Best flight times after Splendor

Minmounce

We are sailing on the Splendor Feb. 7 - 14, 2010 and I am trying to book the flights. My options are:

SNA - 12 pm

LGB - 11:15am

LAX - 12:45 pm, 2pm or 3:30 pm

We would much prefer flying back to Seattle out or SNA or LGB but I am a little concerned about the timing. I also seem to remember the check in and security lines at LAX could be extremely long and possible time consuming. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that you can never book a flight late enough to cover every possible contigency.

You'll probably be off the ship before 9:30-10:00, and at the airport before 11:00

Having said that, In my opinion a 3:30 flight guaranties that you will spend 3-5 boring hours sitting at the airport.

I think that an optimal flight time would be about 12:30-1:00.

SNA - 12 pm

Personally, I'd book the 2 PM flight at LAX. If you get there earlier, you can try to get on the 12:45 flight.

Sure, there are days when everything goes perfectly when debarking from Splendor, and you'll be off the ship early.

But there are also lots of times where these things occur:

Fog or weather causes them to wait several hours to pull into port.

Crew Customs day, means you'll debark late.

Customs problem if there are any non-English speaking people on the ship who don't hear or understand the announcements. You will have to wait possibly hours until they find them.

The gangplank malfunctions or has a problem.

Traffic accident or construction.

All of these things have happened, and do happen enough to take them into consideration.

So, do you feel lucky?

If so, then you can make the 11:15 AM LGB flight; and also the 12 PM SNA flight.

But what is your contingency plan if you aren't so lucky on that day?

How much of a gambler are you?

Your options, your choice.;)

We just got of the splendor with a 12:30 flight....we did the self assist and left on the first call at 8:10 AM, we get to the customs and my Father inlaw forgets his jacket in his room, has to go back and get it......20 minute delay.......THEN going through customs he stupidly says he has cigars and bingo 30 minute search of all their luggage....my father inlaw is the type who thinks a joke is the way to have fun but NEVER with customs.....by now we have been standing outside waiting not knowing whats going on and taking so long........any way we got there by 10:30 AM and there were no lines at the ticket counter or security and stil had an hour and a half wait for our 12:30 flight......

This is just our experience.....and yes it was stressfull .....

Rick

We are sailing on the Splendor Feb. 7 - 14, 2010 and I am trying to book the flights. My options are:

SNA - 12 pm

We would much prefer flying back to Seattle out or SNA or LGB but I am a little concerned about the timing. I also seem to remember the check in and security lines at LAX could be extremely long and possible time consuming. Any suggestions?

Yes, avoid LAX. If you're flying back to SEA, that probably means AS/Alaska Air, and the terminal at LAX that they use, sucks beyond belief.

I've seen greyhound stations in better shape

I'll be on the Splendor, Oct 25, and my flight (Alaska) to Seattle from LGB is at 11:40...guess they redid their schedule. I got a great price and wanted to avoid LAX...if something happens, oh well, I'll deal with it. Or rent a car and drive home....my daughter and I did a straight 19 hr a few years ago from San Diego...LOL!!

Thanks for the heads up for next time. We will be using Alaska air this time as we have $600.00 in credits due to a bump. Unfortunately it looks like the LAX flight at 2pm will be our best option. LAX will be fine we just prefer the smaller airports.

Archived