Best non-stop flight to Rome?

bigreckster

We are flying from NJ and have choices of Newark or Phila. via Continental, US Air or AL Atalia (which we've heard various negatives about)...any advice based on your recent experiences. We don't want to travel from JFK and are equa-distant from Newark and Phila....a non-stop is a must!

I recommend Alitalia.

Actually I would recommend any mayor European airline over any American airlines because of the worse and worse getting policies and service of the American ones.

For example Continental does charge $ 50 for ones second bag. Of course it is free with Alitalia. Something not unimportant when flying to a cruise.

Likewise alcoholic beverages, wines as well as spirits, are included with European Airlines while some American airlines even attempted to charge for food on long haul flights.

Of course Alitalia has had a lot of financial instability. Check carefully into their current status if you are considering flying them, especially if you are booking your tickets far in advance.

Last November, I met some folks on my flight to Rome last year that had originally booked Alitalia, then got so panicked at their situation (daily updates on whether or not the company was going to continue to operate; no cash reserves, etc) that they ended up buying another set of tickets on Delta. Turns out Alitalia kept operating, but they didn't want to miss their trip. Oy!

For example Continental does charge $ 50 for ones second bag. Of course it is free with Alitalia. Something not unimportant when flying to a cruise.

Likewise alcoholic beverages, wines as well as spirits, are included with European Airlines while some American airlines even attempted to charge for food on long haul flights.

Carlmm, is that a new Continental fee? We flew Continental from Cincinnati to Newark and then overnight to Athens in June, and there was no second bag fee because it was an international flight. We were very pleased with Continental. The previous September we flew US Air from Philadelphia to Frankfurt overnight, and that also was a fine flight with no extra luggage fees.

My only caution about USAIR would be if they are still being forced to use the auxillary terminal at Rome (FCO). This terminal is a pain since you had to be bused to the small old building (with your luggage) , check-in for your flight and check your luggage, wait in that old terminal, than clear immigration, and than finally be bussed back to the secure part of the main terminal where you would wait for your flight. We do not know if they still use this procedure, but it sure made a simple process very complex.

Hank

My only caution about USAIR would be if they are still being forced to use the auxillary terminal at Rome (FCO). This terminal is a pain since you had to be bused to the small old building (with your luggage) , check-in for your flight and check your luggage, wait in that old terminal, than clear immigration, and than finally be bussed back to the secure part of the main terminal where you would wait for your flight. We do not know if they still use this procedure, but it sure made a simple process very complex.

Hank

We flew USAir from Phila. to Rome and back last year in late Sept. and early Oct. I don't remember any problems. We were in a regular modern terminal.

As stated U.S.Air is in the newer international terminal connected to the older terminals by a two minute rail ride. You clear immigration in the new terminal take the rail to the older terminal to baggage claim. Very smooth and belive it or not efficient - until you get to baggage claim which can be slower than molasses in January.

I'm a regular at EWR and I almost always fly Continental. I can't remember the last time I had a satisfactory flight on AlItalia. The planes in recent years have been old and poorly maintained. Don't even get me started on the attitude of the employees.

Continental, while often more expensive than AlItalia, has new, clean planes and pleasant employees. Both attribues weigh heavier in the decision for me on a transatlantic flight than they do for shorter hops at home.

Carlmm, is that a new Continental fee?

Yes, it is. The fees are applicable for tickets purchased on or after Aug. 27, 2009 for travel on or after Sept. 15, 2009.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/check.aspx

Unfortunately some airlines make travelling more and more uncomfortable and we as customers do not get the service anymore which was absolutely normal just "yesterday".

Yes, it is. The fees are applicable for tickets purchased on or after Aug. 27, 2009 for travel on or after Sept. 15, 2009.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/check.aspx

Unfortunately some airlines make travelling more and more uncomfortable and we as customers do not get the service anymore which was absolutely normal just "yesterday".

Very discouraging news; thanks for responding.

Archived