Lots of Questions about Life Onboard!

twoatsea

DH & I will be on the QM2 TA on Nov 5, 2009; NY to Soton. Right now we are assigned a B1 balcony guarantee. We have cruised before, but not on Cunard. In order to properly prepare for this cruise, we only really need the answers to a couple of these quesitons; rest will be answered onboard. However, for those, it's just fun to know now.

Here goes..........

1. Is there a deck that loops around the ship that can be used for walking exercises?

2. Do all cabins have 110 voltage electrical outlets?

3. Is there early disembarkation for those who are able to haul their own luggage? If not, how will our disembarkation time be assigned - cabin category, air departure time, ? We plan on hiring a private car service & our flight time is 14:05 from Gatwick on BA.

4. On the Cunard site, it reads that reservations are needed for the dinner buffet in Kings Court. How far in advance must we make reservations? Is there a way for us to see that night's dining room menu & the buffet menu prior to the required reservation making time?

5. Am I correct to assume that on formal nights, we are not required to dress formally at the buffet?

6. We booked directly with Cunard & I was told that complimentary soft drinks are served with dinner. Is this correct? Not mentioned under Cunard's FAQs. Is that also true for dinner in the Kings Court buffet?

7. Does anyone know the times of the Kings Court buffet for breakfast & lunch?

8. Waitlisting a cabin - currently we have a B1 guarantee. Any advice on how to get the option of selecting a specific cabin #, or do have to wait for pot luck? We really don't want on the bow & prefer not to be on the aft - like midship.

9. Upgrade fairy for the guarantee - any tricks to this? For instance, if we get a guarantee on some categories we will probably be upgraded outside of our cabin type - such as, from Britannia to Britannia Club, etc.?

10. Comp washers & dryers - I have some travel laundry products, but is the laundry soap provided also? Are these appliances usually unavailable or require a long wait?

Warned you I have lots of questions!

I'm so glad the tips are auto added - makes it so much more civilized! Wish all cruiselines would do that - as long as the service warrants such.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes deck 7.

2. Yes

3. Yes, there's early self-help disembarkation at 7.00am. Otherwise there's disembarkation from the Grills first and then from the top down. Last is deck 4 at 10.15am.

4. Phone Kings Court first thing in the morning for that day's evening meal. You can see the menu on a stand outside the Kings Court.

5. Correct.

6. I think you have to pay for soft drinks in the Britannia restaurant. In the buffet in Kings Court there's free orange juice, cranberry juice, lemonade, and tea & coffee.

7. King's Court Buffet lunch times are different for each section. One starts at 11.00am and the last finishes at 3.00pm.

10. Yes there's laundry soap provide and there's a laundry on most decks.

To plug the gaps, or offer a different view.....

6 - All drinks bar tap water are chargeable. Tap water appears, from recent reports, to be less freely available. If you want it - ask with a smile and you'll get it.

8 - You have no control at all on your cabin with a guarantee. All they tell you is that will be at least a B1. If you want a specific cabin, then don't book a guarantee. It may be possible to select a midships cabin now - it depends on inventory. Don't, please, count on it.

9 - The Upgrade Fairy is mercurial and cannot be predicted.

10 - You're on holiday for heavens sake. Send it to the Laundry!

Thanks all. Great info pb82; appreciate that.

RE the guarantee, we understand what a guarantee is & in the past have never booked one. However, this trip was a last minute whim & Cunard has waitlisted everything except the Q1 & 2 & we wouldn't pay that amount just to chose a cabin (besides they are aft!).

So we put ourselves on the waitlist for everything from inside thru the balconies. A few days later, we got offered & we accepted an assigned inside cabin - midship - at least we are on the ship! Today we were offered a B1 guarantee or keep the inside - seemed like a no-brainer to us, even though we don't like guarantees. However, I did keep us on the waitlist for all of the other balconies, even though they are lower in category & price, hoping for a cabin choice. So.....

my question is "Waitlisting a cabin" - "Any advice on how to get the option of selecting a specific cabin #". We are not familiar with waitlisting, have not been on Cunard, & do not know exactly how Cunard's waitlisting procedure operates. We also realize that answers vary by employee.

So, just thought/hoped maybe CC Cunard folks would know the key to waitlisting for an assigned cabin # or does no such thing exist??

Thanks again

dogsdogs, I did go to the Immigration Form section of the Cunard site & it shows category B1, but no cabin assignment. But, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep an eye on it.

We did request a table for 2 & early dining. I noticed on our reservation at the Cunard website, it reads, "dining request confirmed" - is that for both the table & the time or just the time?

Anyone have any thoughts about the chances of getting a table for 2? On other cruiselines, we've not had a lot of luck with that.

We did request a table for 2 & early dining. I noticed on our reservation at the Cunard website, it reads, "dining request confirmed" - is that for both the table & the time or just the time?

Anyone have any thoughts about the chances of getting a table for 2? On other cruiselines, we've not had a lot of luck with that.

First, they absolutely have tables for two.

We found that 'dining request confirmed' only meant our seating time, not our table request. We had also asked for a table for 2 but got one for 4.

My advice, check out your table when you first come aboard, I mean literally, go into the dining room and find it before dinner.

We did, saw it was a table for 4 and went to the matre d', they said they couldn't do anything for us, but would put us on the list for a table for 2.

Time past, no table for 2 so I went again, was very nice but said we really would like a table for 2...the matre d' took out a seating chart and drew a new table on the chart with the number 400.

Later at dinner...sure enough there was a table for 2 with the number 400 (totally out of sequence with the neighboring numbers).

We were on a 23 day cruise, so they may have taken pitty on us but we were very happy with the table location.

In the UK the wait list simply doesn't work. I've been waitlisted for cabins but been able to book from the website, or via an agent, but never heard further of the waitlist - although we don't have to deposit for it.

I'm not sure about the US, although believe it isn't much better.

As for dining assignments - these are done on board, so you cannot guarantee anything until you are on board. Which is why it should be your first job to check the dining card.

To Answer Your Question.......

DH & I will be on the QM2 TA on Nov 5, 2009; NY to Soton. Right now we are assigned a B1 balcony guarantee. We have cruised before, but not on Cunard. In order to properly prepare for this cruise, we only really need the answers to a couple of these quesitons; rest will be answered onboard. However, for those, it's just fun to know now.

Here goes..........

1. Is there a deck that loops around the ship that can be used for walking exercises?

Yes, Deck 7 - Promenade Deck. Quite a length to walk. 3x's around=Approx. 1mile distance.

You can also use a shorter route with stairs as a stress adder - Deck 12 to Deck 13 and back to Deck 12. The upper deck that has a shorter loop and also 2 stairs to an observation/sun deck to the front and around. What a view you can see while this short type of walk.

2. Do all cabins have 110 voltage electrical outlets?

Yes, we do use for shaver, hair dryers and also chargers for cameras etc.... We even take a short extension cord or three way adaptor to add additional items to use. We have found it safe.

3. Is there early disembarkation for those who are able to haul their own luggage? If not, how will our disembarkation time be assigned - cabin category, air departure time, ? We plan on hiring a private car service & our flight time is 14:05 from Gatwick on BA.

In General, there is an Self Express Disembarkation that you need to register with the Front Deck on Deck 2 - Grand Lobby by the day before landing.

If you decide to stay onboard to disembark, they assign times by the color tags which is attached to the luggage, left in your cabin the day before you land. They are assigned thru a pre-disembarkation survey left in your cabins days before your final day. They are assigned if you are getting off with all the passengers, by the deck your cabin is on, if you have personal arranged transportation at a particular time, flights at airports, etc... You will hear on the final morning, once the ship is cleared, the Cruise Director calling out the Color Code (deck or arranged transportation) at assigned times.

4. On the Cunard site, it reads that reservations are needed for the dinner buffet in Kings Court. How far in advance must we make reservations? Is there a way for us to see that night's dining room menu & the buffet menu prior to the required reservation making time?

Several of the Kings Court sections (either Lotus, Chef Gallery, Carvery or La Piazza) will offer an Adult Dining type of menu each night. It will be found in the Daily Programme they will left around 8PM in your cabin, the night before. Reservations are needed to secure a table.

5. Am I correct to assume that on formal nights, we are not required to dress formally at the buffet?

You are strongly suggested to abide by the dress code of the day (evening) as it will affect the tone of the evening thru out the ship even in the Kings Court. You have to remember, you will be walking thru out the ship from your cabin to get to the Kings Court and to all the other entertainment activities offered that night. I can not describe the wonderful feeling seeing everyone especially on Formal Nite walking thru out the ship.

6. We booked directly with Cunard & I was told that complimentary soft drinks are served with dinner. Is this correct? Not mentioned under Cunard's FAQs. Is that also true for dinner in the Kings Court buffet?

You will be offered shipboard water, ice tea and hot drinks that are comp. Special waters (ex. Evian) will be charged to your shipboard acct thru Bar Service. Soft drinks (sodas) are also a bar charge as are liquor and wines. This is true thru out the ship at any resturant, buffet or inside/outside bar.

Bar service is also available in the Kings Court during the lunch time as in the regular restaurants.

7. Does anyone know the times of the Kings Court buffet for breakfast & lunch?

As they will take alot of space to post these times here, they can also be found on the rear of the Daily Programme. They also alter the times depending on the time you arrive and also remain in a particular Port of Call.

On a beautiful day outside, don't forget to try the Boardwalk Cafe, Deck 12 - Rear. It is like eating a Picnic Lunch outside. You will enter the Cafe - Buffet and take the food outside and eat on Picnic Tables setup. Yes, Picnic Table on the QM2!

But don't forget to try (inside) the Golden Lion Pub for pub type of food (Fish & Chips, Steak & Mushroom Pie, etc...).

8. Waitlisting a cabin - currently we have a B1 guarantee. Any advice on how to get the option of selecting a specific cabin #, or do have to wait for pot luck? We really don't want on the bow & prefer not to be on the aft - like midship.

Sorry, in all the years of cruising (26 years+), we have never experienced a Guarantee status. Wish you luck for the specific location you are wishing for.

9. Upgrade fairy for the guarantee - any tricks to this? For instance, if we get a guarantee on some categories we will probably be upgraded outside of our cabin type - such as, from Britannia to Britannia Club, etc.?

We only once received a Upgrade at the pier as a complete surprise. From a A1 to Q5 on the QE2, from Deck 1 to Boat Deck - Pre Suite Cabin (with butler service). What a treat!

10. Comp washers & dryers - I have some travel laundry products, but is the laundry soap provided also? Are these appliances usually unavailable or require a long wait?

Laundry Room are located on the QM2 on the Following Decks:

Deck 11, Forward

Deck 10, Forward

Deck 8, Midship

Deck 6, Rear

Deck 5, Rear

Deck 4, Midship

We have seen people in there in the past. Unfortunately we have heard people doing their laundry and sometimes leaving the wash in the machines and coming back later. Don't know how often that happens.

If you happen to be Platinum or Diamond World Club Member, you will also get 20% Discount on cabin service Dry Cleaning & Laundry Service.

Warned you I have lots of questions!

Thru Questions, We All Learn....

I'm so glad the tips are auto added - makes it so much more civilized! Wish all cruiselines would do that - as long as the service warrants such.

True......

Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify matters on point 5. If you were wearing a tux or a full length gown, you might feel awkward carrying a tray of food and sitting at a table without a table cloth in the King’s Court buffet. (You would only keep to the dress code if you were eating at the pre-booked waiter-served sections of the Kings’ Court.)

We used the buffet one formal evening at 7.00pm and dressed casually (we were sat opposite someone wearing shorts). We then went back to our cabin to change into formal clothes before we went to the theatre.

Just to clarify matters on point 5. If you were wearing a tux or a full length gown, you might feel awkward carrying a tray of food and sitting at a table without a table cloth in the King’s Court buffet. (You would only keep to the dress code if you were eating at the pre-booked waiter-served sections of the Kings’ Court.)

We used the buffet one formal evening at 7.00pm and dressed casually (we were sat opposite someone wearing shorts). We then went back to our cabin to change into formal clothes before we went to the theatre.

Good point but I would opt to do that on a non-formal night so you would not have to change to go to the theater in Formal Wear.

A different dress down night would make you feel more comfortable.

Thank you for respecting the Formal Nite Dress.

Here are QM2 Daily Programmes for a 5-day cruise in 2009, a 10-day cruise in 2008, and a round trip TA in 2006. Lots of information there about dining hours and on board activities. Bon voyage!

Many Thanks for those, ery good to see and read about what goes on. Does anyone have any of these from a Eastbound crossing that I can look at.

Cheers

Gary

Twoatsea, you have gotten some very helpful answers to your questions. How exciting that you will soon be taking your first Cunard cruise!

We have booked a guarantee twice on the QM2. Both times we have gotten upgrades and very desirable cabins. I hope you have the same experience.

I can't help you with the waitlist. We have not done that. I see nothing wrong with your calling Cunard frequently to inquire about the status of your guarantee and your waitlists. My hunch is that if cabins become available in a certain catagory that is waitlisted, whoever inquires first gets the cabin. Of course, I may be completely wrong about that.

I hope you have a fabulous journey.

Beth

Archived