Odd Stroller question

I have read that people recommend bringing an umbrella stroller for a 3 year old and I would agree based on a trip we took a couple months ago to Disney with our 3 and 6yo. Now here’s the challenge, we are taking a cruise in November with our 3 and 6yo and our 3yo is as tall as and weights as much as our 6yo, 60+ lbs. I know that toward the end of the day he is going to get tired so does anyone know of an umbrella stroller that a 60+ lbs toddler will fit in?

thx

Maclaren Triumph, my SIL had one, her son was large for his age. Stroller is rated for 55 lbs but easily took both my sons (DS6 and DS4 sitting on his lap) totalling 70-75 lbs. Not sure I'd push it anywhere other than a smooth flat surface that much over limit, but it didn't seem to strain or bend.

Yes, hes a big boy. Im pretty sure there is football in his future.

I didnt think there was going to be a whole lot out there that would support that weight, but thats a good site. Thank you. Ill check it out tonight and see if there is anything close.

thx

Well, he was born in TX and his brother wasnt so maybe that explains why he is so much bigger.

Man, those strollers are a little pricy for one trip. I dont think it will get much use after this trip so he may have to suck it up and walk.

thx again

Maclaren Triumph, my SIL had one, her son was large for his age. Stroller is rated for 55 lbs but easily took both my sons (DS6 and DS4 sitting on his lap) totalling 70-75 lbs. Not sure I'd push it anywhere other than a smooth flat surface that much over limit, but it didn't seem to strain or bend.

I did this on both trips to Disney, and on the second trip the boys were 5 and 7 (about 75-80 lbs total). The stroller is still in great shape, though it did get a bit difficult to push on the cobblestone paths when fully loaded like this:rolleyes:.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend this arrangement for all day, but late at night when everyone is tired, it was great to have both kids riding along. A 63-lb child would be very comfortable in this stroller.

Man, those strollers are a little pricy for one trip. I dont think it will get much use after this trip so he may have to suck it up and walk.

Do you have craigslist.org in your area? You might be able to pick up a Combi or MacLaren stroller *used* for about half the price of new (or less, depending on the condition...).

Have to asked friends if you could borrow one for your trip or tried second hand stores or even craigslist? Another possibility is Freecycle. I hate to throw stuff away that still has some life in it so I post on Freecycle in my area. See if you can find one in your area, there are three close to me that are through Yahoo groups.

Im not bringing a stroller on our next cruise and mine are 8,4,2.

The shore excursions we are going on are not stroller friendly. And if the younger ones are tired then they go back to the cabin. I can handle them whining for that long and mine are still light enough to carry if absolutely necessary (my 4yo is 40lbs and the 2yo is 25lbs. We are strong folk).

I have a Zooper Twist that is also small and handles a higher weight limit. Even my 8 yo has sat in it (but hes short and only 45 lbs).

I do understand that strollers can be very useful on a cruise for younger kids but honestly, the way we cruise our kids really arent pushed to the limit of not being able to make it to the cabin at the end of the day.

Another thought would be to check out consignment shops or sales in your area. We are gearing up for our twice annual sale and there always seem to be some strollers there (even though it may not be the brand you want).

You can also start "training" both kids to walk a little more than usual in prep for the trip. We did this when we went to Disney (son was 7 and too big for strollers). We walked every day and tried to walk as many places as possible so he was more used to it. Also plan to take lots of breaks while out and about on the cruise. Refueling also helps (especially ice cream! )

Good Luck.

I agree - visit the seasonal consignment sales in your area. I did that and picked up a great, looked-like-new stroller for $7 two weeks ago and we took it with us on our recent cruise. I preferred using that to my $400 BOB stroller since we all know how airlines treat our strollers in baggage claim!

Definitely try the consignment or craig's list route. This is the time for seasonal private consignment sales - the big ones that last just 3-4 days, not the stores themselves.

I bought an Peg Perego Aria OH for my 3 year old boy last year for the sole purpose of travelling to Disney. It's awesome. It was $100.00, huge canopy on top and large basket below. He's only 35 lb., but very tall for his age. It's 10Lb and folds very small with a handle on the side for carrying. It would hold plenty of weight - I am guessing comfortably up to 75 lb. Lots of seat space and it reclines almost fully. Excellent all purpose, light weight stroller.

However, that said, I am not bringing a stroller for him for our cruise this winter. I feel the same as another poster. If he is exhausted, chances are, I or hubby could use a break too. We don't plan to go full out and I am afraid I would take the stroller and curse the fact that I did. He never uses it here at home now, so I don't expect he'll use it on a trip either (except of course a marathon Disney day or something)

Right now there are a lot of Baby Planet strollers being clearanced out. My 6-yo can still sit in one. They have a nice basket, a sun cover that can pull all the way down, they recline, and the endangered species line are adorable. They say they hold a child up to 65 lbs.

I have read that people recommend bringing an umbrella stroller for a 3 year old and I would agree based on a trip we took a couple months ago to Disney with our 3 and 6yo. Now here’s the challenge, we are taking a cruise in November with our 3 and 6yo and our 3yo is as tall as and weights as much as our 6yo, 60+ lbs. I know that toward the end of the day he is going to get tired so does anyone know of an umbrella stroller that a 60+ lbs toddler will fit in?

thx

Can you put him in a regular stroller (not umbrella). We used a regular stroller on our last cruise and it was not as much trouble as people say they are for us. Which cruise will you be on? We have 3 and 7 yr. olds and will be cruising out of TX the 1st week of November. Just wondered if yours is the same.

C. Anne

We use peg perego arias for my 2 kids, age 4 and 8 months. We also have a maclaren double but my 4 year-old who is very tiny (30#) barely fits, she is much more comfortable in the aria. We just bring both aria strollers onboard and only use both when in ports. The rest of the time my older one's stays in the closet.

That's one big three year old! My DD is ten and only weighs 63 pounds.

http://www.strollers.com/Umbrella-Strollers-C39373.html?refid=G11946.umbrella+stroller&gclid=CJ70hsvw8ZwCFSYoawodH1vbjw#1

Unfortunately, most of the cheaper strollers will not support a 60 pound child.

Be sure to check craigslist for the stroller.

LOTS of people are selling because of the economy and lots of people are NOT buying because of the economy. You might find a great deal on the stroller that you need.

Archived