My last name is hyphenated and no passport

manchak99

i don't have a passport for the upcoming 9/26 cruise to Bermuda.

i have a birth cert and a marriage certificate (that shows my maiden name and my husband's name). my DL has the hyphenated name.

will i encounter problems? this IS what they told me to bring on RCCL's site if no passport (not even a mention on the marriage cert but thought i'd bring it just in case).

getting nervous now that i'll have an issue.....it is a HYPHENATED name so they can at least see where i got the two names by the id's!

Just PLEASE make sure you are in possession of ORIGINAL STAMPED documents. The birth certificate, not birth record. You should be fine but when you fall in love with cruising after this trip, please do yourself a favor and get a passport for the next time. It's much easier. Oh yeah, enjoy your trip ... you should have a ball ;)

Your cruise documents and your airline ticket must have the exact same name as on your photo ID. If not, you won't be able to board the plane, if you're flying to the port. A new rule just went into effect two weeks ago that the name you show security at the airport much exactly match the name on either your passport or your photo ID, which in your case is the driver's license.

The TSA has a program called Secure Flight. Under the program, the name on the airline ticket must match the government issued ID exactly. It is being phased in at this time. The web site is: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight

As for the OP, if your name on your state/county issued BC is not the same as on your government issued ID (DL in this case), you had better be prepared to offer state issued documents to reconcile the difference. The ICE officer at the port may or may not accept your verbal answers. Until (s)he is satisfied that all documents are in order and allows you to reenter the USA, you are considered an alien with little rights. Taking your state issued marriage license along is a really excellent idea.

In the future I would recommend getting a passport. They are good for 10 years (adults) and there will be no questions asked by any foreign or domestic government as to ID. Passports are recognized all over our globe as the only legal proof of citizenship for visiting foreign nations.

No married woman's birth certificate will show her "married" name....so it doesn't matter! I never, ever take my marriage license with me...it's not necessary.

Not until they ask you for some proof of why the name is different....it will be necessary then.

It's the law!! Just because they don't always ask doesn't mean they can't ask....and doesn't mean you are exempt from the I.D. rules, laws and requirements.

This information can be found on the U.S. State Department/Homeland Security Website. They can require PROOF at any time.

Archived