euro travelers checks

Houston Pegaroo

Does anyone know where I can obtain euro travelers checks? We are doing 3 private tours with Rome in Limo and they only accept cash or euro travelers checks. We're trying to avoid carrying large sums of cash, especially since we'll be in pickpocket-ridden Spain for the week prior to the cruise, and can't debit enough daily from ATMs to cover the price of these tours along with other daily expenses. I have tried our local banks with no luck.

I had the same issue with three Rome-in-Limo ports this past summer. I searched pretty hard and never found a place in the Cleveland area that would provide euro travelers checks. I had the same concern about all the cash. I did two things, 1) along with the order I placed locally for my "walk around" euros, I also ordered 3-500euro bills, and 2) I wear a shirt that you can buy from any of the online "travel" companies that has a secret zippered pocket behind the buttoned breast pocket. It was a very secure place to carry the money where nobody could notice!! It worked great. And, the large denominations cut down on the size of the "wad!!'

I have found that if you ask the branch manager at your bank, they will tell you that they can get Euro travelers checks in 3 to 5 business days. If you go to a teller or the front office of the bank, they will say "we dont have those".

If you have an AmEx card, call them and they can send you the Euro traveler's checks via FedEx.

I too was searching and comparing prices quite recently. As a matter of fact, I just signed for the FedEx package this morning. My bank also could NOT get traveler's checks in euros. With the US dollar falling, I'm also thinking it's wise to do the change over NOW, for at least some of my money.

Anyhow, I ended up ordering for our whole group through Wells Fargo's online exchange. I know them, they're a well known bank, their rates were only about 6cents on the dollar over the current rate (changes daily) and the $8 shipping fee was mitigated across the four of us in our group.

You can also get Euros from them. They charge the same for Euros cash or euros travelers checks (and yes they are AmEx travelers checks) and they do not charge you extra to use a credit card (if you're not a bank member). I placed the order Friday... first attempted delivery was Monday. That's good turn around to me!

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/cfx/cfx/

You can also get there from their main site (to prove it's really them... )

https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/international/faq - look within #4 is the link.

Hope my searching helps someone else too.

Judy C.

Thanks to all for help re: euro travelers checks. I was able to obtain them through Wells Fargo along with euro currency also. I ordered by phone today and they will be Fed Ex. delivered on Tues. $6.50 shipping fee plus 1.5 percent fee just on trav. check amt.

Glad you found an answer.

Enjoy your trip!

Pam

Thanks to all for help re: euro travelers checks. I was able to obtain them through Wells Fargo along with euro currency also. I ordered by phone today and they will be Fed Ex. delivered on Tues. $6.50 shipping fee plus 1.5 percent fee just on trav. check amt.

If you have travellers cheques left over after your tours, it can work well to cash them on the ship. Most other places will charge you to cash them - sometimes quite a hefty charge. At the purser's desk, they may be able to just cash them without charge and give you Euros. This may not work for all cruise lines, though - I have heard stories of some cruise lines cashing the cheques, changing the money to dollars and then changing it back to Euros.

Lisa

You also said that you could not use your ATM card for that large a withdrawal. While at home doing everyday tasks, we keep our daily ATM withdrawal amount fairly small (around $300). Before we went to Europe we had the bank increase our daily withdrawal amount and also notified them that we would be using our ATM/Debit cards in Europe. We also gave them a start and end time frame of when we would use them. Be sure to notify your credit card company as well if you plan to use the credit card in Europe.

Most vendors will not take a Traveler's check. The driver service we use in Europe said they would not take them either - it's cash only. Carnival did say that the ship would cash these on board and you can go to a bank in port to cash them.

I agree about taking a few larger euro bills and tucking them away until needed, but we also take some small ones and then get some coins along the way for the bathrooms and tips.

I was gone a month in Europe this past summer and always used an ATM. I would think, if you have a limit, then budget your withdrawls over a couple days?? This is the best exchange and most convenient. NCL would not cash anything or even give change for anything other than US money. All "exchanges" had a $10 fee. RCI, didn't have a fee, but a very poor exchange.

I was using both pounds and euros with never any concern.

I was gone a month in Europe this past summer and always used an ATM. I would think, if you have a limit, then budget your withdrawls over a couple days?? This is the best exchange and most convenient. NCL would not cash anything or even give change for anything other than US money. All "exchanges" had a $10 fee. RCI, didn't have a fee, but a very poor exchange.

I was using both pounds and euros with never any concern.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are aware of the general problems with using travelers checks in Europe. We only obtained an amount sufficient to cover Rome in Limo tours. This company specifically states that they will accept t.c. in euros. The tours are 500 euros each plus 100 and 150 for guides, and we are doing tours with them three consecutive days. In order to cover our other daily expenses through ATM withdrawals it wasn't an option for us to withdraw enough and stockpile to cover these tours. We will check with the bank regarding raising the daily withdrawal limit. The Wells Fargo arrangement worked well. I ordered late afternoon on Thurs. and they were delivered on Monday morning.

Archived