Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

I bring my own liquor on board for a couple of reasons. I only drink Dos Santos (Mexican coffee liquor) or Drambuie. Cruise lines do not have Dos Santos as a general rule and often have very little Drambuie. If the cruise lines had what I drink, I sure wouldn't hassle bringing it onboard. I also try to cruise on lines that don't make you feel like a crook if you bring your own special (NOT AVAILABLE on the ship) liquor. I love Cunard out of NYC-there is a liquor store on 10th Ave that carries Dos Santos. Really great feeling to walk over to the liquor store and walk back on the ship, brown liquor bag in hand and no one bats an eyelash.

I understand what you’re saying as far as the cruise lines then having to increase their basic cruise cost to cover the reduction in expenditure of those who do smuggle. But I’m pretty sure that on any given cruise (excepting spring break cruises) that the amount of potentially lost revenue due to clandestine alcohol consumption is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I’m fairly certain that the reason cruise fares are reasonable, and will probably remain so, has to do with the cruise lines continuously instituting numerous mechanisms for generating on-board revenue, such as: specialty restaurants, specialty coffee, specialty ice cream, fees for late night room service, on-board activities, and as previously mentioned, booze, gambling, shore excursions, spa treatments, on-board shops, laundry and tips.

If someone sneaks a little booze on-board it's not really going to hurt the cruise lines. The fact is once someone pays their cruise fare, they don't have to spend another dime while they’re on-board, and those that don’t are the ones that really hurt the cruise lines.

Why smuggle on board?. I don't have a problem paying for a drink or two at a reasonable price, but get this. A couple of years ago while on a cruise that stopped in Barbados, I happend to notice that a bottle of rum was selling for about $7 duty free in port. When boarding back on our ship, I happened to notice the ship was stocking up on supplies, and what do I see? Cases upon cases of local rum being restocked on the ship!!

Of course it is a business and the ship is stocking up on supplies at each port, getting the biggest bang for their dollar. At an ounce to and ounce and a 1/4 per drink, the cost of that entire bottle is recovered in two drinks. Sure you have the ice, the mix, the wages etc. to factor in but would i feel guilty about smuggling in a bottle....not at all.

Question for those who choose to smuggle: do you also smuggle alcohol into restaurants/clubs etc or food/drink into other venues which prohibit it (movies, festivals, etc) because they want you to buy it there?

It not, why is this a different situation?

This is NOT a judgmental, rhetorical, or sarcastic question. I realy do want to hear responses to this issue.

Most fine restaurants allow you to pay a corkage (usually in the $10-$30 range) to be served a bottle brought in. No need to "smuggle"

EVERY hotel I have ever stayed in across the US and world allows me to drink anything I may have brought to the room. And yes - most have an in room bar or full service bar on site

M

Why smuggle on board?. I don't have a problem paying for a drink or two at a reasonable price, but get this. A couple of years ago while on a cruise that stopped in Barbados, I happend to notice that a bottle of rum was selling for about $7 duty free in port. When boarding back on our ship, I happened to notice the ship was stocking up on supplies, and what do I see? Cases upon cases of local rum being restocked on the ship!!

Of course it is a business and the ship is stocking up on supplies at each port, getting the biggest bang for their dollar. At an ounce to and ounce and a 1/4 per drink, the cost of that entire bottle is recovered in two drinks. Sure you have the ice, the mix, the wages etc. to factor in but would i feel guilty about smuggling in a bottle....not at all.

It's the same thing in any nice restaurant. They sell a bottle of wine for sometimes as usually about 4 times what you'd pay for the same bottle in the liquor store. And it you get a glass it's even worse. The glass of wine might be $12, and the whole bottle probably costs them about that for them buying in huge bulk. But that's just the way it goes...they are in this business to make money, and they make no secret about it.

The argument for smuggling alcohol onboard a cruise because of cost is interesting. But is it morally and ethically sound? If so, would you do the same in a restaurant? Would you bring your own appetizers because you thought the escargot was too expensive? Would you bring in your own dessert because their chocolate mousse was overpriced?

The argument for bringing something onboard because the ship doesn't HAVE IT makes some sense. I am not sure I could ever do it but it makes more sense to me than saying they charge too much.

... I always think of the alcohol charges as a part of the cost of the cruise.

The cruise lines would just love it if everybody took your opinion of things. To them you are a perfect customer running up a high shipboard account. If they could fill a ship with people like you they would be in hog heaven, but there are not enough perfect customers to go around in a world where you can get a short cruise for a couple hundred bucks. They know there is a population on the ship that is not going to pay ship's bar prices for drinks, but they need these people to fill the cabins. If they got strict on smuggling a segment of their customers would leave and go to another cruise line or find a land vacation.

The cruise lines would just love it if everybody took your opinion of things. To them you are a perfect customer running up a high shipboard account. If they could fill a ship with people like you they would be in hog heaven, but there are not enough perfect customers to go around in a world where you can get a short cruise for a couple hundred bucks. They know there is a population on the ship that is not going to pay ship's bar prices for drinks, but they need these people to fill the cabins. If they got strict on smuggling a segment of their customers would leave and go to another cruise line or find a land vacation.

That's almost like saying shoplifting is OK because the stores expect it...and raise their prices to compensate.

One of the most interesting things on cruise critic is the different attitudes of bringing your own booze aboard. On the Carnival threads, they call it "smuggling" and many users of that board get on their soap box to tell others how evil they are for doing it. On the Princess board, they tell you the best way to get your alcohol on board. In any case, I do it to enjoy beer (my own favorites) and cocktails on the balcony. I don't bring any with me to the pool or dinner. However, Princess has a "guideline" of one bottle of wine per passenger. But they allow more and have allowed passengers to bring bottles from ports. I think on my next cruise which starts in Venice, I'll pick up some Moretti and bring it on in my checked luggage. That will be a treat on the cruise. I'll get the allowable wine in Venice as well.

We take on our own booze/wine because we spend most of our free time on our deck enjoying each other. We're not ones for hanging out in bars and don't go to a lot of the shows at night, we'd rather take in the stars and enjoy each others company. That includes a cocktail that I have no intention of phoning room service for or running to a bar. On Princess it's not a big deal if we take on hard stuff as they're pretty reasonable by the bottle. I don't feel like I'm cheating anyone, we average about $100 a day onboard spending. I'm sure any cruise line would be happy if they could average that.

We don't equate it to taking wine to a restaurant as the ship is our hotel for the week, not just somewhere we eat. Really couldn't care less what other's think so please keep your rude comments to yourself.

One of the most interesting things on cruise critic is the different attitudes of bringing your own booze aboard. On the Carnival threads, they call it "smuggling" and many users of that board get on their soap box to tell others how evil they are for doing it. On the Princess board, they tell you the best way to get your alcohol on board. In any case, I do it to enjoy beer (my own favorites) and cocktails on the balcony. I don't bring any with me to the pool or dinner. However, Princess has a "guideline" of one bottle of wine per passenger. But they allow more and have allowed passengers to bring bottles from ports.

Isn't it Holland America that places no limits on wine, and passengers have been known to bring cases to the port?

If Carnival wants to get pissy with me over a 3L box of wine, next time we'll consider HAL.

Isn't it Holland America that places no limits on wine, and passengers have been known to bring cases to the port?

If Carnival wants to get pissy with me over a 3L box of wine, next time we'll consider HAL.

HAL, in my opinion, has the best policy at sea (other than Disney where you can take hard stuff). HAL is unlimited wine and they sell litre bottles of a really good selection of stuff for around $30 a bottle.

HAL, in my opinion, has the best policy at sea (other than Disney where you can take hard stuff). HAL is unlimited wine and they sell litre bottles of a really good selection of stuff for around $30 a bottle.

IMO, people "vacationing" with their children deserve the hard stuff. :D

But I am definitely checking into HAL itineraries for the future. If Carnival would see the light people wouldn't go to such lengths to bend their silly rules.

IMO, people "vacationing" with their children deserve the hard stuff. :D

But I am definitely checking into HAL itineraries for the future. If Carnival would see the light people wouldn't go to such lengths to bend their silly rules.

I thought you could buy a bottle on Carnival? has that changed? RCI is the worst :rolleyes:

I thought you could buy a bottle on Carnival? has that changed? RCI is the worst :rolleyes:
I have been told you can, but can't find anything about how to do that. The site says alcohol purchased onboard in the gift shops is held until the end of the cruise.

Others have told me there is a service available but a good bottle will cost 4x the going rate. :confused:

I have been told you can, but can't find anything about how to do that. The site says alcohol purchased onboard in the gift shops is held until the end of the cruise.

Others have told me there is a service available but a good bottle will cost 4x the going rate. :confused:

I don't think they advertise it, but I'm pretty sure you can call the Bon Voyage Department and order a bottle before you board. No idea on the prices though.

we bought rum onboard only by accident once when we didn't finish our small bottle precruise in new orleans...just stuck the remainder in the suitcase! but we never touched it onboard. drinking is a social activity for us, we love to go to the bar before and after dinner.

we have had several bottles of champagne sent by travel agents to our room and more than once have left them behind!

happy cruising no matter where you get your frinks!

Beverly

Does anybody else find it interesting that Disney allows hard liquor to be brought on board? Isn’t that line marketed to families? So much for other cruise lines lip service about trying to prevent underage drinking. On the flip side, if I was stuck on a ship with a gazillion kids I’d probably want to have a libation in hand.

Also, I find it interesting that some cruise lines purport that denying alcohol to be brought on board is to help curtail overindulgence. Makes more sense that they want the alcohol sales, certainly the bartenders do since they work for tips which brings me to this question. Has anyone ever, on any cruise, ever see anyone get cut off from drinking?

Just searched the Carnival board and it's apparently $40 for a litre of vodka...that's not bad.

It's the same thing in any nice restaurant. They sell a bottle of wine for sometimes as usually about 4 times what you'd pay for the same bottle in the liquor store. And it you get a glass it's even worse. The glass of wine might be $12, and the whole bottle probably costs them about that for them buying in huge bulk. But that's just the way it goes...they are in this business to make money, and they make no secret about it.

The argument for smuggling alcohol onboard a cruise because of cost is interesting. But is it morally and ethically sound? If so, would you do the same in a restaurant? Would you bring your own appetizers because you thought the escargot was too expensive? Would you bring in your own dessert because their chocolate mousse was overpriced?

The argument for bringing something onboard because the ship doesn't HAVE IT makes some sense. I am not sure I could ever do it but it makes more sense to me than saying they charge too much.

At some point cost does become a factor. I am sure post people understand the markup of a product is par fpr doing business. But at what point is the line crossed when something is marked up to the point it is almost gouging? Using your analogy of the bottle of wine being marked up 4 x is one thing but what if that glass of wine was 32 x the cost? Would you pay $320 for a $10 bottle of wine? I say that because if they happen to pour one ounce drinks from a bottle of a 1 litre bottle(32 ounces), and can almost recoup the cost from one drink, then the markup is 32 x and not 4 x.

I like the point that Cruisegirl makes about the hotels. Could you imagine if a hotel searched your bags as you checked in to ensure you did not dare drink any of your own alcohol in a hotel room?

I do suppose drinking your own few drinks in your cabin is one thing, smuggliing booze into a dining room and spiking a soda or orange juice is another.

Wow,, some posters have really mean attitudes,, for goodness sake , on some cruiselines( Princess that I know of for sure) it is absolutely FINE AND PERMITTED to take wine on board. So we do,, as we are not impressed by the lack of nice and reasonable French wines on the wine list.

We did not "smuggle " rum onboard,, but did order a bottle from Room Service. However,, they did not have the brand we prefer,, so will smuggle it on this time. It makes sense to bring what they do not have.

We are looking forward to being crimminals with no morals or ethics on the Ruby Princess this March,, watch out.. we're coming...LOL

Please have a drink for me:D

Archived