Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

Sure you are. Are you seeking validation or congratulations?

I love the way some of you welcome new visitors to this site, this is why some of us don't' post very often!! :eek: Anyway, I say CONGRATULATIONS sandman69 for not listening to the "Cruise Critic Ethics Police"!!!!

Our last cruise was on the Ruby Princess and yes, we smuggled my dh's favorite rum, my kahlua, and vodka on in rum runners, no problems and it was during spring break. We smuggle to save some money, pretty simple. We did find out that it was a great way to make friends with the folks on the balconies around us!! :D

There are lots of reasons for people to smuggle liquor on board - their doing so is no one else's business: it is simply between them and the cruise line; with many posters pointing out that their smuggling does not impact the cruise lines' bottom lines because they would not buy drinlks from the lines anyway.

The interesting question is why the cruise lines would care if there is no impact on their bottom lines. I guess it must be that they simply want to annoy their customer base.

Sure you are. Are you seeking validation or congratulations?

Sure I am what?

LoL who ****** in your Wheeties? Is that supposed to intimidate me or something?

I am a new user here, was reading this thread. The OP asked... I answered. I didn't realize I had to clear what I post through you.

I couldn't care less what you think of what I do or don't do.

The interesting question is why the cruise lines would care if there is no impact on their bottom lines. I guess it must be that they simply want to annoy their customer base.

Actually, there is another possibility that I haven't seen posted here. I believe that Royal Carribean (probably the strictest) is as strict as they are b/c they want to "police" drinkers and do their best to minimize the problems severely intoxicated folks can cause (jumping being the most serious and obvious). Their drink service is so horrendously inefficient that this has to be by design, and I believe they are intentionally trying to restrict alcohol consumption overall, and especially uncontrolled consumption in its cabins.

But I'm sure that will be inconceivable to those who will always believe it's "all about the money". They'll never believe those of us who "smuggle" for our in-cabin enjoyment of specific liquors and the ritual, either.

FWIW, I did NOT smuggle on my last RCCL cruise b/c it was not worth it to me, but I dearly missed my "just-right" martinis and Hendrick's g&t's. Couldn't even get a "pedestrian" version of either at dinner until the 3rd night when I figured out how to "work" the system, alert the right person ASAP and they were expecting my order. Required all three stars to align just to get a drink - I can't believe they are looking for the revenue!

People smuggle liquor on board because they like to cheat the line.

They think that saving a few dollars justifies their not living up to the terms of the contract they entered into when they booked their passage.

I'm sure I'll get flamed as some sort of objectional character; but the plain fact is that people smuggle because they are self-absorbed and do not believe that rules they do not like should apply to them.

LOL.

Have you seen the cost of drinks on a cruise? who's cheating who?

LOL.

Have you seen the cost of drinks on a cruise? who's cheating who?

The cost of the drinks is immaterial. Someone who books a cruise with the understanding that they will not bring liquor on board (as is clearly spelled out in the terms under which they booked that cruise) and then smuggles liquor, is doing the cheating. The line who overcharges on drinks is clearly overcharging, but they do not hide the prices that they are charging, or otherwise violate the terms of their agreement with the passenger, so they are not cheating.

I do not care what other passengers do - it is their business, but it is interesting what lengths people will go to to justify their actions.

Sure I am what?

LoL who ****** in your Wheeties? Is that supposed to intimidate me or something?

I am a new user here, was reading this thread. The OP asked... I answered. I didn't realize I had to clear what I post through you.

I couldn't care less what you think of what I do or don't do.

Cost the cruise money.

No Wheaties for me. I have Breakfast Stout.

I don't give a fat frog's wart if people smuggle hootch onto the ship, just admit that you're breaking the rules to save money and be done with it.

That's been addressed in this old thread and a bunch of others like it.

The wonderful thing about this forum is the wide array of thoughts and that no one needs to get a post cleared by the Posting Police. Of course, there ARE rules that must be followed to post here. Naturally, if someone is a smuggler, well, they are already on record as person to whom the rules don't apply.

Rules? We don't need no steenkin' rules!

We just completed a 14-day cruise in Oct up the New England coast and into Quebec and then back again to Cape Liberty. We had just excellent luck in using "RUM RUNNERS". Filled two with scotch and two with vodka.NEVER a problem - no leakage and they were undetectable!!!!

The site for the rum runners is: RUM RUNNERS.COM.........it will tell you all you need to know, and their service it top notch. happy sailing, marydallas

Cost the cruise money.

How? I have a budget of $1500 that we are planning on spending on the ship. Period.

If I don't bring two bottle of booze on the ship, I am spending $1500.

If I bring two bottle of booze on the ship, I am spending $1500.

I do it to protest HAL's policy of allowing passengers to bring on their own wine and champagne. Yet they want to discriminate against the shot and a beer crowd. They can couch it any way they want, but it smacks of elitism and I'll continue to bring my Knob Creek w/ me.

We still spend plenty in the bars.

I do it to save money. I admit it. Our last trip costs about $12,000. The cheapest trips are around $5-$6000. We buy a few bottles of wine on board - other wise we enjoy drinks in our cabin or on our balcony.

I don't even really hid what we bring on board. It is in the carryon.

No one ever really checks. Ocassionally someone will ask if I have soda, when I have a six back of beer. I say yes and that's the end of it. We have brought on scotch in Gilbralter and Turkey, right from the duty store at the port gate. No one even asked.

So don't see why anyone else cares.

OK, my thoughts . My last cruise, Sensation, 11-1-09. Dining room champaign, paid $26.00. We brought 2 bottles of the same from home, 2 for $20.00 at the ABC store. Does that answer your question as to WHY a lot of people so call SMUGGLE.

What countries does the ABC store visit and do they have a brochure, sounds a good deal to me:p

How can you compare a store price to a cruise line or even an hotel or do you take your booze to hotels as well? Have you ever taken your booze to the bar, probably not. In the end people who smuggle are braking the cruise lines rules, if you are happy to do so fine, but how would you feel if someone broke your home rules?

So don't see why anyone else cares.

There are people who are concerned about others behaviours all the time,, whether said behaviours affect them or not. They may in fact believe that they themselves never

"break rules",, but that is because of their Messiah complex,,,LOL,,

I do it to protest HAL's policy of allowing passengers to bring on their own wine and champagne. Yet they want to discriminate against the shot and a beer crowd. They can couch it any way they want, but it smacks of elitism and I'll continue to bring my Knob Creek w/ me.

We still spend plenty in the bars.

It is a funny rule ,, I mean, wine or beer, its all alcohol.. Princess has same rule.

Liquor, wine, spirits is for my personal consumption in my cabin/state room as this is my floating hotel room. If I choose to have a few cocktails prior to dinner in my cabin or hotel room I can. I do not take the drinks out of my room to public areas. I do not smuggle liquor on board as it is located in my suitcase or carry on. Previous posts have stated that the cost of duty free liquor is around $7.00 per bottle. Do we get any of these breaks on board, unlikely and we pay an additional 15% gratuity plus a cash tip to our fabulous servers and wait staff on the inflated prices. My wife and I have 1 bottle of wine per dinner = 2 glasses each at a price from $25.00 to $30.00 per bottle plus 15% gratuity. Other posters state that the prices of alcholic drinks are close in price as to many high end bars or lounges. This may be true but the hotels and lounges do not purchase the liquor at low duty free price rates as they pay federal and state taxes on the purchase, therefore have to charge a high price to make a slim profit. Many of you posters order more expensive wine each night again with a 15% gratuity. This bottle plus other alcohol drinks and special coffees do add up over a 7, 10 or 14 day cruise. If the cruise line wants to make an example out of me and remove my wine, champagne or rum from my luggage it is their call. It will be my short term loss but the cruise lines longer term loss as I will make my silent protest by not purchasing liquor on board but in ports of call only. I do not have to have alcohol to enjoy a fabulous cruise vacation, but I do enjoy it. If the cruise line wants to lose approximately $600.00 to $700.00 minimum in liquor purchase income on a 14 day cruise, so be it. It has also been mentioned that the liquor sales are part of the cost of the cruise bottom line or profit. If that being the case why do non drinkers then get a break if us drinkers are subsidizing the cruise with our purchases. No disrespect to the non drinkers...just commenting on previous posts. I would like to see the cost of the drinks lowered 30 to 40% in price and I would probably buy 100% more and the cruise company would profit more by me and many others. I believe they are pricing me out of the market as it now stands. In conclusion I would not want to see all inclusive drinks as there would be many that could not drink in moderation and would create many problems on board.

PG: I understand some people do more 'preaching' than doing what is right. However there are some of us who really do try and obey the laws of the land, contracts, etc.. I don't call that a 'messaih complex' to do what's right. Maybe we just hold a different set of standards of what's right and what's wrong, especially those of us who hold our 'faith' dear.

Liquor, wine, spirits is for my personal consumption in my cabin/state room as this is my floating hotel room. If I choose to have a few cocktails prior to dinner in my cabin or hotel room I can. I do not take the drinks out of my room to public areas. I do not smuggle liquor on board as it is located in my suitcase or carry on. Previous posts have stated that the cost of duty free liquor is around $7.00 per bottle. Do we get any of these breaks on board, unlikely and we pay an additional 15% gratuity plus a cash tip to our fabulous servers and wait staff on the inflated prices. My wife and I have 1 bottle of wine per dinner = 2 glasses each at a price from $25.00 to $30.00 per bottle plus 15% gratuity. Other posters state that the prices of alcholic drinks are close in price as to many high end bars or lounges. This may be true but the hotels and lounges do not purchase the liquor at low duty free price rates as they pay federal and state taxes on the purchase, therefore have to charge a high price to make a slim profit. Many of you posters order more expensive wine each night again with a 15% gratuity. This bottle plus other alcohol drinks and special coffees do add up over a 7, 10 or 14 day cruise. If the cruise line wants to make an example out of me and remove my wine, champagne or rum from my luggage it is their call. It will be my short term loss but the cruise lines longer term loss as I will make my silent protest by not purchasing liquor on board but in ports of call only. I do not have to have alcohol to enjoy a fabulous cruise vacation, but I do enjoy it. If the cruise line wants to lose approximately $600.00 to $700.00 minimum in liquor purchase income on a 14 day cruise, so be it. It has also been mentioned that the liquor sales are part of the cost of the cruise bottom line or profit. If that being the case why do non drinkers then get a break if us drinkers are subsidizing the cruise with our purchases. No disrespect to the non drinkers...just commenting on previous posts. I would like to see the cost of the drinks lowered 30 to 40% in price and I would probably buy 100% more and the cruise company would profit more by me and many others. I believe they are pricing me out of the market as it now stands. In conclusion I would not want to see all inclusive drinks as there would be many that could not drink in moderation and would create many problems on board.

I agree with you the cruiselines are over pricing wine and alcohol drinks. It is really hard to get a descent wine for less then $35-$40 a bottle. Since we drink wine at home, we know that the ones offered at $20-$25 dollars are very poor quality wines. $10-$15 for a shot of quality spirits is a bit stiff too. We are retired folks, so we watch our pennies. If the prices were more reasonable we would not mind.

When we are in Florida we stock up before we board. Even with the higher wine prices in Florida we are still ahead over the prices on a cruise. We are also able to buy better quality wines for 1/2 the price we pay on a cruise ship.

In Europe once again, we do well buying local wines. In Gilbrater, when paying in pounds we were ahead. So the mark up is very high considering the volume the ship buy.

Wow, this question gets more results than any other question on these boards.

My answer for us, we spend alot of money on board. Have no problem paying restaurant prices for a bottle of wine at dinner or martinis at the bar but, after paying a bunch of money for a room ( a bunch of money being whatever is alot to you) we like to enjoy our room, lucky for us the next one is a balcony for 19 days. Anyway, we like to enjoy the room and like a cocktail before dinner, sometimes after dinner and if you have preferences the room service selection isn't always great. I'm not a wine snob and don't really care (but you are allowed to bring wine on) but my dh drinks scotch and while the selection in the public bars is really quite nice, the room service selection is quite bad. So, we do 'bring' a bottle of something nice with us. 7 cruises and never been busted, and if we were wouldn't be the end of the world.

Cheers.

Archived