Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

Generally' date=' hotels don't prohibit bringing alcohol into your room....cruise ships do.

I suppose, using this logic, that I'm free to light up in a nonsmoking hotel room?[/quote']

And what will you say when they start banning your cigarettes? After all, they do sell them onboard. I don't have any problem with your stance G'ma, never did but, I do have a problem with the way you state it. I am not without morals. I am considerate, polite 90% of the time and this is one subject I won't budge on.

And what will you say when they start banning your cigarettes? After all, they do sell them onboard. I don't have any problem with your stance G'ma, never did but, I do have a problem with the way you state it. I am not without morals. I am considerate, polite 90% of the time and this is one subject I won't budge on.

with ya sis.

Gma, you say you are stating facts but that is not so. You are stating your opinions. Which is a fine thing to do, but don't pretend that just because you think it or say it that it is FACT.

If you wish to provide hard evidence, I'd love to see it. Prove that all smugglers just don't want to pay ship's bar prices; prove that cruise fares/onboard drink prices have increased as a direct result of alcohol smuggling.

I don't believe either of those.

I'm starting to think the term "smuggling" is only referring to hard liquor or beer but not wine. I'll bring my wine on my cruise because Princess says I can.

The only 2 cruises I was on there was still plenty of $ on the bar bill but we kept a box of wine in the cabin for pre-dinner or late afternoon sipping. And I kind of resent that those of us who enjoy a few drinks are "sots".

:p

Fun thread, though!

Susan

Would love to as this sort of thing interests me, but being as I am in London, I don't know when we will see it.[/quote

It often appears on Sky satellite, at around 2am, on NBC channel 505. When there's a run, ie. on for several nights, someone in the UK will post either on the news site or question site here. It last ran about a month ago.- jocap.

. . .my DD and SIL were having their carryons xrayed ahead of us. I noticed one of the guys scanning look at the other guy and laugh and say, "Looks like a fun party in their cabin tonight."

Last time in a liquor store I looked around and noticed that several brands of scotch, vodka, rum etc were available in all plastic bottles, no metal pieces at all. I'd think they'd be pretty invisible on the normal baggage X-ray machine:cool:

Do you smuggle booze onboard? If you do, why do you do it?

I know this sounds like a silly question - but I always think of the alcohol charges as a part of the cost of the cruise. I just wonder why so many people do it!

Are you people still at it???

The questions that the OP put fourth for consideration are fine examples philosophy 101 and how to stir the proverbial pot.

The heading (Why do you bring booze onboard?) simply asks why you bring booze on board. It doesn’t call into question whether it is against any cruise lines policy.

The first sentence, however, infers that a rule or policy is being broken if you do bring booze on board and then questions the motive for doing so.

The second sentence suggests that the cost of buying a drink should be considered an ordinary expense incurred as part of the cost of taking a cruise.

The last sentence, on it’s own, is ambiguous. It doesn’t query whether any booze taken on board is smuggled or not, it simply asks why people do it?

There is no one simple answer for this post as there is no single question being asked.

This is not a treatise on morality, policy, rules, opinions, laws, penurious character traits, contemptuous law violating tendencies or righteous indignation. This is a discussion board.

Can’t we agree that we can disagree and dispense with churlish and demeaning behavior?

I just buy whatever I drink on board. No more expensive then going to a club or bar in Vegas and I would not try to bring my own mixed drinks into those other places either. I get why others do it, but I don't drink enough to break the bank.

I just buy whatever I drink on board. No more expensive then going to a club or bar in Vegas and I would not try to bring my own mixed drinks into those other places either. I get why others do it, but I don't drink enough to break the bank.

How is that even related unless you live in that bar for 7 days?

The airlines and the cruise lines both have the same challenges - and the same solutions.

People want to bring their own alcohol onbaord - for any number of good or bad reasons. Most of the time the results are benign. Nobody suffers.

But more and more often, we see drunk passengers on airplanes and ships getting out of control.

There are many lawsuits flying around (most of them frivolous) made by people who got drunk with their own booze, got into trouble, and want to blame the airline/cruise line for thier woes.

Due to this growing minority of malcontents (and the high cost of litigation), the cruise lines and airlines were forced by the courts to demonstrate that they are taking every possible action to control alcohol consumption on their vessels/planes. This involves an "offical" policy of only allowing the consumption of alcohol purchased onboard. This - in theory - allows the carrier to track and monitor alcohol purchases and consumption by passengers.

Later, when the lawsuits are brought by those who smuggle on cases of tequila (or their neighbors), the cruise line can state that they made every effort to control the consumption, but were thwarted by the smugglers. The lawsuit is thrown out of court, and the smuggler - and possibly his unintended victims - are out of luck.

On the airlines it is rather easy. Most flights are shorter than 24 hours, and the crew keep a close eye on passengers.

The cruise lines have a tougher challenge, with a captive audience for many days (and many ways to smuggle alcohol onboard).

When I worked for NCL, we were facing around a half BILLION dollars in frivolous lawsuits brought by drunks, most of whom smuggled their own alcohol onboard, then fell and broke bones, got into fights, etc (and lawsuits from their unintended victims). NCL could have spent many millions fighting the suits or settling out of court. We did several studies where we confiscated alcohol at the gangway one week, and allowed it onboard the next. The ship's bar revenues remained the same every week. Confiscating the bottles made no difference in revenue.

But on the weeks when we confiscated the bottles, the number of noise complaints, fights, arrests, drunks in the brig, broken bones, etc - and lawsuits - went way, way down.

Our legal department jumped on these results and quickly imposed an alcohol ban at the gangway. As soon as we did this, the courts agreed to throw out all the frivolous lawsuits. The company saved a fortune.

Isn't it odd that the frequent threads that talk about all the crazies jumping/falling/pushed overboard almost all agree that alcohol is usually involved, but nobody ever speculates on how many of those "accidents" might have been prevented if the passengers were truly unable to smuggle alcohol onboard?????

The airlines and the cruise lines both have the same challenges - and the same solutions.

People want to bring their own alcohol onbaord - for any number of good or bad reasons. Most of the time the results are benign. Nobody suffers.

But more and more often, we see drunk passengers on airplanes and ships getting out of control.

There are many lawsuits flying around (most of them frivolous) made by people who got drunk with their own booze, got into trouble, and want to blame the airline/cruise line for thier woes.

Due to this growing minority of malcontents (and the high cost of litigation), the cruise lines and airlines were forced by the courts to demonstrate that they are taking every possible action to control alcohol consumption on their vessels/planes. This involves an "offical" policy of only allowing the consumption of alcohol purchased onboard. This - in theory - allows the carrier to track and monitor alcohol purchases and consumption by passengers.

Later, when the lawsuits are brought by those who smuggle on cases of tequila (or their neighbors), the cruise line can state that they made every effort to control the consumption, but were thwarted by the smugglers. The lawsuit is thrown out of court, and the smuggler - and possibly his unintended victims - are out of luck.

On the airlines it is rather easy. Most flights are shorter than 24 hours, and the crew keep a close eye on passengers.

The cruise lines have a tougher challenge, with a captive audience for many days (and many ways to smuggle alcohol onboard).

When I worked for NCL, we were facing around a half BILLION dollars in frivolous lawsuits brought by drunks, most of whom smuggled their own alcohol onboard, then fell and broke bones, got into fights, etc (and lawsuits from their unintended victims). NCL could have spent many millions fighting the suits or settling out of court. We did several studies where we confiscated alcohol at the gangway one week, and allowed it onboard the next. The ship's bar revenues remained the same every week. Confiscating the bottles made no difference in revenue.

But on the weeks when we confiscated the bottles, the number of noise complaints, fights, arrests, drunks in the brig, broken bones, etc - and lawsuits - went way, way down.

Our legal department jumped on these results and quickly imposed an alcohol ban at the gangway. As soon as we did this, the courts agreed to throw out all the frivolous lawsuits. The company saved a fortune.

Isn't it odd that the frequent threads that talk about all the crazies jumping/falling/pushed overboard almost all agree that alcohol is usually involved, but nobody ever speculates on how many of those "accidents" might have been prevented if the passengers were truly unable to smuggle alcohol onboard?????

Sorry, but I have to call BS on that one. NCL allows you to buy bottles for your room and I've never seen anyone cut off even though they should be so I'm highly doubtful that lawsuits have dropped. All cruiselines want is to be able to sell you that litre for your room rather than you bringing it on at a 1/4 of the price.

We never "smuggle" alcohol onto a cruise ship--we only take what is permitted in their rules. We do enjoy relaxing in our cabin at the end of a long day of sightseeing with a glass of wine--in the public areas, we wouldn't be comfortable sitting around barefoot in our robes, putting our feet up.

Plus, we've taken several European cruises, where we loved trying local wines.

I don't 'smuggle' booze of any kind on board, unless it's permitted. I budget what I think I'll drink and that is it. For those who 'have to have' their 'favorite' beverage, well, I personally think that is an excuse. We can find alternative for one silly week. People smuggle to save money, period.

:rolleyes:

I don't 'smuggle' booze of any kind on board, unless it's permitted. I budget what I think I'll drink and that is it. For those who 'have to have' their 'favorite' beverage, well, I personally think that is an excuse. We can find alternative for one silly week. People smuggle to save money, period.

:rolleyes:

I agree. If the mainstream cruiseships provided booze included in the fare, (Heaven forbid! I don't even want to think about that!) I'm sure most "smugglers" wouldn't be so fussy about having their "favorite" beverage. LOL

Pearl

I agree. If the mainstream cruiseships provided booze included in the fare, (Heaven forbid! I don't even want to think about that!) I'm sure most "smugglers" wouldn't be so fussy about having their "favorite" beverage. LOL

Pearl

You guys do realize that it's only been in recent years that they haven't allowed you to bring your own? Nobody seemed to be falling down drunk back then anymore than they do now.

:cool: I see no reason not to bring a bottle of my favorite on board with me. It's not like you can leave and go elsewhere to enjoy what you like drinking if they don't stock it. I always bring a bottle with me to enjoy while cruising because I haven't been on a ship that carries my brand and even set it down on the desk or dresser. If the cruise lines started confiscating everyones bottles, no one would bring one on board.

not enuf to really do something about it

Oh, they "do" something about it alright.....

They raise the prices onboard to make up for the lost revenue.. We, who obey the damn rules get to pay for those who don't.....

They have revenue targets to meet on each cruise...on everything. If they consistently fail to meet those targets, they raise the prices...

As usual, it's the few who make it difficult for the many......

Archived