How dressy are the formal Nights?

SuJoy

lthough I do contend that no question is a bad questio - this one comes close - you are going to get a gazillion different answers. I would suggest you go to princess.com and download the "ANSWER BOOK" It spells out their dress code very explicitly, although many people interpret it in various forms.

Ron

It also depends on the ship and the itinerary. We were just on the Tahitian Princess for a 36 night b2b transatlantic cruise. The Princess Patter said coat and tie were required on formal nights. I did not see anyone without them at dinner. I don't know if the Maitre 'd turned people away or if everyone just knew to dress properly.

It also depends on the ship and the itinerary. We were just on the Tahitian Princess for a 36 night b2b transatlantic cruise. The Princess Patter said coat and tie were required on formal nights. I did not see anyone without them at dinner. I don't know if the Maitre 'd turned people away or if everyone just knew to dress properly.

There are some that profess that you do not need to be attired with a tie and jacket on any ship on the Princess line. I don't know how they know that if they are not on all of the sailings and all 18 ships simultaneously. I go by the Princess Answer Book and am quite comfortable and always am seated with pax dressed accordingly.

Ron

There are some that profess that you do not need to be attired with a tie and jacket on any ship on the Princess line. I don't know how they know that if they are not on all of the sailings and all 18 ships simultaneously. I go by the Princess Answer Book and am quite comfortable and always am seated with pax dressed accordingly.

Ron

My tuxedo would be very upset if I left it home. :)

You will see people extremely dressed up and people who are not so dressed up. There is such a range of attire, that you will likely find someone else dressed similar to you no matter what you are wearing. I always end up dressing up way more than my husband. He used to wear a tux but now he just wears a suit and tie. I still wear sparkly tops just because I think it is fun even if we don't "match".

lthough I do contend that no question is a bad questio - this one comes close - you are going to get a gazillion different answers. I would suggest you go to princess.com and download the "ANSWER BOOK" It spells out their dress code very explicitly, although many people interpret it in various forms.

Ron

Ron-Sorry for the almost bad question! I am looking forward to the gazillion answers!

You will see people extremely dressed up and people who are not so dressed up. There is such a range of attire, that you will likely find someone else dressed similar to you no matter what you are wearing. I always end up dressing up way more than my husband. He used to wear a tux but now he just wears a suit and tie. I still wear sparkly tops just because I think it is fun even if we don't "match".

Thank you, Linda.

SuJoy

I love the Princess line since even on formal mights when most people get dressed up (even if they are forced to by their spouses) you can still bend their suggested rules a bit & just dine in a shirt without a tie. Sometimes they might ask for a jacket if you have on a short sleeve shirt, but it can be hung from you chair & turns the evening into another casual event. Their attitude towards the formal evenings makes for an enjoyable evening for both the formalists & others.

My feeling -- You can never be overdressed! Most evenings on Princess are "Resort casual" which (to me means) what you would wear on a casual evening at a nice resort-- or what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home. ;)

If I want to wear jeans, I can always go to the buffet -- if I want to slouch in my sweats I can order room service.

BUT-- if I want to enjoy a wonderful meal with great dinner companions and look good I try to dress up a bit. I usually wear a skirt or dress (sometimes good looking pants) and DH wears slacks or dockers and a shirt with a collar (once in awhile he even puts on a jacket. :)

On formal nights, we dress formally--tux for him, gown or cocktail dress for me. How often do you get to enjoy such a luxury evening?:o

I have never been on a 5* ship. Just wondering about the formal nights. How formal are they or is ther any differnce from a 3* ships formal night? Thanks for your info.
As has been said, most passengers follow the suggested dress code. Yes, there are a few who are under-dressed but they are in the minority. Women are in long or cocktail dresses, men in tuxedos or dark suits. That's pretty much it.

The time I talked DH into a Caribbean cruise I wore a slinky, knit floor length "tank" dress with glitzy jacket and he wore a black double breasted suit with white shirt and bow tie. We felt "perfect". I mostly cruise with girlfriends and have started wearing the same kind of knit in black pants with tank and I bring a couple different glitzy jackets, so I don't look the same for each formal night (not that anyone would notice but I would know)! I feel just as appropriate in the pants as the dress. When I had 3 formal nights I had 3 different jackets. Those slinky knits are wrinkle free and easy to pack taking up very little room (and that is not because I am a small person!)

Ron-Sorry for the almost bad question! I am looking forward to the gazillion answers!

Good for you;)

On both Sapphire and Golden, the passengers dressed quiet lovely.

On Golden I saw few tuxedos, more suites or jackets, a few with nice shirts without tie. There were few with only a shirt and tie but like my DH the jacket could have been placed on the back of the chair. I did take a moment to observe, just for observation purposes. The ladies were lovely ranging from a cocktail dresses to gowns.

Good for you;)

On both Sapphire and Golden, the passengers dressed quiet lovely.

On Golden I saw few tuxedos, more suites or jackets, a few with nice shirts without tie. There were few with only a shirt and tie but like my DH the jacket could have been placed on the back of the chair. I did take a moment to observe, just for observation purposes. The ladies were lovely ranging from a cocktail dresses to gowns.

Great photos! Great Family! Thank you. SuJoy

My tuxedo would be very upset if I left it home. :)

Ah but Paul, if you're on an extended voyage you don't need to bring your tux, as you can rent one.

I'n doing the 30 day Star SYD/LAX in Oct and rented mine through Cruiselineformals. black jacket, black pants, cumberbund, bow tie, studs, 2 white wing collar shirts and cufflinks for USD$96. With 5 formal nights, USD$19 per formal night is a damn good deal you must admit.

Might throw my white dinner jacket in, to give some variation in the formal wear.

Ciao for now!!

How often do you get to enjoy such a luxury evening?:o

Wow, each anniversary, birthday, date night, Christmas party, weddings, church functions and plays. We are surrounded by opportunities to enjoy a luxury evening. Wow, I can't imagine waiting for a cruise for this to happen:o Formal night is nice but nothing really special about it execpt for photos compare to the anniversary or date night....JMOP

I have seen all sorts of attire on formal night. One can follow the suggested code or one can thumb their nose at it. It kind of depends on whether one minds disapproving glances and whispered comments.

Most are aboard to enjoy a vacation and have a good time. Frankly anyone who would stare at others for the way they are dressed or worse yet talk behind their backs have little minds and deserve to be ignored. I wonder how they will react to the different cultures represented aboard. Probably the same little minded responses. Let them sneer and whisper. Simply ignore them and have a good time on your cruise. Remember you probably will never see them again.

HI There

My husband and myself went on our first cruise last month on the Grand Princess, he just took a suit.....bad mistake, he felt a little uncomfortable at dinner, def in the minority by far everone was in a tux, so much so that he hired one for the next formal night!

I did find things very different on non formal night i.e. some people very casual day wear etc, I was suprised. I love dressing up, so wore a dress every night, tried to wear something extra special for the formal nights. But really it's up to the individual and whatever they feel comfortable with.

We are off on the emerald on 18 Oct and hubby's gone and bought a tux now and I've splurged on a Jovani dress.

Hope you have a wonderfull trip

Ali x

Archived