Santorini Tour Advice for Celebrity Solstice

sjnhamil

I'm a cruise newbie, traveling on the Solstice on the Oct.8 Mediterranean trip.

My companions and I are planning to stick to the ship-sponsored tours, for the most part.

I'm having a terrible time choosing between two options in Santorini--the "Village of Oia and Santorini Island" tour (dock in Athinios, tour the island by bus, walk through Oia, have mezes and wine, and end at Fira) and the "Volcano Hot Springs" tour (hike up the Nea Kameni volcano, sail to Palea Kameni and swim in the hot mineral springs).

On one hand, swimming in the mediterranean sounds wonderful--a chance of a lifetime--but all I've read says Oia is a "don't miss" town. I don't think the timing of the tours would allow for us to do both, even if we tried to go to Oia on our own. I'd be afraid I'd be cutting the time too close with the need to get down on the cable car.

And while I'm asking, just how strenuous is the volcano hike? I've seen mixed opinions.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?!

Thanks!

The volcano isn't too strenuous for a fairly fit person, - my husband's done it twice, whereas I've only been 1/2 way, but that's because of the heat and no shade. Take water, and an umbrella for shade.

The swimming is in hot springs from under the sea. You'll need to have your costume on, or be adept at changing under a towel if it's on the normal type of boat going there. You have to go down a ladder or jump from the boat. This may be different if you're on a private tour.

If you go on the tour from Athinios, you'll have an excellent view of the island, as this is virtually the only road up the cliff on that side.

BTW, we're in our mid 60s, and whilst DH found both walking and swimming to be great fun, I am happy enough sitting on the boat. - jocap.

I'm a cruise newbie, traveling on the Solstice on the Oct.8 Mediterranean trip.

My companions and I are planning to stick to the ship-sponsored tours, for the most part.

I'm having a terrible time choosing between two options in Santorini--the "Village of Oia and Santorini Island" tour (dock in Athinios, tour the island by bus, walk through Oia, have mezes and wine, and end at Fira) and the "Volcano Hot Springs" tour (hike up the Nea Kameni volcano, sail to Palea Kameni and swim in the hot mineral springs).

On one hand, swimming in the mediterranean sounds wonderful--a chance of a lifetime--but all I've read says Oia is a "don't miss" town. I don't think the timing of the tours would allow for us to do both, even if we tried to go to Oia on our own. I'd be afraid I'd be cutting the time too close with the need to get down on the cable car.

And while I'm asking, just how strenuous is the volcano hike? I've seen mixed opinions.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?!

Thanks!

I suppose it depends on what you like but personally, I would not have missed Oia for the world!!! It was my dream destination and I was not disappointed. We also toured around the island in a rental car with another couple who we met on the ship. Some of our ship friends did a swim and volcano visit and all I can say is there photos are not a patch on how spectacular ours are!!

For a first visit to Santorini the excursion is a good idea - it's what we did on our first visit on Galaxy a few years ago. There are several advantages:-

a) you get tendered into a different port (Athinios) where there is a road down to the dock. It's narrow & twisty but they can get (small) buses down there for the excursions. If you just go ashore on your own you've got to grapple with the cable-car up to Fira/Thira town (there's no road down at that spot) and the queues for the cablecar can be very lengthy;

b) you'll get a good overview of the island. The highlight is the time in Oia, of course; when we did this excursion in 2006 we were taken there first, before it got too busy and it was very quiet and beautiful;

c) at the end of the excursion you get dropped off in Fira town, and given a ticket for the cable-car ride down to the dock. But before you go down ou can some time in Fira town walking & shopping, and maybe have a meal/drink in one of the many caldera-edge restaurants/bars.

Of course, the disadvantage of an excursion is that you can't change plans if the fancy takes you: no matter how beautiful you might think Oia is, when the tour guide says 'back on the bus!', that's what you have to do....

One thing about the volcano visit: I don't know if you realise this, but it's not on the main island. Instead you visit a small island in the middle of the caldera where the next volcano top is already growing, and that's where you climb to the top (not that high) and get to swim in the warm water. I haven't done it, but those who have say that it's OK, quite interesting, but can also be very hot (no shade on the small island at all), smelly (volcanic gases) and dirty - don't wear a good swimsuit, they can get stained.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at on-line maps of Santorini - you'll understand the whole 'caldera' thing when you do.

Thanks, everyone for your advice and opinions. It's all very helpful! It's so hard to choose when you want to see it all.

In the end, I have decided to take the tour of Oia, and my friend is sticking to the volcano trip. I'm sure we'll both be happy--although I know she would be happy if I could find her someone to go with her. I posted on the board for our cruise, so we'll see if anyone answers.

And clearly, we'll just have to hope that the travel gods allow us to come back again someday and do the rest....

Julia

Yes, I saw a water taxi when we got off the tender that indicated that he went to Oia. We did not use it, but we saw it. It did not seem like anything very fancy and I did not see a schedule, just a sign on the boat. My wife and road the cable car and took the public bus to Oia. It was easy and cheap. The bus was 1.4 Euro and the Cable car was 4 Euro each way.

One of the highlights of our cruise. Oia is a great place to wonder around, enjoy the views, and take pictures. We purchase a small painting to help us remember the day.

Yes, I saw a water taxi when we got off the tender that indicated that he went to Oia. We did not use it, but we saw it. It did not seem like anything very fancy and I did not see a schedule, just a sign on the boat. My wife and road the cable car and took the public bus to Oia. It was easy and cheap. The bus was 1.4 Euro and the Cable car was 4 Euro each way.

One of the highlights of our cruise. Oia is a great place to wonder around, enjoy the views, and take pictures. We purchase a small painting to help us remember the day.

Thanks

Archived