Athens, Acropolis, walking for COPD husband

Bevvie24

We want to see the Acropolis but husband does have breathing problems which are worse going up steps.

I think I've read somewhere that a taxis can take you up a back way closer to the Acropolis with fewer steps.

Anyone know if this is true?

A taxi can take you up as far as the ticket booth at the entrance. This will save you from walking up steps from Plaka at the bottom and up the road that is a gentle slope..... but even after purchasing tickets there is still alot of steps. You can take it slow...... probably will since there are usually tons of people and it doesnt move too fast anyway......

but another factor you may not have thought about is the smog in Athens. I had a real bad head cold by the time we got there and found the smog to really get to me as far as breathing...... We actually cut short our day after visiting the Acropolis and having lunch in the Plaka.... went back down the Monistriki square and caught a taxi back to the ship. Unbeknownst to us - the taxi did not have air conditioning and instead ~ open windows...... allowing all the street smog in while we were stuck in traffic :eek: By the time I got back to ship all I did was shower, take a big swig of Nyquil and sleep all afternoon.

So if smog is a factor you may want to consider a private tour - one with A/C and that will also allow you to control your day alot better. I wish we had done that. Just a suggestion.

Yes, taxis will drop you off up the hill near the place where you pay your admission charge. But, there is still a significant walk up the rest of the hill to the site and then up the stairs into the site. And, a fair amount of walking around the Parthenon itself. It's not difficult at all for one in reasonably good health ... not sure how it will be for your DH!

I also believe there is a handicapped elevator as well. Taxi's will also stop at the bottom and let you just take photos. There are small vendors and stalls near there too. Then you can have the same taxi take you to the Plaka where it is flat. I am not sure if I had COPD I would climb up to the top, even from the short side.

I also believe there is a handicapped elevator as well. Taxi's will also stop at the bottom and let you just take photos. There are small vendors and stalls near there too. Then you can have the same taxi take you to the Plaka where it is flat. I am not sure if I had COPD I would climb up to the top, even from the short side.

There indeed is a handicapped elevator, but you have to arrange to use it ahead of time. If you run a search, I posted the telephone number to call on these boards just last week, which I copied from a posting by the local Destination Experts on the Athens forum of sister website tripadvisor.

There is indeed an elevator. There was a picture posted on a couple of other threads........it said more than words could. But lets just say I would use the term "elevator" loosely........ it looked SCARY ! But I guess if you were determined to get to the top and can't walk it - it would be an option.

The three folks in our group did not have advanced reservations. They took their doctor's note and hopped right on.

Thanks for this excellent information. That's really good to know! I apologize for passing on incorrect information from the tripadvisor website!

Thanks for this excellent information. That's really good to know! I apologize for passing on incorrect information from the tripadvisor website!

But you know, sometimes the rules change daily, or depend upon who is working that day! What works for one person, will not necessarily work for another.

But you know, sometimes the rules change daily, or depend upon who is working that day! What works for one person, will not necessarily work for another.

Well, the Athenian regulars state that booking ahead still is recommended because if you do you can rest assured that someone is there to admit you to the elevator, that it is in good working order, etc.

I guess that some are a little leery regarding government-administered institutions.

Archived