What's your least favorite pre-cruise chore?

bepsf

1. Clearing off desk at work.
  2. Makng sure dogs have enough food, treats, etc., and going over intructions with their uncle who will look after him, (as well as the house, mail, etc.)
  3. Checking in at airport, going through security and waiting to board plane.
  4. Packing is not as much a chore as is deciding what to actually pack and take and what to leave at home.

... one cruise we were well out of town when I was certain I had forgotten to lock the back door. We turned around and drove back. Not only had I forgotten to lock the door, we found all our formal clothes hanging from the inside of said door.

Yikes! :eek: It's good you listened to your inner voice and went back. That's why I always use a packing list and check off each item after I put it in the suitcase.

I think it's the whole airport/flight routine that's my least-favorite pre-cruise activity. It ain't half the fun it used to be! Lucky are ye who live close enough to drive to port.

For me it is packing as well and realizing that what is on the bottom of your suitcase after you have carefully closed and locked it is what you need for your day of travel.

Have a wonderful Alaskan experience Brian.

The 'trying-on of the clothes' is my biggest hassle. My size yo-yos, so about 3 weeks out I start trying on the shorts and dresses to see which ones will pull on over my thighs (why does all the extra weight settle there?) I'm not a good shopper... I'd rather take home a few bags of clothes, try 'em on with the right underwear, and take back what doesn't fit, instead of trying it on in the store and maybe having to take 'em back anyway.

Once I figure out what fits, I just make piles on the DR table. Closer to sail time I'll pull off about 1/3 of them (the exercise stuff goes first), and let Jim worry about which suitcase to throw 'em into.

phat_2.gif

I would have to say waiting for the airport limo driver. He manages to come on time but that doesn't mean I'm not pacing and staring down the road with a grim expression.

We are about an hour away from the airport so I get pretty anxious waiting for our ride. Once the car shows up and we're on our way, I can breathe again.

Also, figuring out how to run out of milk, eggs and bananas at just the right time so that that doesn't have to be supper on the night before I leave. (But it often is.:p)

I can't relax until I'm on the first plane. After that I'm pretty sure everything else will go OK.

Good for you. I would somewhat relax when I get on the ship and having lunch at Lido deck. (I haven't received our luggages yet).

Getting the house "grandma clean" for my mom to come watch the kids...stocking the freezer with meals so she won't have to worry about dinners...answering "Mom, how come we can't go on the cruise with you?!" for the millionth time...worrying about all the little "what if's" and "just in case's"...it is always such a huge relief when we are finally on the plane! I'm very thankful, though, for mom's help. I think she really understands how great these trips are for our marriage.

Getting the house "grandma clean" for my mom to come watch the kids...stocking the freezer with meals so she won't have to worry about dinners...answering "Mom, how come we can't go on the cruise with you?!" for the millionth time...worrying about all the little "what if's" and "just in case's"...it is always such a huge relief when we are finally on the plane! I'm very thankful, though, for mom's help. I think she really understands how great these trips are for our marriage.

" grandma clean" love it.:D I so have that tee shirt.:)

I have a list of pre stuff I don't like to do but have it necessary to do...

but the top three are...

3. get all paperwork and support in place for my disabled son to be taken care of.

2. make sure bills are payed up before leaving

1. I hate airports and flights to embarktation ports!

Talking to the kids about what to do " if " God for bid Pa and I don't make it back home. ie who to call ,where all the important papers ,Dad's business.etc. etc.

They usually just roll their eyes and say "Mom, everything will be fine,why do you worry so much/"

"'Cause that's my job....'cause that's my job.":)

Thats my job too! LoL

Have to go with the pre-cruise house cleaning as the thing I like the least. After being on a ship where everything is pretty much spotless and not even having to make your own bed it's just nice to come home to a squared away house. As for the pets we have a pet sitter come in and take care of the cats....our cats freak out too much going to the cat hotel....and feed the tropical fish.

Yes, I agree - saying good-bye to our cats is difficult. We have a petsitter too but I feel bad leaving them .... until I get on board the ship! ;)

Connie

OK, I have to admit the toughest part is saying goodbye to our 8 lb baby, a.k.a. the dog. Even though I know she'll do fine at "camp" I'm always sad dropping her off. I have learned though to drop her off before I start the actual packing -- it just freaks her out to watch us pack suitcases.

Any airport-flying requirements to (and from) the port. Flying is taking the fun out of travel. :(

It was always the worst part for me too. The TSA nonsense, long lines, and generally miserable flight experience was a real downer. Now that we are retired (finally), we just drive to the port. I know it is more expensive, but we enjoy the road trip.

We take the long cruises & we seem to always get home about a week or two before Christmas..I start Ironing & piling up clothes in the Guest room about a month before...Always say I'm going to take less, but never do..This time will really try..;)

Our bills are automatically taken out of our checking acct.. But I do worry about getting the house cleaned plus cleaning out the fridge..DH worries about the yard & pool..

We also miss our fur baby, but she is off with her Aunt & Uncle & her good friend "Fritz"..They get to play together the whole time we are gone..We take a picture of her with us..

I try to have our Christmas tree up, before we leave, as we usually host a Party the Sunday before Christmas..a week after we get home....

My jobs: Week to 2 days before: Balance check book, go to bank, stop paper, stop mail, clean house & fridge, decorate tree..Day before: Go to beauty parlor, Friend & I pick up rented Van, Pack Brandy's food & toys & Get her to Aunt & Uncle's, clean out frig.,unplug washer & dryer, Finish ironing & packing, close doggie door to Dog run..Double check & pack our Meds...Make sure we have passports, credit cards & money..While DH is sleeping I'm still up worrying about anything & everything..Double & triple checking my lists..Day of Depart: Wash breakfast dishes, double & triple check lists again, adjust air conditioning..9 a.m. sharp be at Friends house..Drive to port & worry whole time that we will be stuck in traffic, there will be an accident on Allegator Alley, or van will break down..Stop to fill up gas tank & !!:30 a.m. arrive at port! Drop the men off, with the luggage, while my Friend & I take the VAN back to Avis..Once we're on the ship, our vacation begins..

DH's jobs: unplug computers & TV's, take garbage out, close all shutters, check out yard & pool, Tell me I'm packing too much, load car, ask if I remembered to pack his.....& his....& his.....? Complain about suitcases being too heavy! Day of Departure: eat breakfast, unplug water heater, turn off water..Complain to my Friends DH, that I over packed again..

Remember how your mother couldn't remember if she shut off the coffee pot half-way to the airport? Well. That's sort of the insane feeling I get when I leave. Is the dryer running, did I remember to turn down the heat, all that fun stuff. Makes it exciting, but not for my significant other.:)

That's me too! DH never worries!;)

Betty

Do turn off the water supply to your clothes washer. Especially if it`s on your first or second floor. My neighbors clothes washer had a hose burst while he was away and it ruined all his flooring (hardwood) on the main level and damaged the finished basement below. It tooks weeks to remove and replace the damaged flooring,rugs,drywalletc.

Rich

All those little things... stop the mail, stop the paper, cancel the milk delivery, pay the bills, do the laundry, pick up the dry cleaning, make sure we have all the medications, sunscreen, band-aids, sewing kits, etc.

And I really hate getting up at 3:00am!

I'm like Candy and have piles on the DR table and start sorting through it all about a week or so in advance. I never take anything I haven't tried on recently, my size can vary too much.

It always seems I overpack - even after vowing not to. :rolleyes:

Archived