Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

On the Carnival threads, they call it "smuggling" and many users of that board get on their soap box to tell others how evil they are for doing it.
I think that Carnival has their rules because so many people take such delight in thinking they've really put one over on "the man", while the rest truly enjoy telling anyone who will care to listen how evil they are for engaging in smuggling. Therefore, everyone is happy! Clever, Carnival...:cool:

The whole subject reminds of listening to bunch of high-schoolers, hiding whisky in listerine bottles and creme de menthe in mouthwash bottles.

People smuggle liquor on board because they like to cheat the line.

They think that saving a few dollars justifies their not living up to the terms of the contract they entered into when they booked their passage.

I'm sure I'll get flamed as some sort of objectional character; but the plain fact is that people smuggle because they are self-absorbed and do not believe that rules they do not like should apply to them.

Self-absorption could also be defined as not being able to not make yourself the standard by which you must compare all things and all people to. It also could include, a person who never actually bothers to listen to or give legitimacy to what others have to say, feel or do.

You would think by reading these posts that you are now among the "Holy People".. Forget church today, I will just visit CC were the most moral people congregate. I feel so enlightened...

Amen Brother....is it time to pass the collection plate yet? Is it moral to take more food than you can actually eat from the buffet and simply throw away the leftovers when there are people starving somewhere.............

and if putting a bottle in my backpack, in plain view of the xray machine, is "smuggling" just call me Pirate Zacc!!

I have no problem paying the prices the ship charges. Those who consistently complain about drink prices must only drink at an old corner bar. They have obviously never drank at a nice club, or an entertainment venue, or certainly not an upscale restaurant. For those of us who do ship prices are anything but out of line. I pay less for a martini on Princess than I do at my nice local bars.

You would think by reading these posts that you are now among the "Holy People".. Forget church today, I will just visit CC were the most moral people congregate. I feel so enlightened...

I don't understand why people who say they are doing the right thing are being ridiculed.

I'm not taking sides. I find this a fascinating topic, but I would never dream of telling anybody else what to do. I don't smuggle booze for a few simple reasons - I would feel guilty breaking the rules, and I would be embarrassed if I was the one in line they caught. It's got nothing to do with morality as much as I just simply don't want to deal with guilt or embarrassment at the start of my beautiful cruise.

But I just don't get one thing - even if you do smuggle booze on a cruise, why on earth would you make fun of people for saying they don't break the rules?

Hog wash! I've seen lots of people who have onboard bills of less than $5 before the tips were added. I'll guarantee you that anyone that brings a bottle on board still buys drinks in bars and still orders wine with dinner. It's the non-drinkers they have to get the revenue from.

It is everywhere that they have to get revenue from.

Anything that impacts on their potential revenue has a detrimental effect on the costs, as it reduces the profitability of each sailing and has a knock on effect.

Based on their experience they will have a target income for each cabin on each grade of cabin AS AN AVERAGE. They know there are people who spend and people who don't but there is an average. Anything that impacts on that average, be it people who don't spend, or people who bring their own drink and thus reduce the potential cabin income impacts on that, and thus when they make their calculation the prices will invariably rise.

Anything that impacts on their potential revenue has a detrimental effect on the costs, as it reduces the profitability of each sailing and has a knock on effect.

Based on their experience they will have a target income for each cabin on each grade of cabin AS AN AVERAGE. They know there are people who spend and people who don't but there is an average. Anything that impacts on that average, be it people who don't spend, or people who bring their own drink and thus reduce the potential cabin income impacts on that, and thus when they make their calculation the prices will invariably rise.

I agree, they need income from all passengers...NCL actually did an interesting show on this lately. BUT... they know there's people that they'll never get revenue from so they go after the easy one's, the people that drink. When the tea totalling, non-shore excursion, non specialty restaurant people start paying their share, people can tell the booze smugglers that they're "stealing :rolleyes:" from the cruiseline. But believe me, we pay our fair share.

Don't know why it takes several pages to answer the OP's question.

Simple.

The reason why folks smuggle booze is they don't want to pay the price onboard for their drinks.

That's it in a nutshell.

No' date=' that's not "it". And that's why I asked the question...I had a suspicion there would be other reasons. [/color']

I mean, if you think about it, if we can all afford the luxury of taking a cruise we can all probably afford our bar tabs without smuggling at all.

We've gotten a few interesting answers other than price - such as the cruiseline doesn't carry their favorite drink (was it a specialty coconut rum?), or they didn't want to wait for a drink to come from room service, wanting to be spontaneous on the balcony or in the cabin getting ready for dinner, and not wanting to walk up to the bar. I think some people find the idea of doing something slightly naughty a little fun.

There is no right or wrong answer...it's just really interesting to see all the different points of view.

This reminds me - there is a show on TV (I think the Travel Channel...and it's being repeated a bunch) called Cruise, Inc. It's all about the business of running a cruise ship, and very interesting. They interview the people who come up with these sorts of averages and expectations, and how they come up with the numbers. If you get a chance, check it out.

This reminds me - there is a show on TV (I think the Travel Channel...and it's being repeated a bunch) called Cruise, Inc. It's all about the business of running a cruise ship, and very interesting. They interview the people who come up with these sorts of averages and expectations, and how they come up with the numbers. If you get a chance, check it out.

Would love to as this sort of thing interests me, but being as I am in London, I don't know when we will see it.

Do you smuggle booze onboard? If you do, why do you do it?

I know this sounds like a silly question - but I always think of the alcohol charges as a part of the cost of the cruise. I just wonder why so many people do it!

It's not a silly question, but it is a lightening rod that always generates a multitude of responses.

The people that choose to ridicule the OP or other posters are "trolls". They will launch some sort or personal attack and await the responses.

These are the same people that will cut you off in traffic, butt ahead of you in a line or "reserve" chairs on the pool decks. They are not at all concerned about you, what your opinions are or what you think or feel. It's all about them.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore them. It's not worth the aggravation and you will only encourage their juvenile behavior. Please don’t feed the trolls.

It's not a silly question, but it is a lightening rod that always generates a multitude of responses.

The people that choose to ridicule the OP or other posters are "trolls". They will launch some sort or personal attack and await the responses.

These are the same people that will cut you off in traffic, butt ahead of you in a line or "reserve" chairs on the pool decks. They are not at all concerned about you, what your opinions are or what you think or feel. It's all about them.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore them. It's not worth the aggravation and you will only encourage their juvenile behavior. Please don’t feed the trolls.

LOL...OK, I will ignore the trolls! But still, I'm glad I asked because I really did enjoy learning the thoughts behind the whole smuggling thing.

Simple.

The reason why folks smuggle booze is they don't want to pay the price onboard for their drinks.

That's it in a nutshell.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why people smuggle booze....... What are you trying to do a case study or write a dissertation. I' date=' like many others bring some liquor from home because we do not like paying $5 - $7 per beer, or $6 -$12 for a drink or glass of wine. It is also nobodys buisness so I don't see why anyone cares.[/size']

People don't sneak it aboard just to do something "naughty"..

Call me cheap or a troll but I like to tell it like it is.

Simple.

That's it in a nutshell.

Now you have gone and spoiled the whole thread!!!:D

----------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why people smuggle booze....... What are you trying to do a case study or write a dissertation. I, like many others bring some liquor from home because we do not like paying $5 - $7 per beer, or $6 -$12 for a drink or glass of wine. It is also nobodys buisness so I don't see why anyone cares.

People don't sneak it aboard just to do something "naughty"..

Call me cheap or a troll but I like to tell it like it is.

AHA! One of those Trolls I have heard so much about!

I am not here to change anybody's mind...I am just simply curious about why people do things. And if I were writing a dissertation you'd be an interesting chapter.

Simple.

That's it in a nutshell.

I agree G'ma with the exception of those that have a favorite that itsn't sold on the ship. One can purchase bottles of liquor or additional wine beyond what is allowed to be taken on board from the cruiseline for consumption in ones cabin but they are more expensive than what you can purchase them from at home or the nearby liquor store. But ya know what? Doesn't matter to me what everyone chooses to do. If the crusielines really wanted to crack down they could and they choose not to at this point. ;) For the record, I take one bottle of allowed champaigne to mix with the free orange juice in the morning to enjoy some momosa. Always take two allowed 6 packs of pepsi for our cabin. Sometimes we've taken a bottle of liquor in our checked luggage and sometimes we purchase a bottle of rum to be waiting in our cabin when we arrive. All depends on our mood.

Lets see I've gone from being cheap to having no morals to a smuggler and now you have me pegged for being a troll......a 700 plus post troll. And you say my behavior is juvenile! 22 posts and you have become a CC expert and the bestower of titles on others. A question was posed which many of us answered only to have you and several others question our ethics. Truth is what I choose to do, or anyone else for that matter, is my business. If you find it offensive......get over it....IMHO

Lets see I've gone from being cheap to having no morals to a smuggler and now you have me pegged for being a troll......a 700 plus post troll. And you say my behavior is juvenile! 22 posts and you have become a CC expert and the bestower of titles on others. A question was posed which many of us answered only to have you and several others question our ethics. Truth is what I choose to do, or anyone else for that matter, is my business. If you find it offensive......get over it....IMHO

Hey at least you haven't been called an alcoholic yet, that's usually found at least a few times in these types of threads ;)

I'll have to check this thread again as soon as I get back from AA.....lol

I keep thinking I should unsubscribe from this, but it's like watching a car wreck. I want to look away...but it keeps making me take just one more look. Just as interesting as the reasons people sneak booze onboard is the back and forth bickering that's going on now.

Over the years most of my posts here have been about specifics...usually to do with ports or ships, and maybe a roll call or two. This is the first time I have been in one of the famous flame throwing discussions. I had heard of such things going on, but never witnessed it firsthand.

I keep thinking I should unsubscribe from this, but it's like watching a car wreck. I want to look away...but it keeps making me take just one more look. Just as interesting as the reasons people sneak booze onboard is the back and forth bickering that's going on now.

Over the years most of my posts here have been about specifics...usually to do with ports or ships, and maybe a roll call or two. This is the first time I have been in one of the famous flame throwing discussions. I had heard of such things going on, but never witnessed it firsthand.

Quite honestly, this one's tame ;) Usually they're a lot uglier. I'm truly surprised AA hasn't been brought up by now.

Question for you though, are you surprised by some of the answers or was it pretty much what you expected?

Actually your question was a good one and for the most part have enjoyed reading the responses. Unfortunately some people can not allow individuals to simply answer a question. They must try to take the thread to a different level.....one of morality....right and wrong...etc. Many answered your question and whether someone agrees or disagrees with their reason the truth is it is their opinion. Some simply don't understand there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions and as a result cast stones. As a general rule I usually don't reply to such comments but every now and then you just have to add your two cents! So in the infamous words of some cartoon character somewhere in the world "Flame ON!!"

Quite honestly, this one's tame ;) Usually they're a lot uglier. I'm truly surprised AA hasn't been brought up by now.

Question for you though, are you surprised by some of the answers or was it pretty much what you expected?

To tell you the truth, I already knew a lot of people break the cruiseline rules by smuggling booze onboard, and I was just trying to figure out why. No reason other than curiosity.

If that is the only way someone could afford to drink on a cruise then it would be understandable. But I don't believe that's the case for anyone here.

I really had no idea so many people felt it's no big deal. Hearing that people assume the cruiseline must not mind at all, since they don't try harder to stop people was a real surprise. I bet they actually do try and security logistics, budgets and time restraints are the only reason some booze makes it through. That, and the ships that actually say they allow it, of course.

And this whole attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and it's none of your business" is something I didn't see coming. Usually when I join online discussions people feel free to discuss topics in depth, explaining their views without getting so ugly. But that's ok, no harm done.

I hope everybody has nice cruises, with lots of booze however you get it!

:D

People smuggle liquor on board because they like to cheat the line.

They think that saving a few dollars justifies their not living up to the terms of the contract they entered into when they booked their passage.

I'm sure I'll get flamed as some sort of objectional character; but the plain fact is that people smuggle because they are self-absorbed and do not believe that rules they do not like should apply to them.

Some people, observing the rules of the company they sail on, ( that some people who think they know it all don't seem to know about..) bring ( no smuggling at all) some special wines or champagnes that they prefer or that reminds them of a special moment or that was given to them to celebrate what they are going on the cruise for. They also can share a drink in a very civilized way wich is in no wa y related to "share hold up in our cabin sipping illicit booze!"

Archived