Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

I have been wearing jeans on casual night for about 13 years or so on RCI.... My first time was an Alaska cruise in 1996, and I went straight from walking around Haines to the MDR.

Normally, on Caribbean cruises I'll wear dockers because they are lighter, but iusually on the last night I will wear the jeans that I will be wearing off the ship the next day (I don't want to get the slacks dirty loading the luggage in the car.)

Aloha,

John

ps: Of course, I wear a collared shirt! :-)

Sometimes you read too fast. I was responding to the post right above mine that was essentially asking "where do you draw the line" once you say jeans and shorts are ok. I expanded on the jeans part by essentially asking once you say jeans are ok, what about not so nice jeans and who gets to decide what is not so nice? I couldn't agree more that a nice pair of designer jeans with heels and a nice shirt looks great on a woman and should be fine for casual nights. But what do you tell the teenager that has a pair of designer jeans with one rip in one knee. Well.....ok, pretty close. Then along comes another woman with one rip and one hole.... it never ends until you get the totally trashed jeans. Same with shorts. Once you start, you can never go back.

So, to beat the dead horse one more time, if everyone would simply dress to the suggested guidelines, no one has to decide anything.

Peter

Okay, but to me that is utterly ridiculous. I am seriously asking you - so if we just follow only the suggested guidelines, which means I now need to buy things I don't own because they are far too old for me - I mean, my Grandma said 'slacks' I don't even know what that means...is that the elastic waist pull over nylon pants?:D (no flaming - my Mom wears those and looks lovely but I wouldn't as they are a bit too matronly for me as are dockers) Anyway - so now you are saying that if a person comes in a tux with rips and holes that this is somehow different than the mentality of a person in jeans with holes? I mean, if I come in the required (by your pleading of just following the suggested guidelines only) cocktail dress - which means I can no longer wear the usual dressy, sparkly formal gowns I usually wear because a cocktail dress denotes a tea length semi-formal dress - that it's okay if that has rips and holes in it? Just so you know, it isn't formal night by RCCL's description if the man is wearing a tux, which is formal, and the woman is wearing a cocktail dress, which is semi-formal - just something for you to think about. Why would someone that would come in rips and holes with one type of material not come in rips and holes in another type of material??

I don't know anyone that wears ripped up, holey jeans - at all. Maybe in the 80's. And if a child (teen included) is not dressed in presentable (not dirty, not ripped) clothing then it is the parents to blame, not the dress code....

Wow, who cares? I can't imagine my vacation hours being THAT empty that I start caring who is wearing what in the dining room:rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly! I wonder if people actually pay as much attention to what everyone else wearing on their cruise as they complain about it on the boards.

I don't get it? People pay all this money to take a "nicer" vacation but don't want to put out the effort to look the part?! Jeans are great for McDonalds but I would't wear them on the cruise unless maybe lunch in the windjammer. Not the MDR. There are very few things in life that take real effort any more and people just seem to enjoy killing the atmosphere on these cruises. I know it is all a matter of opinion. If I wanted a vacation where dress didn't matter I'd go on a land vacation. What happed to the days when a cruise was a speacial kind of vacation and what you wore mattered? Have we all just become so Lazy??

Every time this thread starts I ask myself, why do people care? Now I like dressing up on formal night and I own my own tux, but that's just my thing. And non-formal nights I still don't understand why it matters.

I really could care less what someone sitting next to me or at the next table is wearing. My wife and I getting dressed up is our thing, we do it for ourselves no one else.

I also often wonder why there isn't a thread about people that wear suits / tux's on casual nights! Why is that ok but the opposite is not?

I don't get it? People pay all this money to take a "nicer" vacation but don't want to put out the effort to look the part?! Jeans are great for McDonalds but I would't wear them on the cruise unless maybe lunch in the windjammer. Not the MDR. There are very few things in life that take real effort any more and people just seem to enjoy killing the atmosphere on these cruises. I know it is all a matter of opinion. If I wanted a vacation where dress didn't matter I'd go on a land vacation. What happed to the days when a cruise was a speacial kind of vacation and what you wore mattered? Have we all just become so Lazy??

It's not laziness or not wanting to pay- my jeans cost three times the amount of a pair of cheap khaki's for sure and twice the style. In metropolitan areas, jeans, heels and a dressy top is what you wear - not a business type outfit for an evening out. And for what it's worth, our cruise is far, far cheaper than the land vacations we take. A woman wearing a shapeless cotton dress or an outdated pantsuit has put far less effort into her outfit than mine, I'll guarantee it. I'm sorry, but if you're looking for the type of cruise where what you wear matters, it isn't the mass market cruise lines. I hope that didn't come off as rude, but if you're thinking "farmer joe' as a jeans outfit then I don't think you get the idea. Plus, we are talking about casual night - not formal night....

I have been searching the RCI site and I am having no luck finding where its says jeans are not permitted in the MDR. I thought it was in there somewhere. Is it still there? Thanks.

I've searched and searched too, and never found it. I emailed, was told that RCCL understands that to keep with current sytles it understands that people wear expensive, well made neat jeans and that those are fine for causal night. I also called several times (we all know why!:p) and was told pretty much the same thing. On the Radiance, we asked the maitre'd and also called the desk and were told jeans are perfectly acceptable for MDR on casual night.:)

I care what I wear on all of my vacations......and never have considered a cruise more special then any of my land vacations.....I take pride in the way I look in my jeans....

Only lazy people wear jeans:confused: I love this board:D

I've searched and searched too, and never found it. I emailed, was told that RCCL understands that to keep with current sytles it understands that people wear expensive, well made neat jeans and that those are fine for causal night. I also called several times (we all know why!:p) and was told pretty much the same thing. On the Radiance, we asked the maitre'd and also called the desk and were told jeans are perfectly acceptable for MDR on casual night.:)

Thanks. This makes sense to me. I never wear jeans even at home but the wife has nice designer jeans she enjoys wearing.

Sometimes you read too fast. I was responding to the post right above mine that was essentially asking "where do you draw the line" once you say jeans and shorts are ok. I expanded on the jeans part by essentially asking once you say jeans are ok, what about not so nice jeans and who gets to decide what is not so nice? I couldn't agree more that a nice pair of designer jeans with heels and a nice shirt looks great on a woman and should be fine for casual nights. But what do you tell the teenager that has a pair of designer jeans with one rip in one knee. Well.....ok, pretty close. Then along comes another woman with one rip and one hole.... it never ends until you get the totally trashed jeans. Same with shorts. Once you start, you can never go back.

So, to beat the dead horse one more time, if everyone would simply dress to the suggested guidelines, no one has to decide anything.

Peter

Simple........just leave it up to RCCL..........

In an elegant dining room with white table cloths and crystal chandeliers I would feel very under dressed in jeans of any kind. I don't think you can differentiate between designer jeans, or levis or wranglers. Everyone always talks about the comfort. Jeans are hot and for some of us very uncomfortable. And if you like to see jeans in the dining room would you like to see what many of the young men wear today, jeans, with the waist below their butt. This is unacceptable to me any where, but for some of you it is okay, I am sure.

I believe this is somewhat of a generational thing. When I was in my 20's, I don't think I owned a pair of jeans. Today's generation thinks jeans are the only thing to wear.

Unfortunately we are becoming a casual society and it won't be long before dress codes of any kind are non-existent.

JMO

I think that nice jeans would look just fine on casual night, especially for the ladies. Shorts, however, are out of place in the evening in the MDR. Just my opinion, but I really don't care what others wear.

I would not wear jeans anywhere in the Caribbean. I spent 4 years in Puerto Rico in the Navy. I had to wear dungarees (jeans!) every day. My best friend was the can of baby powder I kept in my shop!

In an elegant dining room with white table cloths and crystal chandeliers I would feel very under dressed in jeans of any kind. I don't think you can differentiate between designer jeans, or levis or wranglers. Everyone always talks about the comfort. Jeans are hot and for some of us very uncomfortable. And if you like to see jeans in the dining room would you like to see what many of the young men wear today, jeans, with the waist below their butt. This is unacceptable to me any where, but for some of you it is okay, I am sure.

I believe this is somewhat of a generational thing. When I was in my 20's, I don't think I owned a pair of jeans. Today's generation thinks jeans are the only thing to wear.

Unfortunately we are becoming a casual society and it won't be long before dress codes of any kind are non-existent.

JMO

Dress codes will always exist........and designs will always change..........fortunately:D

But I have to say if someone cannot figure what type of jeans to wear for dinner........then they should not wear jeans.........it is not rocket science........

JMO

You mean like this?

jeans.jpg.63bc038dcc0ef52e96eab95b477010cb.jpg

I wouldn't wear jeans in the MDR anymore than I'd wear them to church or a job interview. I feel like the MDR is "dressed up" for us - white tablecloths, napkins and fine china - and we should reciprocate. It sets a 'mood'.

And how much a pair of jeans cost is meaningless - jeans are jeans.

On the other hand, I gotta be honest and say I derive a great deal of entertainment from people-watching - particularly on formal night :p

And I can hardly bear to look at my own thighs, let alone force anyone else to do so and maintain an appetite! :D

LOL :p

Personally, I would rather sit with someone in the MDR who was wearing shorts than with someone who insisted on keeping their baseball cap on throughout the dinner. You all know what I mean.....not talking about someone wearing a hat due to medical problems.

[i really could care less what someone sitting next to me or at the next table is wearing. My wife and I getting dressed up is our thing, we do it for ourselves no one else.

I also often wonder why there isn't a thread about people that wear suits / tux's on casual nights! Why is that ok but the opposite is not?[/quote]

I have asked that question more than once on these boards. Most of the complainers about casual dress say its because people aren't following the "rules" and or "guidelines". If I wear a suit on casual night or Caribbean shirt night I am not following the rules either. So it really isn't about following rules is it?

I wouldn't wear jeans in the MDR anymore than I'd wear them to church or a job interview. I feel like the MDR is "dressed up" for us - white tablecloths, napkins and fine china - and we should reciprocate. It sets a 'mood'.

And how much a pair of jeans cost is meaningless - jeans are jeans.

On the other hand, I gotta be honest and say I derive a great deal of entertainment from people-watching - particularly on formal night :p

We wear jeans at our church out here in So Cal..... Calvary Chapel..........and so does our minister;)

[i really could care less what someone sitting next to me or at the next table is wearing. My wife and I getting dressed up is our thing, we do it for ourselves no one else.

I also often wonder why there isn't a thread about people that wear suits / tux's on casual nights! Why is that ok but the opposite is not?[/quote]

I have asked that question more than once on these boards. Most of the complainers about casual dress say its because people aren't following the "rules" and or "guidelines". If I wear a suit on casual night or Caribbean shirt night I am not following the rules either. So it really isn't about following rules is it?

Please email what medication you take. You'e something else. One more time for old struther1. I'm pretty sure the guidelines are the minimum acceptable wear. Kind of like the signs at Disney World. I'm sure they don't mean anyone taller than the arrow can't ride the ride either!

Peter

Archived