Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

Love this thread! I am still going to stick with my original opinion that the ship is a floating hotel. Hotels never stop you from bringing liquor into your room. The fact of the matter is, if you're not traipsing all over the ship with your sippy cup, what is it anybody's business? I don't bring my own food/appetizers to a restaurant and I don't bring my own booze to a club but, I do bring booze into my hotel room. People who drink will always buy booze onboard. People who bring on their own booze are not affecting the bottom dollar. It's the cruise lines that are affecting their own bottom dollar by flooding the market with newer, bigger and better ships that they can't fill to capacity unless they cut the prices. A 14 day transatlantic cruise will cost me the same amount of $$$ that I spent in 2004. Cruising has never been cheaper (unless we're talking about 1972). Bottom line? You're entitled to your opinion but, it's not always about the money! I have family members who do not drink or drink very little. They do not partake of the ships services or tours. I guess they're impacting profits as well.......

For the anti-smuggling crowd, have you ever booked an excursion outside of the cruise line? Don't you realize by doing so you're have a direct effect on the cruise line's bottom line and driving up the costs for everyone else? Do you feel guilty about doing that? Of course not. Nor should you. You're simply trying to have a more favorable experience on your cruise at a lesser cost to you. Which is exactly the same as enjoying a smuggled beer in your cabin.

You must be getting desperate to have to grope for such an inappropriste comparison. In no way is it suggested anywhere that privately arranged tours are not allowed. It is, however, made clear that private supplies of liquor are not permitted. Hardly "...exactly the same...".

Grow up: admit that you are trying to get away with something --- no body is going to condemn you -- it is just that your feeble justifications are getting tiresome.

This is an abitrary little 'rule' the cruise lines have come up with, unlike the ridiculous, outdated and totally laughable (but enforceable) 'laws' that are still on the books of many townships, cities, states.

Most people that 'smuggle' have a few drinks in their room. Drinks they wouldn't otherwise have b/c it's not worth the effort of scoping out the closest bar. They don't schlep back and forth for every drink, they buy from the bars and in the dining room.

This is certainly not something I'm going to feel guilty about. Really people, guilt?:confused:

In the end, those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

Cheers!!

I am not angry. I think it's actually amusing that you start an innocent thread asking why people bring their own alcohol on board and then just start agreeing with everyone who accuses those whom you ask to contribute to thread of stealing.

I thought you were actually interested in the answer to a question about why people go through all of the trouble of stopping at a liquor store or Publix before a cruise or pack bottles carefully in checked luggage when they can just pay an extra $50 or so to the cruiseline and not worry about the hassle. But now I think a better title for your thread should be. "How do all of you live with the guilt of stealing from XYZ cruiseline?" But that's a bit too troll like.

I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat with you because I suspect you're the type that enjoys suckering people into that sort of thing just for the sport of it. I had a real question, asked innocently enough, hoping for nothing more than real answers. I don't need to defend my neutrality for you. If you couldn't gather that from my posts then you'll never believe me no matter what I say.

You are right about one thing...I am interested in how people deal with the guilt, or even whether they feel the guilt. Human nature fascinates me and that was the whole point of my question. I don't care about the logistic of how they smuggle, but why they risk it.

And yes, you sure did sound angry in that last post but maybe you cooled off since then.

When alcohol revenues fall over a period of time....prices at the bar increase.

They run a BUSINESS....when revenues fall' date=' they do what is necessary to adjust prices in order to meet the revenue expectations and projections.

Folks who smuggle booze on board DO have an effect on every passenger.....like it or not.[/quote']

Just a thought, some businesses actually DECREASE prices to boost revenue. I.e. all the sales in bad economy.

As for booze smuggling, I'll bring my favorite wine and bottle of specific vodka (hard to find anyway) regardless of drink prices on the ship, because I want to drink staff I like (not on the ship's menu) on the balcony I gladly pay for.

Frequently the OP is the troll, proclaiming to be asking an innocent question when their real motivation is to stir up trouble.

Sheesh. I am simply interested in why people do things, and that's about as complicated as my motive gets.

I suppose there are people out there who intentionally stir things up just to get some lively reactions...but that's pretty pathetic. And I promise, not what I had in mind.

Think about it. Wouldn't a troll respond with more inflamatory posts than mine, to try to fan the flames?

I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat with you because I suspect you're the type that enjoys suckering people into that sort of thing just for the sport of it. I had a real question, asked innocently enough, hoping for nothing more than real answers. I don't need to defend my neutrality for you. If you couldn't gather that from my posts then you'll never believe me no matter what I say.

You are right about one thing...I am interested in how people deal with the guilt, or even whether they feel the guilt. Human nature fascinates me and that was the whole point of my question. I don't care about the logistic of how they smuggle, but why they risk it.

And yes, you sure did sound angry in that last post but maybe you cooled off since then.

:rolleyes: You are entertaining, if nothing else. By the way, as has been explained to you throughout this thread, there is little, if any risk, and the cruiselines don't care and will even keep your booze on ice and provide you with glasses.

Most people violate regulations, agreements and/or laws to one degree or another: that is simply human nature. What is interesting is the lengths people will go to justify those breaches. I suppose there are really some people with such refined taste as to be unhappy with any but their preferred liquor --- but it is too bad that so many seem simply unable to acknowledge that they do it to save a few dollars.

I'm not a big drinker, but I do it to save money.

I'm not breaking any laws. I'm over 21 and not too concerned about big business bottom line. Not buying the whole spiel about my smuggling increases everyone elses costs. bull hockey. My budget is far tighter than the cruise lines'.

I absolutely believe that there are conneisseurs (sp?) that will not accept a lesser quality and that's fine by me - my dad was a scotch drinker and that was probably the only thing in life that he was brand loyal about. I think it's ridiculous that some here think that those with a refined palate should just suck it up and pay a lot for a drink that is less than acceptable. no, screw that - it's your money, put it where you like. If it's ship bar, fine. If it's the drugstore near the pier for a giant jug o wine, fine. If it's every port you come to for a 6 of local beer, fine. And if it is to bring on your limited edition bottle of whoopdedoo KoolAid, I am a-ok with that, too. it's your vacation, it's your money. that makes it your decision as to where to spend your dollars. and your decision as to whether to let others shame you about it.

No guilt here. And if they confiscate my stuff, eh, well, sometimes when you play the game, you lose. I won't complain.

...You are right about one thing...I am interested in how people deal with the guilt, or even whether they feel the guilt. Human nature fascinates me and that was the whole point of my question. I don't care about the logistic of how they smuggle, but why they risk it.

Risk? what risk? Until people are denied boarding, no risk except loss of smuggled booze. big deal.

Smuggling hurts no one, so, no guilt here.

Sheesh. I am simply interested in why people do things, and that's about as complicated as my motive gets.

I suppose there are people out there who intentionally stir things up just to get some lively reactions...but that's pretty pathetic. And I promise, not what I had in mind.

Think about it. Wouldn't a troll respond with more inflamatory posts than mine, to try to fan the flames?

Gotta hand it to you. You've stuck with this silliness.

And, of course, now you know why pax will smuggle booze onto a cruise ship.

I'm not a big drinker, but I do it to save money.

I'm not breaking any laws. I'm over 21 and not too concerned about big business bottom line. Not buying the whole spiel about my smuggling increases everyone elses costs. bull hockey. My budget is far tighter than the cruise lines'.

I absolutely believe that there are conneisseurs (sp?) that will not accept a lesser quality and that's fine by me - my dad was a scotch drinker and that was probably the only thing in life that he was brand loyal about. I think it's ridiculous that some here think that those with a refined palate should just suck it up and pay a lot for a drink that is less than acceptable. no, screw that - it's your money, put it where you like. If it's ship bar, fine. If it's the drugstore near the pier for a giant jug o wine, fine. If it's every port you come to for a 6 of local beer, fine. And if it is to bring on your limited edition bottle of whoopdedoo KoolAid, I am a-ok with that, too. it's your vacation, it's your money. that makes it your decision as to where to spend your dollars. and your decision as to whether to let others shame you about it.

No guilt here. And if they confiscate my stuff, eh, well, sometimes when you play the game, you lose. I won't complain.

This is not something I do, but.....

VERY WELL SAID.:cool:

Yes, but ultimately those who do smuggle drinks on board affects the costs of those who don't.

By impacting into the profit margin per capita the shipping lines then have to increase their basic cruise cost to cover the reduction in expenditure of those who do smuggle.

If you get what I mean

Which lines charge more to teetotalers than drinkers?:confused: Smugglers and teetotalers; which have the highest bills at the end of the cruise?:confused:

I would leave and go down to the local ice cream parlor and have dessert. You can't just leave a cruise ship and row your way to a cheaper bar in the middle on the night for a cheaper drink.

During a hurricane a week or so ago, one cruise spent two (2) days at sea and stopped at Catalina. They had left Long Beach, 30 miles away!:DOOur high school "ditch-day" was to Catalina, as it was in the Long Beach School Dist.! (Had a ball, danced all the way over and back. Too bad that ship has been retired and only fast little ships go now.:()

I have already spent three thousand dollars and we haven't even set foot on board. I don't think my bringing a bottle of rum and a box of wine for drinking on my balcony is gonna drive Carnival into bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

Beautiful avatar, bet he/she doesn't like you to leave!

Only 3M?:confused:

We(ok I) bring our own wine aboard for a couple of reasons.

1) I only drink Thunderbird and the lines don't seem to have heard of it. So, for my upcoming 10 day cruise, I'll be lugging several 3 liter bottles of T-bird for my special palate. :rolleyes:

The second reason (and the real one) is to save money. We shop the supermarket specials, dept store and discount store sales and use coupons.

It is our way of "beating the system". If others are subsidising us, it is their choice. Let us look out for us, You look out for you. (Not speaking here to the poster I am responding to. I think we have similar beliefs)

BTW, I'm sailing on HAL so large quantities of own wine are allowed.

We never go to bars or nightclubs ashore and (for economical reasons) do not drink alcohol at restaurants.

We do not drink a lot at home (speaking more for her than for myself here) but we appreciate a drink or two by ourselves (and we enjoy the company and quiet) rather than go out to drink.

kubarque

I find your post very convincining, but wine on HAL is NOT smuggling, it's allowed. Take as much as you want, but there is a 'corkage fee' in the dining room.

iambumbo stated that, because he also bought drinks on board. his smuggling Miller Lite was "...not depriving them of any alcohol related income." A bit of a hole in his logic: how about the money he did not spend on beer on board?

While I like an occasional drink on the balcony - or wine in my room, I appreciate and accept the lines' a la carte pricing because it enables them to offer the most affordable cruises -- there are lines with very high fares which include at least some drinks. For the mass market lines to offer competitive basic prices, they need to be able to charge extra for optional extras -- such as drinks purchased on board. If all passengers had to pay fares sufficient to guarantee profitability to the line, the non-drinkers, or light drinkers, would be subsidizing the more serious drinkers.

Sure, it is possible to get away with sneaking a bottle or two on board to save a few bucks (or to be able to sip your Glenfiddach single malt rather than to have to put up with the "undrinkable" Glenlivet available on the ship) -in violation of the terms under which a passenger books his cruise.

Just don't claim that, because you have already paid $X for a cruise, you have no obligation to live up to the terms of your deal with the cruise line.

Yes, it is possible to get away with cheating the line - and it isn't a huge amount involved on an individual basis -- so you save perhaps $10 per day - if just 25% of the passengers on a 2500 passenger ship did so, it would cost the line $6,250 per day, or $43,750 per week - if the ship cruises 50 weeks per year, it would come to $2,187,500 per year -- for a fleet of 15 ships - that would be $31,812,500 in lost income.

So, the small-time cheat (which is what the smuggler undeniably is) manages to generate a significant problem for his fellow passengers to cover.

Just curious....is there a reason you cannot leave this thread stay on topic based on the original post(and you are not alone)? Your theories are mere generalizations which basically mean nothing. Of course figures have a way of doing that. What's that old saying about figures? They do not take into account lines which allow you to bring on wine and/or champagne. Nor do they consider that the income category is not just alcohol but also includes all other beverages. You will also find that cruise lines do not count on a per person sales amount but rather a daily total take regardless of how it is reached i.e. water, soda, alcohol, wine samplings. The list of items not considered could go on but why. I think it is safe to say that most really don't care about the moral side of this issue....a side not requested by the original post. Time to leave the morals out and go back to the original post or have the thread locked.

I am actually fine with them raising the price of the cruise.

All of these companies advertising the lowest possible price meanwhile stripping out anything they can to make additional profit is ridiculous. The fare should reflect the cost of the cruise and the additional items should reflect the cost of providing them, not unlimited gouging. That $8 drink would still be profitable at $4 and those pictures that they gouge for $20 could go for $5, because at the end of the week if unsold, it is going to be just a piece of trash..

Of course that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Peter

Trash:confused:All those stupid pictures he insisted on taking:confused:Trash:confused:Whats wrong with the world?:confused::confused:

I don't think it is any one's business whether or not you would or have snuck booze on board, but I do know for a fact that the prices are absolutely exhorbitant. We inquired about purchasing a bottle of whiskey for our bon voyage toast to each other, which is a celebration of our 50th anniversary, and we come from the great white north (canada) and for a 375ml bottle of Crown Royal, which is listed at $22.00 US, it would have cost us $27.00 US. That is twice as much as what the same size would cost me at home. We did not intend to get hammered, or not patronize the bars, but feel that Princess prices are too darned much. So..... we will be bringing a bottle of wine, or maybe two and even though DH is not a wine drinker, that is what we will celebrate with. Thanks Princess for allowing us to do that.

Didn't bother reading the entire thread as this issue has been hashed over MANY times and no one's opinion is ever changed.

In my case, I smuggle a bottle onboard in protest of HAL's policy that allows wine and champagne drinkers to bring their poison on by the case and yet discriminates against the whiskey and beer crowd. Makes NO sense to me. Stop the oenephiles and I'll stop bringing my bourbon.

That having been said, we limit the smuggled bottle to in-room consumption and still spend plenty in the bars

Yeah. Werd, isn't it?:confused:

I don't feel any guilt if I happen to bring my favourite brand of rum on board. I would order it from Princess if they had anything that was at all palatable, but they don't. My rum of choice is a dark rum and they only offer Bacardi white.

If Princess were to offer more choices, I wouldn't go through the hassle of bringing my own on board, and would buy directly from them.

And as an aside, I do happen to sometimes exceed the speed limit, so I am guilty of that as well.

Janette

Yes, it is possible to get away with cheating the line - and it isn't a huge amount involved on an individual basis -- so you save perhaps $10 per day - if just 25% of the passengers on a 2500 passenger ship did so, it would cost the line $6,250 per day, or $43,750 per week - if the ship cruises 50 weeks per year, it would come to $2,187,500 per year -- for a fleet of 15 ships - that would be $31,812,500 in lost income.

So, the small-time cheat (which is what the smuggler undeniably is) manages to generate a significant problem for his fellow passengers to cover.

WOW! In 30 years that would be a billion dollars!:eek:

How much do they want to spend on health care?:confused:

You must be getting desperate to have to grope for such an inappropriste comparison. In no way is it suggested anywhere that privately arranged tours are not allowed. It is, however, made clear that private supplies of liquor are not permitted. Hardly "...exactly the same..."..

Of course smuggling liquor on board is not permitted; not one poster on this board disputes that. It's the rationale behind the rule that people question, which is generating additional revenue for the cruise line. As noted previously, smuggling liquor and taking non-ship excursions both cost the cruise line money. You take offense to smuggling liquor but not taking non-ship excursions. That is illogical because if your argument is based on it hurting the ship's bottom line, they have the same effect. The only difference being one is "against the rules," and one isn't.

For all those of you like navybankerteacher whose argument boils down to, "I don't smuggle because it's against the rules," would you bring your own liquor onboard if it was allowed?

I don't think much would change. The same people who currently bring it onboard to save a few bucks or to have the special drink they don't have available onboard (which seem to be the primary reasons posted to date) would keep doing so. The same people who currently don't because it's an inconvenience or because they don't care about the price savings (the primary reasons listed so far) will still do so.

Archived