Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

Two things hold true about your post: 1) you are certainly entitled to your opinion be it right or wrong, 2) to group everyone into your plain fact stereotype reflects strongly on how you view yourself.

Just curious, what do you wear to dinner on formal evenings?

The question was why people smuggled - I gave my opinion: sorry if you did not like it.

I suppose you were trying to make some sort of point by asking what I wore on formal evenings: somewhat off topic -- but, since you asked, I follow the the suggested dress code - out of courtesy to my fellow passengers.

The last 2 cruises (Celebrity and Carnival) allowed 1 bottle of wine pp. We are sailing RC in Feb and from what I have read on their site, no wine is allowed to be brought on board. Can anyone confirm this?

Not only that, but if you try to take a gift bottle into the dining room they try to charge you a corkage charge as well.

Cheers,

Peter

It is everywhere that they have to get revenue from.

Anything that impacts on their potential revenue has a detrimental effect on the costs, as it reduces the profitability of each sailing and has a knock on effect.

Based on their experience they will have a target income for each cabin on each grade of cabin AS AN AVERAGE. They know there are people who spend and people who don't but there is an average. Anything that impacts on that average, be it people who don't spend, or people who bring their own drink and thus reduce the potential cabin income impacts on that, and thus when they make their calculation the prices will invariably rise.

I am actually fine with them raising the price of the cruise.

All of these companies advertising the lowest possible price meanwhile stripping out anything they can to make additional profit is ridiculous. The fare should reflect the cost of the cruise and the additional items should reflect the cost of providing them, not unlimited gouging. That $8 drink would still be profitable at $4 and those pictures that they gouge for $20 could go for $5, because at the end of the week if unsold, it is going to be just a piece of trash..

Of course that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Peter

We(ok I) bring our own wine aboard for a couple of reasons.

1) I only drink Thunderbird and the lines don't seem to have heard of it. So, for my upcoming 10 day cruise, I'll be lugging several 3 liter bottles of T-bird for my special palate. :rolleyes:

kubarque

I can't resist...

Do you also bring your own brown paper bag to drink it out of?

Like a lot of other people my DH & I really enjoy a glass of wine while preparing for dinner. The wine I "smuggle" is usually something that has meaning to us - bought before we were married to celebrate anniversary milestones, gifts from family members who traveled overseas, or just from our favorite Napa vineyard (Rutherford Hill btw).

I do also bring on a tad of my own vodka. I'm a bit of a vodka snob and either I can't afford to have my vodka in every drink I order or they just don't carry what I like. (DH will buy a bottle of his drink of choice on the ship.) No I don't feel like I'm cheating the cruise line because we typically end our vacations with $1000 going on our credit card from the bars/excursions/specialty restaurant that we paid extra for!

We do bring booze on board, normally couple botlles of wine and a bottle of nice Russian vodka for in cabin consumption. As it was previously stated there is nothing better then a drink on the balcony :D

We still purchase PLENTY of drinks on board, as we do not drink our own staff outside of the cabin and we go to bars in the evening to hang out. I think our normal drinks bill for 7 night cruise is about $500. So I really do not get what is the problem? We still spend plenty of money on cruiseline sponsored drinks, I can't buy a drink through them to be delivered to my cabin and replentished at will, otherwise I probably would ;)

Same question goes to bringing soda/water on board. Cruiselines charge for them and a lot of people bring them, but there is no stigma attached, why?

As for bringing alchogol to bars/movies, etc., it is a silly question. Why would I bring it there when I can go there and then come back home for a nice wind down, end of the day drink? On a cruise you don't have that option unless you have something in your cabin.

I have reread this and I do sound like a complete lush :). But that is what vacations are for - no need to get up early in the morning!

No, that's not "it". And that's why I asked the question...I had a suspicion there would be other reasons.

I mean, if you think about it, if we can all afford the luxury of taking a cruise we can all probably afford our bar tabs without smuggling at all.

We've gotten a few interesting answers other than price - such as the cruiseline doesn't carry their favorite drink (was it a specialty coconut rum?), or they didn't want to wait for a drink to come from room service, wanting to be spontaneous on the balcony or in the cabin getting ready for dinner, and not wanting to walk up to the bar. I think some people find the idea of doing something slightly naughty a little fun.

There is no right or wrong answer...it's just really interesting to see all the different points of view.

It is interesting. Folks will use any excuse, any reason to justify the practice. But, the plain fact is...they don't want to spend the money onboard buying drinks.

There is no one whose palate is so sensitive that they simply MUST have their very own rare, exclusively aged libation. Anyone can find an alternative for a week or so.

It's amazing how folks suddenly become a connoissuer on a cruise; totally unable to consume a dastardly sub-standard liquor.

Heaven forbid, they drink a lowly gin and tonic...or a nice single malt scotch or fine cognac from the BAR.....forget about the many tropical drinks available in which one cannot distinguish one "brand" from another.

It's about the money.....

It's not a silly question, but it is a lightening rod that always generates a multitude of responses.

The people that choose to ridicule the OP or other posters are "trolls". They will launch some sort or personal attack and await the responses.

These are the same people that will cut you off in traffic, butt ahead of you in a line or "reserve" chairs on the pool decks. They are not at all concerned about you, what your opinions are or what you think or feel. It's all about them.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore them. It's not worth the aggravation and you will only encourage their juvenile behavior. Please don’t feed the trolls.

What I find interesting is that anyone with an opposing opinion is considered a troll.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why people smuggle booze....... What are you trying to do a case study or write a dissertation. I, like many others bring some liquor from home because we do not like paying $5 - $7 per beer, or $6 -$12 for a drink or glass of wine. It is also nobodys buisness so I don't see why anyone cares.

People don't sneak it aboard just to do something "naughty"..

Call me cheap or a troll but I like to tell it like it is.

AH, an honest response.....

Such a rarity on here.

IMO, people "vacationing" with their children deserve the hard stuff. :D

But I am definitely checking into HAL itineraries for the future. If Carnival would see the light people wouldn't go to such lengths to bend their silly rules.

StillPooh, don't worry about it -we have cruised on Carnival and brought booze before, no problems. I think as long as it is not excessive amount (like 10 bottles of hard liquor) they don't care.

We've never considered bringing liquor on board, not even wine, which generally is allowed.

We do like to drink alcohol. But to us, drinking alcohol is a social activity, not something we'd ever do on our balcony, or in our cabin "while getting ready for dinner" (which seems to be a very popular activity!). We have a full liquor cabinet here at home, and a pretty decent (by our estimation! :D) wine cellar -- but unless we have guests, we rarely dip into any of it.

So we do drink on our cruises. Our biggest enjoyment is finding that comfortable spot near the piano player, or stringed quartet, and then keeping our glasses full. But we're also chatting with passers-by, getting into conversations with others around us, or just people-watching...

not hold up in our cabin sipping illicit booze!

You seem to think that having a drink in your cabin is rather naughty/not acceptable behavior. Princess allows me to bring on a bottle of wine and that is exactly what I do. I do it because I like to watch the sunset on the balcony with my partner and sip a favorite wine. It's romantic, it's social and it's relaxing. Personally, I don't like to drink in bars. What difference does it make if you are drinking with other passengers or on your balcony relaxing with your loved one. It's a personal thing. To each her own.

This is quite different than "hold up in our cabin sipping illicit booze!" Granted, if someone was dealing with alcoholism and drinking in their room to avoid being caught or simply to get drunk, well then, that person needs help. But that's another story.

We don't smuggle per se. We bring some of our own wine & are OK paying a corkage fee. It's still cheaper than paying the line's prices. In this economy every little bit helps. Sometimes the line takes the wine & brings it to us upon request. Sometimes it goes through without question. If that's smuggling, I'm OK with it.

FWIW, we do sometimes bring wine to other restaurants on land at home for special occassions.

What I never understood about this topic is why what one person consumes in their cabin is really anybody else's business. I'm not talking about overly loud or obnoxious drunks. Just seriously, what difference does it make?

Typically there are two reasons someone would sneak alcohol onboard a cruise ship. The first is because you would like to enjoy a drink in your stateroom without having to either order room service or physically go to the bar to get one.

The second (and more popular) reason for sneaking alcohol on-board a cruise ship is to save money. It is no big secret that one of the biggest “extra” expenses incurred on-board a cruise ship is the bar tab. Order a couple of daily specials at the pool, a bottle of wine with dinner, and a cocktail in the evening and its pretty easy for a couple to spend a hundred dollars per day (or more) on drinks alone. In either situation, they will most likely also be purchasing drinks on-board as a matter of convenience.

The question about bringing alcohol into a restaurant is incongruous. Have you ever gone on a cruise for one evening or ever spent an entire week in a restaurant? On a cruise, you are pretty much a captive audience for the duration. Not the same thing, not even close. Hotels (with or without bars and restaurants) don’t seem to have a problem with people bringing booze into their hotel. So why do the cruise lines have a problem with it?

Simple. It's the bottom line. The cruise lines make most of their revenue from: Booze, Gambling, Shore excursions, Spa treatments, On-board shops, Laundry and Tips. If someone wants to save a few buck on their cruise vacation by taking their favorite alcoholic beverages on board, it doesn't matter to me and more importantly, it’s none of my business!

Great answer!

As for the remarks I read stating that smuggling alcohol on board causes the price of the cruise to increase, how does that work for those that don't buy any alcohol at all - I guess they should buy drinks and pour them out to keep the prices lower!!!!! The CL do allow soft drinks and water to be brought on board - isn't that dipping into their profit margin as well? Maybe if they didn't think it necessary to make a profit of 500% on the booze they sell - they wouldn't need to worry about people smuggling it on.

I can't resist...

Do you also bring your own brown paper bag to drink it out of?

No, I drink it out of a nice dainty wine glass on my balcony. Not gonna take the jug to the dining room. I could buy a couple of bottles of my fav for the uncorking fee.

Yes, but ultimately those who do smuggle drinks on board affects the costs of those who don't.

By impacting into the profit margin per capita the shipping lines then have to increase their basic cruise cost to cover the reduction in expenditure of those who do smuggle.

If you get what I mean

Wow! what a big house you must have to put all the art you buy onboard and all the fine jewelery available! Because I'm sure you wouldn't want them to be left with merchandise onboard and make the cruise line miss that chance to make a profit , a situation that would penalize all on the next cruise. Thank you so much ! And to think of how happy you must make the photographers, buying each and every photo, and I'm sure you don't skip the bath robes ( the luxury ones of course) and the coffee cards . Have you taught about writing a book about the drink of the day since you must always try them all ?

It is interesting. Folks will use any excuse' date=' any reason to justify the practice. But, the plain fact is...they don't want to spend the money onboard buying drinks.

.....[/quote']

I can tell you in all honesty, it's not the money. It's the convenience. If Princess sold small bottles of Grand Marnier on the ship, I wouldn't be packing my own, nor would I be taking a box of wine if they would sell me one. I want a glass, not wanting to open a bottle everytime. I buy their beer package, I buy their gin package (I'm mixing it, I don't need the high end stuff) so please don't generalize, we don't all do it to save money.

It is interesting. Folks will use any excuse' date=' any reason to justify the practice. But, the plain fact is...they don't want to spend the money onboard buying drinks.

There is no one whose palate is so sensitive that they simply MUST have their very own rare, exclusively aged libation. Anyone can find an alternative for a week or so.

It's amazing how folks suddenly become a connoissuer on a cruise; totally unable to consume a dastardly sub-standard liquor.

Heaven forbid, they drink a lowly gin and tonic...or a nice single malt scotch or fine cognac from the BAR.....forget about the many tropical drinks available in which one cannot distinguish one "brand" from another.

It's about the money.....[/quote']

While it is quite clear that you will not believe this, I can tell you at least in my case(and I am sure in the case of many others), it has nothing to do with money. I can assure you that I spend my fair share of time at the bars enjoying some of their selections. We all have a reason for bringing a bottle with us....not an excuse as you call it. Since you know absolutely nothing about me and anyone else posting here.....what makes you feel like you are in a position to tell any of us what we really mean to say. A gross generalization like you have made makes you appear very narrow minded.

Usta listen to a guy on the radio.

He always said "whenever anyone says 'it's not about the money',guess what? Its about the money."

He was a fun guy, though not a mushroom.

Ok, so someone acuses you that you're doing something because it's the money and it's not... how do you answer them? Your comment makes no sense at all. No one started a conversation saying oh look me I'm a smuggler but it's not about the money. We were defending an acusation.

What I find interesting is that anyone with an opposing opinion is considered a troll.

Evidently neither you nor ZACC bothered to read and/or comprehend my response to the OP's post about being ridiculed for her opinion. I never suggested' date=' insinuated or implied that anyone expressing an opposing opinion should be regarded as a troll.

What I did say is this: ”The people that choose to [i']RIDICULE[/i] the OP or other posters are "trolls".

In closing, I suggest the next time that you feel an urge to embarrass yourself and bore others, that you summon all your might, and resist.

Evidently neither you nor ZACC bothered to read and/or comprehend my response to the OP's post about being ridiculed for her opinion. I never suggested, insinuated or implied that anyone expressing an opposing opinion should be regarded as a troll.

What I did say is this: ”The people that choose to RIDICULE the OP or other posters are "trolls".

In closing, I suggest the next time that you feel an urge to embarrass yourself and bore others, that you summon all your might, and resist.

Dear Altar......

One must be very careful when using the word "you" on CC. And, one must choose words carefully. For, you see, bashing other posters by personally "attacking" them is not permitted here.....

The last paragraph typed was a little over the edge...but, I see your new here so, I'll let it ride. Perhaps a review of the community guidelines might be in order.

Cruise Critic is an opinion oriented forum....where everyone gives their opinion. Characterizations, however, are not part of the experience.

Also, technically, a troll is someone who "hits and runs".... I've been around a long time here...so, I might be disagreeable, some might say harsh, others might say short and to the point - or opinionated...but troll? Never.

I have taken booze on board every cruise since my first. Sometimes a box of wine (easier to travel with), sometimes a 12-pack or case of beer. Since my beer of choice is Miller Lite, the obvious reason why I do it is... I don't want to pay the cruise line's prices for everything I want to drink onboard. I always have put the liquor in my checked luggage and it's always made it to my room with no problems. I still have drinks with dinner, at the bars, at the pool area, etc. so it's not like I'm depriving them of any alcohol-related income. I sleep just fine at night.

What seems ridiculous to me are the comparisons of smuggling booze onboard to stealing. I am not taking anything that doesn't belong to me. The beer/wine was mine when I took it onboard, it never belonged to the cruise line. So how is that stealing? It's not.

All cruise lines recognize this is a highly competitive industry. If someone was actually denied boarding or something drastic like that occurred for smuggling booze, that person's story would cost the cruise line far more in goodwill and lost future business than that person would have earned them. So as I see it, there's an unspoken truce going on here. The cruise lines post their anti-smuggling rules to deter as many people as possible and to preserve the alcohol revenue stream. The smugglers are forced to be discrete in carrying it and consuming onboard, so in turn the cruise lines write off the nominal lost revenue in the interest of having happy (and hopefully returning) cruisers while taking the Colonel Klink approach: "I know nothing! I see nothing!!!" Neither side gets 100% of what they want, but everyone's happy at the end of the day.

Archived