Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

Playing a little unfair here. I guess you are invoking His holy name on

a forlorn sinner. And that is inappropriate. And somehow you are judging me.

I did not say I judge the quality of the inner person because of what they wear. I am saying that often the way a person presents himself

is a reflection of how they view themselves and wants to be perceived.

I think the fashion business would be out of luck if this were not the case.

On this level, clothes do make the man. And whether you like it or not,

perception often becomes reality.

I choose to present myself in the most positive and inoffensive manner

that I can. You can do that on vacation, it isn that hard.

Not exactly sure who you are but I wasn't judging anyone. I just thought this thread needed a country song. I didn't write the words.

I did not say I judge the quality of the inner person because of what they wear. I am saying that often the way a person presents himself

Not exactly sure who you are but I wasn't judging anyone. I just thought this thread needed a country song. I didn't write the words but they must have hit home with you.

Not exactly sure who you are but I wasn't judging anyone. I just thought this thread needed a country song. I didn't write the words but they must have hit home with you.

Sorry about the triple play posts, my home computer sucks. But I did want to add something to the NordicPrince, since you think I'm judging you, I'll talk to you. I went back and read your other post to know who you were. My dad died when I was very young so he left me no words of wisdom but I have taught my kids these things.

1. Don't judge a book by it cover. Things and people aren't always as they seem.

2. If people are uncomfortable around you because of who you are or what they wear attribute it to the narrowness of their minds and the hardness of their hearts.

3. Clothes don't make the man.

4. Dress for your comfort and don't worry about what others are wearing.

5. People who tell you, like it or not 'perception is reality' are full of it.

Before I go, if others feel the need to attack me because I'm stupid and can't post without posting the same thing three times or because of my views, flame on. I don't need a flame resistent suit because as Chief Ten Bears might have said "There is no fire in your words"

I also live in the Greater NYC area. Lots of times if you don't have a

jacket they will loan you one for dinner.

I was just wondering, being that you have experience in the fine dining

industry, does the attire of patrons ever alter where in the dining room

they are seated or what service they get? In other words, how is the room "managed"? Doesn't perception matter?

I would like to see if a parallel can be made to the jeans-shorts discussion.

Also, doesn't the staff have to maintain a certain appearance for the

perceived ambiance and service of the establishment? Of course they

could just wear jeans or shorts too!

I respect and welcome your opinion on this.

Sure, I'm always happy to give my opinion, ask anyone here! lol:p No, we don't 'arrange' the room. I know what you mean, talk shows always try to put people in certain colors in certain places, and whatnot. But no, not in NYC. And someone in a suit doesn't get any better service than someone in a more casual outfit. If you did that you would likely be giving the best service to the 'one time a year - special occasion' diner then the person that can actually afford to patronize your restaurant once a week instead. If that was the case, we would have alienated a lot of wealthy people (who wear suits ALL day and definetly don't to in order to go out and eat). It's a more casual society now, and the places that would require a jacket are getting smaller and smaller.

At least in NYC, celebrities and the wealthy aren't interested in getting dressed up for dinner. They don't need to put forth a perception of wealth or class by their clothing - they already have it. The best indicator of class, in my opinon, is those that don't need to keep claiming they have it and they certainly don't have to put it on their backs.

I understand your wanting to influence the perception of yourself that other people have. I, on the other hand, don't wish to socialize much with those that haven't evolved to a place where one doesn't make snap judgements or perceptions of a person based on what they wear....:)

Oh, and the staff at a lot of places has to wear a full tux. That doesn't mean that the food is worthy of formal wear, though. I also wouldn't want to be dressed in the same outfit as the servers!:p

I've never really wondered about whether jeans are shorts are appropriate. Probably because I wear nice sundresses on casual nights and then formal dresses on formal nights. That's just my personal preference. On a cruise, I like wearing things that I might not normally wear. And I also like shopping for new clothes to wear on a cruise (although my DH isn't so excited about my shopping excursions :D). That being said, I really could care less what someone else is wearing. I'm too busy enjoying my food. :)

Sure, I'm always happy to give my opinion, ask anyone here! lol:p No, we don't 'arrange' the room. I know what you mean, talk shows always try to put people in certain colors in certain places, and whatnot. But no, not in NYC. And someone in a suit doesn't get any better service than someone in a more casual outfit. If you did that you would likely be giving the best service to the 'one time a year - special occasion' diner then the person that can actually afford to patronize your restaurant once a week instead. If that was the case, we would have alienated a lot of wealthy people (who wear suits ALL day and definetly don't to in order to go out and eat). It's a more casual society now, and the places that would require a jacket are getting smaller and smaller.

At least in NYC, celebrities and the wealthy aren't interested in getting dressed up for dinner. They don't need to put forth a perception of wealth or class by their clothing - they already have it. The best indicator of class, in my opinon, is those that don't need to keep claiming they have it and they certainly don't have to put it on their backs.

I understand your wanting to influence the perception of yourself that other people have. I, on the other hand, don't wish to socialize much with those that haven't evolved to a place where one doesn't make snap judgements or perceptions of a person based on what they wear....:)

Oh, and the staff at a lot of places has to wear a full tux. That doesn't mean that the food is worthy of formal wear, though. I also wouldn't want to be dressed in the same outfit as the servers!:p

Well said. And I think that's true in places like Miami and LA, and even in Chicago and other larger cities. What is considered ok for a nice restaurant in these cities, some on here might not feel fits into their mold. People in South Beach don't wear Dockers and few probably even wear ties, but most people look pretty nice when they head out for dinner. And I can't imagine a restaurant in NYC telling some star or famous athlete that he can't come in because he's not wearing a tie. The maitre d's and waiters can spot class a mile away; chances are, if you're spouting off about how classy and sophisticated you are, the more likely you aren't.

I've never really wondered about whether jeans are shorts are appropriate. Probably because I wear nice sundresses on casual nights and then formal dresses on formal nights. That's just my personal preference. On a cruise, I like wearing things that I might not normally wear. And I also like shopping for new clothes to wear on a cruise (although my DH isn't so excited about my shopping excursions :D). That being said, I really could care less what someone else is wearing. I'm too busy enjoying my food. :)

Very good attitude sandy beach girl. I think most people share that attitude, I know I do.

Colleen

Sorry about the triple play posts, my home computer sucks. But I did want to add something to the NordicPrince, since you think I'm judging you, I'll talk to you. I went back and read your other post to know who you were. My dad died when I was very young so he left me no words of wisdom but I have taught my kids these things.

1. Don't judge a book by it cover. Things and people aren't always as they seem.

2. If people are uncomfortable around you because of who you are or what they wear attribute it to the narrowness of their minds and the hardness of their hearts.

Before I go, if others feel the need to attack me because I'm stupid and can't post without posting the same thing three times or because of my views, flame on. I don't need a flame resistent suit because as Chief Ten Bears might have said "There is no fire in your words"[/quote

struther1,

You are far from stupid. Posting 3 times just made me realize that you wanted to get your point across!!! LOL!!! Plus it made your post 3 times as Good!

I'm like you. I am looking for the quality of the persons conversation, heart and soul, not necessarily what they are wearing if they are sitting at my table.

And just to really add something, in all the many cruises I have been on, most of the people show up showered and looking pretty "spiffy" (to use an old fashioned word) whether they are wearing, tux, jacket and tie, polo shirt and jeans, dress, skirt, pants or capris or jeans. Are people out there really encountering people that are not clean and nice looking when they eat in the MDR? I'm sorry, I just don't see it or notice it.

JMO,

Colleen

Before I go, if others feel the need to attack me because I'm stupid and can't post without posting the same thing three times or because of my views, flame on. I don't need a flame resistent suit because as Chief Ten Bears might have said "There is no fire in your words"[/quote

struther1,

You are far from stupid. Posting 3 times just made me realize that you wanted to get your point across!!! LOL!!! Plus it made your post 3 times as Good!

I'm like you. I am looking for the quality of the persons conversation, heart and soul, not necessarily what they are wearing if they are sitting at my table.

And just to really add something, in all the many cruises I have been on, most of the people show up showered and looking pretty "spiffy" (to use an old fashioned word) whether they are wearing, tux, jacket and tie, polo shirt and jeans, dress, skirt, pants or capris or jeans. Are people out there really encountering people that are not clean and nice looking when they eat in the MDR? I'm sorry, I just don't see it or notice it.

JMO,

Colleen

Colleen,

Thanks. I don't personally know anyone on these boards, except DW and Nick and Carole , my tablemates from last cruise, but I can tell who I would like to sit down and have dinner with by reading their posts and it certainly has NOTHING to do with their clothes. And it would be my pleasure to have you as a tablemate someday. As far as how stupid I am, if I saw saw saw someone else post three times in a row the same thing, I probably would have said "Is that person stupid or what"? But that was before yesterday, hopefully this doesn't show up three times since I'm back on the home computer.

And I can't imagine a restaurant in NYC telling some star or famous athlete that he can't come in because he's not wearing a tie. The maitre d's and waiters can spot class a mile away;

In my narrow mind, I'm not convinced that those two sentences go together. Are you implying that being a "star" or a "famous athlete" automatically means "class"? And because of their "status" with some people, they should being given a pass in life? Or are the maitre d's and waiters looking after their benefactors with their hands out?

I know a lot of people who are not stars or famous athletes that have more "class". Wealth does not automatically equal class. Some of those famous "classy" people are now doing prison time.

In my narrow mind, I'm not convinced that those two sentences go together. Are you implying that being a "star" or a "famous athlete" automatically means "class"? And because of their "status" with some people, they should being given a pass in life? Or are the maitre d's and waiters looking after their benefactors with their hands out?

I know a lot of people who are not stars or famous athletes that have more "class". Wealth does not automatically equal class. Some of those famous "classy" people are now doing prison time.

You're right--they don't necessarily go together. I was responding to her post and the sentences went together, but should not have.

I absolutely agree that being a "star" or being "famous" does not mean you have class. Far from that. She had said that a lot of famous people in NY don't dress up for dinner, and so that's what the first comment is meant towards. I think they are given a pass and don't think that any restaurant would turn them away if they showed up in shorts.

As a separate point, waiters, etc., can sense things about people based on more than what they wear. A person doesn't have to be dressed nicely to have class, and most people can sense that. There has been discussion on other posts about not wanting to be on a cruise with certain groups because they won't be in traditional wear for formal night, and I am on record saying that you should not judge a book by its cover.

Sorry for the confusion.

I wear my denim capris with nice shoes and a nice top and think they look fine, would like your opinion though?

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p45570825.html (im the one in turquoise!)

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p40321573.html

You look gorgeous in both!! Love the bright colors you wear, too - totally appropriate and perfect for cruising. I'm a redhead, blue eyes and pale, pale, pale, so can't get away with pinks and reds - you look great!!:D

I wear my denim capris with nice shoes and a nice top and think they look fine, would like your opinion though?

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p45570825.html (im the one in turquoise!)

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p40321573.html

You look great in those pictures and your outfit is totally appropriate.

One off topic note.....is that Bernie (waitress) in the first picture?

Your question referred to "Casual Night". If I remember correctly, the only casual nights are the first night and the last night onboard.

The first night, the dress code is relaxed because some people may not have had a chance to unpack, and are wearing the same clothes they embarked with. On that night, shorts and jeans are permitted.

The second casual night is the last, when you need to have started packing to set your luggage outside the door.

The other nights are "Smart Casual" and "Formal" where shorts are definitely out.

Your question referred to "Casual Night". If I remember correctly, the only casual nights are the first night and the last night onboard.

The first night, the dress code is relaxed because some people may not have had a chance to unpack, and are wearing the same clothes they embarked with. On that night, shorts and jeans are permitted.

The second casual night is the last, when you need to have started packing to set your luggage outside the door.

The other nights are "Smart Casual" and "Formal" where shorts are definitely out.

It used to be that way, but not anymore. Now it is just formal, or casual. At least on the FOS it is that way. so all nights not formal are casual.:)

My parents are flying into Columbus for the game tomorrow. They are very excited, as my dad tries to get there for a game every year (I'm outnumbered in my family).

Go Badgers! ;)

Nothing to do with clothing. But the Badgers are going to go alright. Go home with their tails between their legs. Mark it down ,this won't be close

Buckeyes 30 Badgers 10. But if I'm wrong I still think jeans and shorts are O.K. on casual nights.

It used to be that way, but not anymore. Now it is just formal, or casual. At least on the FOS it is that way. so all nights not formal are casual.

I don't think that it was ever that way. My experience, on a 7 nighter, is that there were two formals, one semi formal and four casuals. The semi formal then changed to smart casual. It seems to be hit and miss by ship regarding the smart casual or all casual. On our last cruise, a 15 nighter, there were three formals, three smart casual and the rest casual.

Archived