. Also, I have to coordinate with them as to who covers for me on pastoral care duties while I'm gone. They share that duty, too, but setting up a rotation schedule so no one of them has it for more than a few days at a time, is not always easy.

2. Having all my Church Newspaper Articles and other items ready and to my secretary so-as to cover for when I'm gone and those items come due.

3. Having my church worship bulletin materials ready for (1) the Sundays I'm gone, and (2) the Sunday I get back.

4. Clearing my desk of all paperwork and projecting forward as to what reports to work up ahead of time to send into the Bishop's office, so that my Administrative Assistant can do that while I'm gone.

5. Having a member of the Board of Trustees check on the cats and make sure they've got their food and water supply is ok. Having the same board member pick up my house mail and drop it on my desk in the office.

6. Taking Dorcas to her grand-mamas is PAINFUL. Her big, brown, watery eyes look at me with much sadness ... as if I were beating her. Now, it's not that she doesn't like going to my mother's for a few weeks -- she loves it over there and is greatly pampered during her stays -- but she hates being left behind for any reason at all. And, I pay for it when I get home ... she howls at me like she's bayed a coon in a tree!!! :D

7. Cleaning the House so that I don't come home to a mess.

8. Actually going through airport security. I HATE the process. I've gotten good at it, and know precisely what to pack, what not to pack, and how to get stuff in and out of my bag quickly without slowing down the line. Still, it's a hassle I'd rather do without. In my mind my vacation starts when I'm through security and sitting in the Admirals Lounge, waiting for my flight. I can breath easy, sit back, and relax for a few minutes, and have NO worries or concerns plague my mind. It's all done and I'm ready to GO.

These are very challenging times for many people. We feel fortunate that we are still able to vacation, as we are this very moment. So much so that we do not even view our pre trip plans as onerous. I suspect that many people would gladly trade this 'challenge' for one of their own . We don't even talk about it much...we just leave for vacation and enjoy ourselves.

These are very challenging times for many people. We feel fortunate that we are still able to vacation, as we are this very moment. So much so that we do not even view our pre trip plans as onerous. I suspect that many people would gladly trade this 'challenge' for one of their own . We don't even talk about it much...we just leave for vacation and enjoy ourselves.

:( Oh please....so serious. Don

I'm flying to Seattle in a few hours to stay overnight for my cruise on Sunday. I'm just starting to pack now and I really can't stand it. Especially folding shirts. It's the worst. While it only takes around 30 minutes to pack, it's still my most unfavorite thing to do. The second thing I can't stand is going to the airport and waiting in lines and being checked all over like I'm an alien from another planet. Gee, I hope I can get a first class upgrade today:)

Thanks.

I have to go with the pre cuise house cleaning. I want to come home to a clean house and fresh sheets on the bed.

Suse, one cruise we were well out of town when I was certain I had forgotten to lock the back door. We turned around and drove back. Not only had I forgotten to lock the door, we found all our formal clothes hanging from the inside of said door. :o Needless to say we double check everything now.

I forgot to close and lock our front door on one of our cruises. I thought my husband shut the door and he thought that I did. My neighbor called me when I was in Florida and told me that my front door was standing wide open.

I also have to have a clean house.

I have to go with the pre cuise house cleaning. I want to come home to a clean house and fresh sheets on the bed.

Suse, one cruise we were well out of town when I was certain I had forgotten to lock the back door. We turned around and drove back. Not only had I forgotten to lock the door, we found all our formal clothes hanging from the inside of said door. :o Needless to say we double check everything now.

Oh, wow, that was a stroke of luck! Driving back to lock the door...only to find your formal clothing!

I'm with you and the others....have to have a clean house to return to...our dog sitter sleeps at our house, but she brings all her own things (even pots and pans...go figure :rolleyes:) so I don't bother with the bed as I know she'll put her own sheets on the bed!

So excited for cruise... but trying to organise someone to housesit and feed the cats... I agonise over ! Yet when I am on the cruise having a drink of my balacony.. it's the last thing on my mind!:)

LOL...sooo true! - Don :D

Oh, wow, that was a stroke of luck! Driving back to lock the door...only to find your formal clothing!

I'm with you and the others....have to have a clean house to return to...our dog sitter sleeps at our house, but she brings all her own things (even pots and pans...go figure :rolleyes:) so I don't bother with the bed as I know she'll put her own sheets on the bed!

Yeah, clean sheets and a clean house is always a welcome home. We also have two small dogs that have to go to the kennel...but they think they are going to the 'SPA'...shhhhhhhh. :D

Trying to explain to Ruth that 12 suitcases is excessive for a seven (7) day cruise.

Generally I end up saying YES DEAR and packing them in the SUV.

There is a Ford Explorer behind that stack of luggage.....

Jim (without Ruth)

LOL, I did not have that much packed the last time I moved houses! LOLL that's great! :D

WAITING for the cruise to start. It is worse than when I was a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Like RevNeil, I like packing. What to pack, I just pack it all and try not to forget the Tux accessories. I don't mind cleaning the house before hand, or arranging the mail/paper pickup. We don't have pets, so I guess that would be hard if I did (I travel too much to have pets, and my DP has a hard time keeping the plants alive while I am gone, let alone a pet). And becasue of that I have the outside pretty much automated for watering the garden and landscaping. Check that off the list.

The Airport? I gotchya'll beat on that one. I go through security everytime I go to work! Sometimes several times a day! And yup, I get patted down, felt up and have my luggage gone through.. (I gotta have my own cork screw for the hotel!) Hate TSA, but it is a neccessary evil in these times.

Riding on the plane? I'm a flight attendant, responsible for all that bad service because I took a 10K year pay reduction about 7 years ago. (I'm not bitter, really!), other than it feeling like I am at work. And no, I don't fly for free! I pay for it everytime I go to work, or like our upcoming cruise, I bought full fare tickets on another airline to get us there.

So, the wait, I HATE the wait, the chore that everyone has to do.... and I've got just over a month to go!

:rolleyes:

Have a HAL of a good time, go on a cruise!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (best so far) Eastern Med Summer 06

NCL Caribbean summer 05

Windjammer, Mexico/Caribbean summer 1998

Carnival Festival, Caribbean summer 1980!

for me... totally... is the waiting... 3 months from booking to departure... TORTURE!!! I want to go NOW!:D

Just 3 months? Try a YEAR and 3 months. :)

Book and forget it ... because it will be forever and a day before you actually have to start getting ready. I've done that. And 3-months out, too. :)

for me... totally... is the waiting... 3 months from booking to departure... TORTURE!!! I want to go NOW!:D

me too VermeulT.... I am already mentally packing and have put a few things aside in the guest room....... tick..tick........tick..........t......i......c........k how can the clock go soooo slow

Have a HAL of a good time, go on a cruise!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (best so far) Eastern Med Summer 06

NCL Caribbean summer 05

Windjammer, Mexico/Caribbean summer 1998

Carnival Festival, Caribbean summer 1980!

Archived